Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help! Smarty Doesn't Work Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be a pretty safe bet. You could probably pick up a 12v engine for the price you'd sell the 24v at. On the same token, if I were dead set on a 12v, it would be much easier to just buy a 12v truck and sell the 24v truck instead.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Well another update on this, now that the cold weather has hit. Have probably 12k km on it now, and I now have a couple problems with it. Once it is running for a couple minutes, the pump will high idle itself. Cold start, it will idle at around 850 (where I set it), and after between 2 to 5 minutes, it will idle at around 1100-1400 rpm. Its not gonna hurt anything yet, but it is annoying when I come from work at 5:30 in the morning to a hotel and the truck is at 1300 rpm.

Other issue is on a cool to cold day, lots of whit smoke and runs real rough. If I run the Espar, its a non issue (even at -25), but I fired the truck up last night without the heater (-14), and I could barely get it home. Anything above an idle it was running real rough, missing away. I'm pretty sure its an injector issue (since when the heater runs, it doesn't do it, and the pump doesn't get engine coolant circulated though it), but I've got a set of 150 DDP's set for the p-pump. Should be nice on Tueday and then I can toss them in. I sure hope that cures it. I also sent off my 175 pump off my 12v engine and its getting turned into a Dragon Fly from Industrial Injection. So if the injectors don't fix this, the DF pump is going on and that should help narrow down the problems.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Just to throwing this out there but I had white smoke studdering and rough running problems when cold and it turned out that my timming had slipped to 8*. I had it set to 15 and she was all good.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM

I might check that. But I had this issue for a while (although not this bad) when it was around 10 out. Just smoke and stutter at around 2k rpm. Checked my timing and it was still where I set it. But it never hurts to check it out. I'm wondering if the VP usually adds more timing when its cold like this to help get the fuel to burn better.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock VP programming advances timing pretty aggressively in cold weather until the engine is up to temp. More timing dumps more heat into the engine's internals and speeds warmup.

jh
Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
The stock VP programming advances timing pretty aggressively in cold weather until the engine is up to temp. More timing dumps more heat into the engine's internals and speeds warmup.

jh
Twas my thinking. I guess I'm gonna have to find that balance between hard starts and poor running come cold weather. But the Espar makes it a lot easier to strike that balance. If nothing else, I will have some big sticks for it now. Thats all I need, more fuel I can't burn.