Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help! Smarty Doesn't Work Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Smarty Doesn't Work Anymore

All I did was change the injection pump. I knew there was something different about it.
Attached Thumbnails Help!  Smarty Doesn't Work Anymore-p7100.jpg  
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 PM

thats odd the smarty doesnt work with the new pump o well didnt like those silly computers anyway.

so how do you like the p-pump compared to the old pump.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 PM

So far its good. Need some more tuning and what not. Still need to get the solenoid in there to kill the truck, and there is a hunting issue when I shift gears. I'm not sure if thats related to the 4kgsk or if its not setup properly. I'm just happy I no longer have to worry about electronics with this truck. Oh, and no CEL!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news!
What do you mean hunting issue?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 PM

Yeah haw!!! Look great Tate, good job...Time to race my friend!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 PM

did you have the injectors pop off pressures set when you did the conversion. cause the vp44 and the p-pump have different pop off pressures . this could be part of that hunting issue you are having if you didnt get them reset. good look with your tuning

by the way it looks really good.did you buy a conversion kit or did you just buy the parts needed seperate
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Good news!
What do you mean hunting issue?
When I shift into third (or in and out of the throttle at all) it will jerk ahead, then slow, back and forth. At first I thought it was my foot slipping, but now I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if the GSK needs adjustment. But this is the first p-pump I've mucked with, so I'm still on a learning curve.

seabee, injectors haven't been touched in 2 years. It had a bit of a lope after my drive, but I believe that is due to a low idle (700). I'm gonna bump that up in the morning, as well as give it an oil change. I got the kit from Schied's, and then pieced together the rest.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 PM

The old smarty will work fine with this new setup, just be sure to hook it to the new pigtail on the back of the pump, just below the distributor, across from the #3 spark plug.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
When I shift into third (or in and out of the throttle at all) it will jerk ahead, then slow, back and forth. At first I thought it was my foot slipping, but now I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if the GSK needs adjustment. .
I had that at one time but... I cant remember what was causing it I got to lay off the beer
I remember it would do it so violently at WOT the tires would chirp but it went away after the 10kazillion adjustments I've made. Piers told me once what caused it but for the life of me I cant remember?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 AM

WOT is nice and smooth, its just low rpm where it happens. Speaking of WOT, I need more of it. Only get 31psi out of the turbo. Had 43 with the VP. Time to slide the plate forward.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 AM

There are some better profiles for performance than the #10 you got as it defuels pretty good upstairs. You may also want to up the timing a little more to the 16-17 range also.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 AM

Planning on both. I've got the stock plate thats gonna become a 100 eventually, and I'll bump the timing once I've got some more miles on it and have most of the issues out of the way. Still on stock gasket and head bolts, so not sure how far I'm gonna go with the timing.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16° should be a good start without comprimising the HG.. Up the idle to near 850 and it should take care of some of the low end lope. The low idle speed will cause the rack to pull back to near full off and try to kill the engine. You would be amazed how much idle speed setting affects it. I had trouble after getting the timing done with shifting to 3rd etc and finally bumped the idle up to 855 with A/C on and it sure smartened up..

I gotta see that thing!!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Chapter President

You sig is a smarty and a 10 plate. lol
Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
You sig is a smarty and a 10 plate. lol
Probably safe to say I'm the only one on the sight running both. Should I see if I can cram a dual CP3 in there too?

Jason, I'm gonna bump the idle up after do the oil change, and I'll probably slide the plate forward. I actually stalled the truck taking off in second. I'm gonna blame it on the low idle. The exhaust seems to have a little different sound too. Hard to explain. I'll give you a call when I'm coming home on my weekend off, meet up in Red Deer or something.

Quick Reply: Help! Smarty Doesn't Work Anymore