Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help me select turbo and mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Ph4tty, I'm going against the grain, your grain anyway. I am getting ready to order the juice w/ attitude, the pillar mount for the monitor, and AFE stage 2 with prefilter from Lary at DTR. His prices are great and I'd rather help the site out if I can by buying from them. I'll also get the parts for my stack. The stack is $80.00 and misc parts will probably be another $80. I figured I could install that stuff and see how much it added. If I need more, then next month, after another paycheck, I can go with Mach4's and a HTB2 or Phat Shaft 62 turbo and a new clutch.

Today's orders will be about $1300
Next months order, should I do it, will be $3200

Total $4500. Under budget and surley to Heaven all that I will need to leave my brother-in-law behind pullin' his trailer eatin' my dust! Not that he out pulls me now with his '03 2500 stock, but no contest after today!

Fells good to almost be a member of the BOMBERS club! You fellas let me in to your club?????

Thanks so much for you guys taking time to help me out and giving me your advice. And thanks to Lary (top) for giving me such good prices!!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered

you can buy 2 stacks for 100 bucks off of ebay. Where are you getting the one for 80 bucks?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

http://www.berubes.com/index.html

Not a big fan of Ebay. Too many fuads and crooks out there. I'd rather spend a little more for piece of mind and cust service.

Since my truck in at home, I rode the hog to work today, what is the od of the stock pipe? Is it 3.5 or 4 inch. You'd think I would know this, but I have never messed with it. I just took it in and told ol' boy to cut the crap off of it and leave me with a straight pipe.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Well, Ph4tty, I'm going against the grain, your grain anyway.
Its all good man. I was just trying to steer the thread in the right direction
Old 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

if you need a 4" down pipe that will bolt to the stock turbo, PM me I have an extra, then you can go 4" straight back to your stack and sound great and cool better than the stock 3" down pipe will
Old 09-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

The Results are in.

Well, gents and ladies, the bombing has been called to cease fire. I have spent all my money and are very satisfied with a screamin' truck. The mods I finally selected with you all's input is below. I just thought I'd come back and post a final "It freakin' flys" for anyone who might want to do the same to their truck in the future.

Special Thanks:

Redstreak: Thanks for the great prices for the turbo and clutch. You guys should PM him next time you need something. He has good prices and will work with you for anything you need. GOOD PRICE, GOOD SERVICE, GOOD PLACE TO DO BUSINESS.

Blackdiesel: Thanks for the injectors, I love them. I appreciate you taking your own truck down to send them to me and wait a week for the cores! What guy you are.

Dusty Ratcliff: Thanks so much for trading me a 40 style downpipe for my 35'er. You really saved me some dough. This 35er will go out tomorrow back to you.

I have learned so much in the last two weeks. I would have never been able to do all this stuff myself without you all's help, suggestions, and tech support. Thanks so much!

Things I've learned:

1) "FACTORY REPLACEMENT", and "BOLTS RIGHT ON" are as bad as the fine print on a car loan. I spent an hour modifying (that is not usually what I call it) the turbo oil return pipe. The wastegate rod on this II PS62 is right in the dang way. Seems like they'd not put it there or send a new pipe with the turbo.

2) When a bolt is stuck and you really crank on it, remember the engine block is right behind your elbow. When the bolt finally breaks loose, you will crack your elbow and drip blood on your pretty Cummins. (that is after a few choice words that my mom wouldn't appreciate).

3) You are never done tinkering with things and always want more...

Now, where's that FASS system......
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

thats funny, my elbow wasnt bleeding, and didnt have to modify my drain line for the 62/14. bet that hurt.

hows the clutch to drive? any grabbyness(whoo) when backing the trailer?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Seems to be a crapshoot on S300 drain lines...the Super B, and B1 I ran I had to modify the drain line/wastegate linkage...the S300 I have now bolted up no problems.

Maybe it's just the .8/14cm housings...the Super B and B1 both had the bigger housing, but the S300 I have is a .7 housing??

Don't know!
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
thats funny, my elbow wasnt bleeding, and didnt have to modify my drain line for the 62/14. bet that hurt.

hows the clutch to drive? any grabbyness(whoo) when backing the trailer?
And it was my "mouse" elbow to! It is even a little sore to type. Anyway, my stupidity aside, the new clutch is great. The pedal still feels stock to me. I guess it does get a litte heavy at long lights, but not much more than usual. It was smooth as silk when I first put it in. It is getting seated better and is starting to be just the slightest bit grabby, but not bad considering I usually start out in 2nd gear. It is highly recommended to always start in 1st by clutch manufactueres, but this 6 speed will kill you if you do. Shift, Shift, Shift, Shift, Shift, Shift. I haven't had a trailer on it yet, but will be hauling my smoker in to town tomorrow. It only weights about #3200, (see gallery for pic) but we'll see how she backs. I might also have to bring my flatbed gooseneck in to town this week also, I'll know more then.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Hope that elbow's doing much better - I definitely know how you feel there.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redstreak
Hope that elbow's doing much better - I definitely know how you feel there.
You know, momma always told me not to eat with my elbows on the table, and now I see why. If you hurt one, you cant! That some-buck still hurts! I knew that little scrawney guy was up to something. He said, "hey muscles, come break those two bolts lose." It if would have happened on the first bolt, the second bolt would still be on the truck! That little Indiana punk........I call him the Yankee. He loves it. My old roommate calls him the little mexican. That kills him because he is dark complected, but not south of the border at all. We have a good time....in between Coors Extra Golds.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Update!

Just a little update on the truck in case anyone is curious to how it pulls a trailer. I brought my 24' gooseneck into town this morning with my 10 footer on behind it and no one could keep up with me (empty, but still an all steel trailer with a steel floor and lots of crap on it). I could accelerate up a hill in 6th gear and not cross 1050 egt! That rocks! That 5 inch exhaust and PS62/14 paid off! I was running in 2-2 on my box and not much smoke at all once cruising, even while accelerating past old people! I mean, slower drivers. I've never pulled such hills without downshifting before. All smiles here...........except that 3 psi at WOT!!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM

I'm glad its working out so well for ya
Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Well, just keeping it alive

Another worthless post with great info in it!

I just got back from my trip to the Texas border...glad I'm back! Had to jab the Texas guys! I pulled somewhere around #24,000 total almost 200 miles with the truck and man does this sob pull! It pulled so good, I blew two tires off the trailer. The two tires looking at you in this pic are scattered somewhere around mile marker 107 on I-44 at the Newcastle exit. If you like jigsaw puzzles, you can pick this one up for free.

The truck pulled real good. I have never pulled a hill in 6th gear with over #20,000 on and not dropped mph. I was impressed. EGT's were at a highest 1100F on the long hills holding a boost of about 20 PSI to maintain 70 mph. Most of the time, I was running 70-75 mph at 15 PSI and 1050F on semi level ground. Lets just say there weren't no power strokers passing me even with a trailer on! ROCK ON!

After doing some calculations, I was over weight on the tires but not by far. Only around #100 by calculating. Dang light truck tires. They just don't hold up on a trailer.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jory my god were you board at work today or what LOL thats the most detailed home brew cat scale i have ever seen

Quick Reply: Help me select turbo and mods!!!