Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help the bombin bug has come

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help the bombin bug has come

Ok, I only got so much $$$$.. So heres how it is. I am bone stock 01 5gear. Want to pull o maybe 8000lbs max.... I am in the process of aquiring guages, and the 2 wheel low kit.<br><br>now....here we go. I am not going to replace the clutch at this moment, or hopefully within a year (cause wife will KEEL me) and I have these three options I am thinking about..<br><br>1. Edge EZ w/275 injectors (or ???? injectors)<br><br>2. Edge comp no injectors (and I mean JUST the comp)<br><br>3. TST PM3 w/remote ONLY.....<br><br>I use my truck for a daily driver, and for about 4 months way up North of 60.....Every year...<br><br>SO.... Can you fine folk help me out? A southbend clutch will come eventually, but not right away and no burnin the clutch out and telling wife I REALLY need one... Gotta make a year at least....<br><br>Or any other combos? I want to stay at MAX the price of an EZ and injectors together.....<br><br>Thanks! ???
Old 05-03-2003, 08:49 PM
DPG

Re:Help the bombin bug has come

I have the EZ and mild injectors, and I am very happy with the performance. I pull a fifth wheel that weighs about 11,000 pounds, loaded. The truck tows it with ease, even through the mountains. (Smokies, that is, haven't been to the Rockies yet.) I towed the fiver down I-75 through Kentucky and Tennessee this spring, and I never even had to downshift out of OD (I have the auto, see my sig.) and didn't slow down to less than 55, except where traffic was blocking me. I'm not after lots of black smoke or turning the tires, I just wanted enhanced towing performance and a little &quot;gee whiz&quot; when I jamb the pedal. I'm happy. As for your clutch, it really depends how you drive. You should hardly feel your 8K trailer.

Hope this helps.

DeWain
Old 05-04-2003, 12:04 AM

Get the Comp and set it as high as you can with a EGT gauge. If you want more then go with bigger injectors and bigger turbo and bigger exhaust and bigger intake. The comp will give you as much as the stock exhaust,intake,turbo can handle.<br>Rick
Old 05-04-2003, 12:39 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Bradtothebone link=board=7;threadid=14327;start=0#134682 date=1052003259]<br>3. TST PM3 w/remote ONLY.....<br>[/quote]<br><br>Brad, the EZ/275 combo that you listed is a great combo for most people. We've got a couple hundred customers running that combo, and they are very pleased with the power.<br><br>However, with that being said, if you plan on going stronger in the future, I heavily recommend the PM3. It will give you room to grow in the future, and its lower power levels will be fine with your stock clutch. And should you decide to get out of control eventually, the upgrade to the Competition version is only $50 or so.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-04-2003, 12:42 PM

I have the comp and haul 7200lbs all the time. Before the comp I would shift to fifth and run 3000 rpm on three hills. After I put the comp on I set the crusie at 80 and don't touch it until I'm getting off the interstate.<br><br>Scooter
Old 05-04-2003, 12:53 PM

If you plan to get an Edge product just go ahead and spend the money the first time and get the Comp box. Just don't hook up the wire till you get closer to your new clutch. Without the pump wire a Comp is basically an EZ.......or that's at least that's what I've heard. :
Old 05-04-2003, 03:54 PM

So from what I have been gathering, all are ok options, but I notice that maybe the TST way w/remote guage, seems to be good bang for the buck, I figure its cheaper than getting a comp, and adding the 3 guages...<br><br><br>
Old 05-04-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I have the EZ and I was going to get DDII's until I heard that my clutch would be going south if I did, and I didnt want to spend time and money on 275's and wish I got the DDII's. I cant afford a clutch now so I am going to do everything I need to do in the right order. If your clutch slips then you will be a sad camper with an up set wife. :-[ I say get the PM3 (I hear that it has more adjustablity than the Comp), then worry about intake and exhaust. When you get some $$$ then get a clutch and then go wild on power mods. You said this is a daily driver and so is mine, thats makes reliability a serious issue. You also said that your getting gauges. Hopefully one of those will be fuel pressure because before you do any mods you need to know and be watching you fuel pressure from the lift pump!!! I am installing one right now.