Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help Me Pick Some Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Help Me Pick Some Parts

The truck...2500 in sig.
Facts about the truck...it's super clean, 72k on the od and rarely abused. I'm the 2nd owner and I don't tow jack and I don't think the 1st owner did either.
I don't really drive it hard but do like to have power on tap

What I'm after: More power and better shifting, LOL.
Why? We're going on an across the country trip in July and I would like to get over the mountain passes with power to spare.

I've already put on a 4" MBRP exhaust last week and now have some gadges on the way.
What I want to get are:
1) Smarty (no brainer!)
2) Mach injectors, 1.6, 2 or more? Can't decide on which ones. I'm thinking Mach 2.
3) 3 clutch billet converter and throttle body. I really need some help on this one because there are so many company s to choose from and so far I've been eying Sun coast. I don't have time to totally go through the trans but it has been well maintained and has no problems except it's your basic slug box.
4) Deep trans pan...another no brainer.

PS & Edit: Cold air intake box is out of the budget for right now but I'm using a K&N in the stock air box.

And last but not least, besides thanks and all well appreciated, Heres the truck...
This pic is when I 1st got it at 48k and I now have BFG All Terrain T/A KOs on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Score of the century. That is nice! FASS pump wouldn't hurt cause the VP44 hates low fuel press.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Score of the century. That is nice! FASS pump wouldn't hurt cause the VP44 hates low fuel press.
Thanks. Dodge gave me the in tank pump after It died at a red light at 5:30 in the morning one day before work! Ruined my whole day lol. They said I ran it out of fuel and my gage was incorrect but but my overhead said 20 miles to go and I was going to the gas station right across the street. When the tow truck came we gassed it up but couldn't get it primed and running. The dealer bleed the fuel system and said there was nothing else wrong with it except the fuel sender but when I got home I swear that stupid lift pump was leaking (cleaned it with brake clean and watched it good) and took it back to Dodge and they gave me the new lift pump! After I raised a fit!

Sorry for the long story
I want to put off a system like the FASS for now. Maybe after I get back from the trip.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

We all have had a bad experience or two with dealers. Like to see what kind of bs they try to pull on the innocent bystander. Well you know. Don't know anything about the Smarty and a 2nd gen, but an Edge EZ sure wakes em up!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 AM

Maybe an XZT+ instead of smarty. Or go big and not do the injectors with an Adrenline.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM

You may want to put off the Fass but if I were you I would get some other type booster for that Vp especially if you are thinking of adding more power! As stated already the Vp hates low fuel pressure and they are expensive.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by schoust
You may want to put off the Fass but if I were you I would get some other type booster for that Vp especially if you are thinking of adding more power! As stated already the Vp hates low fuel pressure and they are expensive.
2nd this comment. factory LPs can go out anytime and if you're adding more power your going to need the fuel psi to keep the VP happy.
1.Gauges
2.amsoil or other brand, dry air intake - you don't want to keep sucking oil from the K&N filter into the turbo.
3.you already have exhaust, good choice.
4. Smarty, Adrenaline, XZT+
5. Injectors, IMO again, I think the mach2 may get a little hot and you may loose some mpgs. I think the 1.6 increases mpgs and hp.
6. Turbo upgrade
7. You'll probably need a tranny somewhere on this list but repeat #5 & #6 till your bank account is empty.
8. Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Ok, the Gods have spoken so I will put off the injectors until I get back from my trip and put a FASS system on it. Thank you for the input everyone.

For the tranny parts I'm leaning toward goerend and will give them a call on Friday to discuss my needs.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM

you said the magic name Goerend! FASS or Airdog with bigger lines from Vulcan. You can fab up a cheap cold intake for now too.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Gauges and transmission first Id say. Then add more fuel and air. If you get high enough, studs and orings will be necessary.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Gauges and transmission first Id say. Then add more fuel and air. If you get high enough, studs and orings will be necessary.
It took me a 20 seconds to realize what you meant by studs and o rings, LOL.
I bet I need an engine hoist to lift that head off>I won't be going that extreme.
My gages will be here Monday.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
you said the magic name Goerend! FASS or Airdog with bigger lines from Vulcan. You can fab up a cheap cold intake for now too.
Doesn't the FASS system come with lines?
I've decided on the 150 series but I'm not sure which flow rate I should get. Looks like theres options of 95, 150 and 200 gph.

Thanks everyone for the input. btw I found a local dealer so I think I'll drive out and pick this up tomorrow, so I'll have something to do on the weekend.
http://www.kensps.citymaker.com/home.html
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Yes the fass comes with lines, 3/8" which are fine if your staying conservative, but a lot of guys like to step up to 1/2" lines. Not necessary at this stage for you i dont think!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks for that, so I'll hold on 1/2" lines.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Max, if you want to save some bucks on the fuel system, buy the big line kit from Vulcan for 120 bucks = 1/2" line and fittings. Then put a lift pump of your choice inline between the tank and the injection pump. eg Holley Blue 120, Walbro 392 $300?, Fass pump $350, etc. If you really want to do it right, you should buy a drawstraw to go in the tank and replace that factory piece.

What I'm getting at is you can run a second pump in line for a few years, but after a while, the factory pump will die and who knows how well your added pump will be able to draw fuel through a broken factory pump. But, if you want to save some coin, this will work for a while.

If you want to buy the whole Fass, or Airdog kit, that will work great and be more simple, but it will cost the most over 500.

If you don't mind putting together your own setup, you can buy the vulcan bigline kit with all the fittings and lines, buy a drawstraw, buy a pump of your choice and use the factory filter and be finished for less than 400.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick Some Parts