Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Heavy Duty Lift Pump, possible canidate found!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike D...

I just found this thread and was reading thru it. It says on the website that this pump requires an external regulator, but you state it has an internal regulator. Which is it?

Also, it looks like max pressure is 12lbs, correct. Just wondering.

I also looked at your pics and wondered if you could take a couple more of where it is mounted. Like from the rear tire looking forward. It looks like you have it mounted on a shortbed and put it under the bed on a bracket of some sort. I'd just like to have a slightly better pic if possible.

And if you have a link to a supplier / seller of this pump so I can get a good idea of the price, that would be great too.

BTW, is the pump audible when sitting in your truck with the window down? Can you feel any vibrations on the bed while running?

Thanks much... keep us posted!

Steve
Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...31&prmenbr=361

Hi Steve, Take a look at the picture of the pump, looks like an internal regulator to me. If my thinking is right, you would have to use a fuel regulator to increase fuel psi for fuel injection systems (gassers), our vp44 does not require alot of fuel pressure to run properly. You could also contact Tim from Essex Industries, I'm sure he could tell you more than I could. I know for a fact that the pump I'm using has a brass screw that is used to increase and decrease fuel pressure. By running and external regulator it would take some stress of the pump.

The pump is pretty quite, I can just make out that the pump is running when the engine is on. I don't feel any vibration from this pump.

Edlebrock markets the pump for Essex, there is probably a wide selection of vendors. Jegs is one of them. Jegs has the pumps listed for 141.99 for the 120 gph pump and 189.99 for the 160 gph pump.

I'll try to get a better picture, but the simple bracket uses one of the forward bed mounting bolt (just in front the driverside leafspring pack) to hold the bracket in place. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mike D
Carter pumps don't exactly give me the warm fuzzies as they make the stock lift pump. I paid $160 for my last lift pump from Cummins, which started to die in a short amount of time.

If the small line is what kills the pump, why are you only running 1/2 line from the lift pump to the vp44, instead of from the tank?

Your pump is still pulling fuel thru the stock line.
MikeD that last sentence is exactly right. It is still pulling after 2 years of me making my own fuel delivery system. The lines from the tank are larger than the ones between the lp,filter, & VP44. I thought about running half inch all the way back, but do not see any real need to. It works great like it is. I know Carter has wore out its welcome, but I think the small fuel lines have accounted for a lot of the catastrophies with the VP's & LP's. Those engineers at cummins need to take Red Neck Ingenuity 101, & they will quit having these problems.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Chapter President

I wish you continued success, may she keep pulling for another 2 years.

My understanding of restriction my vary from yours, I wasn't trying to bag on your fix of the problem, just in case it came across that way.

Good Luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Chapter President

Well, I hate to give this bad news. The pump I was testing gave up the ghost yesterday. Other than increased noise from the pump over the last day or so prior, there was no indication the pump was going south. I attributed the noise as possible caviation from the high volume capasity of the pump pulling fuel through the stock pickup.

I think the pumps motor quit. I'm going to take the pump apart this weekend to see what failed. The fuel gauge never blinked, just went to zero. Luckly, I was only a mile or so from home.

I had such high hopes for this pump. It ran so good compared to the stock pump. It was quite, strong, all the things you want.

It could be a freak thing, bad motor windings who knows, but I thought I would pass it along to those following this thread.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by BIGHEAD
MikeD that last sentence is exactly right. It is still pulling after 2 years of me making my own fuel delivery system. The lines from the tank are larger than the ones between the lp,filter, & VP44. I thought about running half inch all the way back, but do not see any real need to. It works great like it is. I know Carter has wore out its welcome, but I think the small fuel lines have accounted for a lot of the catastrophies with the VP's & LP's. Those engineers at cummins need to take Red Neck Ingenuity 101, & they will quit having these problems.
I think there may be a lot of truth to this. Could anyone direct me to an oulet / specific webpage where I could purchase the appopriate fittings / lines to increase everythinig from thee LP to the VP ?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:21 PM

http://www.scottyairsystems.com/

Click on Smart Fuel System

RJ
Old 07-21-2005, 06:28 PM

www.vulcanperformance.com
Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 AM

They sell Diesel pumps, Just not sure on the GPH. It the series 6000. APEUSA