Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HELP!! How to install holley blue???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! How to install holley blue???

I got a holley blue... I am wondering how everyone is installing them... Do you splice in to the fuel (delivery) line??? Just cut a section out of it and run rubber fuel line with clamps??? Or is there somewhere to run it at the tank and then to the engine??? I tried to search and couldn't find any thing. I'm kinda in a hurry because there is a local truck pull tonight and I want to pull in it...

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 07-16-2005, 02:59 PM

I did exactlly what you were saying in the begining of your post.But I also used the regulator that it came with.It idled at 27psi. without it so I put it on and set it to idle at 20psi.Just mount it as close to the tank as you can get it.And I ran a wire off of the lift pump wire to a relay so it runs at the same time as the stock LP.Works fine for me.Good luck at the pull!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:25 PM

why do you need it be close to the tank? i just put it where the steel line stops and turns to plastic... before it turns up toward the stock lift pump. What's the point or benefit rather of having it 3 foot closer to the tank?? I wired it to key on voltage... is it supposed to run constantly when ever the key is on or truck is running.... what I mean is, doesn't the stock lift pump "cycle" on and off

-Ryan
Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 AM

Nobody knows either of these answers? I can pretty well figure that closer to the tank would feed the pump better... i.e keep the pump from trying to suck or starve but I don't know??? Or is it imperative that I put a fitting or an elbow in the bottom of the tank to gravity feed the pump?? I was getting about 14psi at idle last night and then the longer the night progressed, the longer it took to build pressure.... after it warmed up and I ran it a while, it had 14psi and didn't hardly budge off that afterwards, it dropped some at W.O.T. but not a whole lot. Should I be checking it at the filter or VP??

I just want to try to do this holley pump install the right way the first time.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,
-Ryan
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

It sounds like you've got it installed perfectly. I'm seeing about 15psi at idle and 11 at WOT with mine. I just have mine run off a relay that is triggered by the factory lift pump harness. That way the pump's not running while the truck is trying to start and give you a hard start condition.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:38 PM

hmm Im seeing 12psi at idle with 1/2 lines from the pump to the VP44. Also I'm running the Blue pump by itself....no LP for me and I'm not useing the regulator. How is my FP lower??? What can I do to increase it? I thought about ordering the 19pis spring for my blue pump.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:45 PM

I too have mine run by itself. No factory lift pump. I have mine wired to a key on 12VDC because I could only get about 8VDC when I checked the voltage at the factory lift pump harness and I didn't figure that would be sufficient...??? So I guess my blue pump is running all the time... Is that good or bad??? Should I go ahead and wire it to the lift pump harness??? What's the story with the relay?? What relay do I need?? And do you guys think I need to move the pump closer to the tank based on what I said earlier up in this thread???

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 07-17-2005, 07:11 PM

back to top ^
Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your pump location seems ok to me.
Your fuel pressure can be improved with a big fuel line and fitting kit from Scotty's or Vulcan Weld. The stock banjo fitting on my VP had a tiny 1/4 hole for feeding fuel.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Clunk, you think it's ok where I have my pump?? way up toward the front of the frame rail? It's next to (even with) the bell housing bolts. ALSO, IS THERE A PUMP IN THE TANK???? Or is the lift pump on the engine doing it all. I squeezed my fat head up there and saw 4 wires run into the tank so I assumed there was a pump in there as well as sender...???

-Ryan
Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 PM

Is there an actual pump in the tank as well as a lift pump and VP (stock setup)??? And is the reason for mounting the Holley blue so close to the tank because the pump in the tank would have trouble feeding the Holley (higher output) if it were at the front of the frame rail???

-Ryan
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM

No pump in the tank! I don't have a pusher (Holly). I relocated my LP to the frame rail, just in front of the tank. The reason for mounting on the frame, next to the tank, is that the pump can push the fuel, rather than pull ... the pump runs more efficiently this way; therefore, better fuel pressures and, hopefully, longer life from the LP!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 AM

so does the LP or holley too for that matter, just create a suction from the tank. On my truck there are 4 wires running into the tank... I just can't imagine all 4 wires being utilized for a sender, but, ...???? The thing is, I had a fuel pressure issue with the holley mounted at the front of the frame rail, but when I moved it back to the back, right in front of the tank, it seemed as if my low pressure issues went away......?????? Also, should I be checking fuel pressure at the port on the filter housing?? or the port that runs between the filter and the VP??? cause at the filter, with the holley mounted just in front of the tank, I see 14PSI, at the other port, between the VP and filter I see hardly any pressure at all....then the longer it runs, it starts building pressure, and after a while it builds up pressure (10-15 min.) and the filter is only 3 weeks old............??????????????

What gives??? I have theories....but that's it..........
-Ryan
Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greenwing,
There's no pump in the fuel tank.
I don't know why you had a big pressure difference between the LP being up near the bellhousing and the next to the fuel tank location...where it does the best job is the place to install it.
Because I worry about how much fuel pressure the VP is seeing, I read the pressure at the VP. I think your lift pump pressure should not take 10-15 min. to build up. Are you using a needle valve to dampen the pump pulses? If so, you might try opening it up a bit.
You might try checking your lift pump voltage when it's running to be sure you're getting enough voltage required by the pump. Mine runs the whole time the engine runs.
Vulcanweld makes a complete plumbing, fittings and wiring kit to run your pump with the stock lift pump circuit and it's alot easier looking than the: solder stock pump wire extensions/double heat shrink/wrap/drilled out banjo's-I hope they don't break when I take'em off/ job I did on mine.
If you have 14 psi between the LP and the filter then, little if any pressure between the filter and the VP makes me wonder about the filter then maybe the pressure tap for where you get the VP pressure...is the Schrader Valve being opened enough to get pressure to your guage?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned

Greenwing, the reason you want the Holley as close to the tank as possible is it's a pusher style pump, in other words it works better pushing fuel then it does pulling fuel. The closer it is to the tank the less distance it has to pull the fuel from the tank. I would assume that is why you have better pressure now that you moved the pump.

Quick Reply: HELP!! How to install holley blue???