Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HELP installing cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP installing cab lights

I am the proud owner of an 02 ram. Unfortunately it did not come with cab lights. I have recently purchased a set of lights and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the installation process. I need help as to where the location of each of the 5 lights should go on the cab and if there is a quick connect or do I need to splice into my switch. I have been told on the Ford SuperDuty there is a quick connect already in the wiring harness, I was wondering if that was true for Dodge also. As far as placement I am really just needing a layout of the stock locations, so I don't misplace them and wind up looking like a tard.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Did you buy a new set of Mopars? If so they aren't the correct ones, the lenses and lights in the kit are only for a 94-98. You will need the newer style 3rd generation ones to get the correct ones for the 99-02 trucks.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
When you drop the headliner, you'll see the holes in the support brace where the lights should be. When I did mine, I ran the hole saw through these holes, which centered up my pilot hole. Then once I had the pilot punched through, I went to the outside and drilled the full size hole. After getting the holes drilled, I put the bulb holders in the lights and laid them out on the cab. After eyeballing them all for straightness, I ran a small bit through the screw holes to get my screwholes in place.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Clearance light kit for an 02 is Mopar #82207252

It comes with the template and wiring harness and instructions. The wiring into the headlight switch is plug and play but it is not a connector, it goes into the back of the switch.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead

It comes with the template and wiring harness and instructions. The wiring into the headlight switch is plug and play but it is not a connector, it goes into the back of the switch.

Jeff
do you have a price for them....i was thinking of doing the same thing....just wondering if it is better to go with that set from mopar or go with PACER???

nca
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Check this out:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=cab+lights

Then check this out on the wiring so they come on with your parking lights. You have to get a wiring harness with a relay. The typical 4 or 5 prong automotive relays are the best. This is how to wire the relay:

30: Constant positive, straight to battery
87: to your pos. cab lights (all 5 lights wired in parallel)
86: to the black/yellow-stripe wire behind your headlight switch
85: ground

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=gauge+lights

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homestead

Jeff
Note that the template that comes with this kit is for a 3rd gen. You'd be wiser to use the template of the holes in the cab frame once you pull the headliner. The template isn't off by much, just enough to be annoying when trying to fit the lights in the holes.
On my first install I didn't know this and used the template. My light sickets bind on the inner frame of the cab. On my second install I drilled the large holes with a hole saw from the inside, using the inner frame as the template, then cut out one of the the light patterns from the template to use for the smaller mounting holes. The second installation went better.
I didn't mess with the headlight switch. I just went downstream of the parking light fuse in the fuse panel.
Some people have switched the bulbs to LEDs since they draw less power and these trucks are known for headlight switch overloads sometimes. I used the bulbs that came with the kit and I am going on 2 years with my installaton and no problems with the headlight switch yet.

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Hey Stamey

Not sure about the kit you got but I've help install about 20 of these part numbers and everyone of them was a 2nd Gen template and they fit perfect to the holes punched in the underside of the roof.

Sad thing is of all these kits I've installed or helped install, mine is still sitting in a box waiting to be put on the truck!!

Jeff
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Jeff,
I dunno. Like I said, I used the template and it bit me because it was for a third gen. I didn't know why the template was off, I though I had not positioned it right, until I saw someone else's web page on the install and he said the template was for the third gens. It sort of made sense after requesting the lights for my 99 from the dealer I was sent lights for a 93 style. Had to ask for a newer year to get the correct lights to begin with. I'll have to see if I still have the receipt or box with a PN.

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Here is a link to a member's website that explains the two different cab light styles and the templates that come with them. Hope this helps.

http://www.phildorsett.com/clearancelights.html
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3291
Did you buy a new set of Mopars? If so they aren't the correct ones, the lenses and lights in the kit are only for a 94-98. You will need the newer style 3rd generation ones to get the correct ones for the 99-02 trucks.

there is only one set from 1994 to 2002 and they are the same mounting and part number then changed in 2003 to present, you can use either or the only differance is the 94 to 02's the screws go in the light on the sides and the new ones go front and back i just helped my buddy put a set on his mega cab he got the kit off ebay and he ended up getting the old style lights and templet but i gave him my stock ones to put on had no problems.

just remember when you do it mesure a dozen times if you have to befor you drill don't wanna make no mistakes.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 AM

I checked my web page and I have the same PN you listed, and that kit had the 3rd gen (wrong?) template in it. I got the third gen idea from Phil Dorset, when I read his web page, immediately after I had completed the install on my truck.
When I did the install on Dad's truck I did not use the template, except for a cutout of one light to set the screw holes, and the install worked better.
My installation.
http://www.stamey.info/Truck/CabLightInstallation.htm

Chris