Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Heavy Duty Lift Pump, possible canidate found!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodgeman,

How much is it?

Moose10,

I'm still gonna keep my guage-cheap insurance!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, me too. Not only cheap insurance, but it would look strange too with an empty hole in the pillar.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 PM

Gauges not only tell you what's going on, but what's going wrong (if something does).
Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 PM

For sure if you already have a gauge you're satisfied with, then keep it. But for those without and considering a gauge, I think I'd pass. The only reason us Cummins folks want to keep an eye on fp is the notorious lift pump to keep from eating a vp.

Reports of the FASS pump are so stellar, I can't see the value of adding a new gauge and either dealing with fuel line in cab, isolators or sending units. Would seem akin to buying insurance that the sun will come up tomorrow.

A lot of the automagic guys have been trying to figure out a way to get 4 gauges on the pillar.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Rattletrap1
the "new" FASS seems like a winner to me. Substantially cheaper than the original FASS, but the same pump without the filtration. Bypass the lift pump, route to stock filter/heater/seperator and you're there.
From what I've read about gerotor pumps and their intolerance of dirt in the pumped fluid, I'm nervous about the baby FASS drawing straight from the tank unfiltered. I'd ask Bradif this is a concern before going this route.

UPDATE: I just read the install man for the new fass pump and it comes with an inline filter that goes between it and the tank.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Which side is the filter on (in or out) with the original FASS?

I'm not sure about gerotors, but electric pumps in general prefer to push than suck...that's the inherent problem we have with the lift pumps as is.

I sent a note off to Brad for his comment(s)
Old 12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rattletrap1

A lot of the automagic guys have been trying to figure out a way to get 4 gauges on the pillar.
I figured it out on my truck.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gage has other uses. For one when changing filters or bleeding the fuel system, it tells you when you have pressure and how much. Mine sits a about 18 running and 20, engine off, key on.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:54 PM

Ya HID...but a temporary gauge under the hood can do that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have a gauge, just kinda redundant and maybe not worth the effort of a new install.

BTW...Brad e-mailed me back that the new "mini FASS" has a prefilter included in the unit. I should've asked him if it was cleanable, replaceable or what. I'm suspecting a screen of some sort.

I know we aren't supposed to talk price on here...but let's say < $375 range sounds like a good deal. About the cost of 2 POS DC lift pumps. This includes the pump, brackets, 3/8" fuel line, wiring harness, fittings and hardware.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:17 AM

Well..another update from Brad. He says the new pump has the same cleanable prefilter element as the original. This would indicate that the spin-on filter with the original is AFTER the pump.

You guys with the FASS....do you have some type of element/screen on the intake side? Brad says you can see it on pg 4 & 5 of the install instructions (download). Maybe he can, but I don't know what I'm looking at. I see the motor and a red box that I assume is the mechanics of the pump.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:02 AM
The Guru

The guys running the stock pick-up, dodge already has two filters in the pick-up. The first is a thin membrain and a really coarse mesh screen. I have about 50000miles on my Fass and on my second fuel filter. I still pull at wot over 15psi of fuel pressure. I run the fuel pressure gauge just in case you blow a fuse on the Fass as the cummins motor will continue to run. I've been down this road and the fuel pressure gauge prevented my VP pump from failing. Your VP pump can still pull fuel thru the Fass system but you don't have any fuel pressure for anything but limp mode. On the stock set-up, it kinda just dies on the side of the road. Its a pretty good pump as I've abuse mine on off road and on lots of gravel. I think that right now I'm money ahead cause I've would have bought two or three LP pumps and maybe a VP pump running the stock system.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattletrap1

Agree with you...I can't see it either in the book that came with the Fass.
IT appears to me the fuel comes from the tank...to the water seperator filter (144 micron)...to the electric pump...to the fuel filter...to the air separator...to the Injector Pump. This would be back to front, and logical...but it's very hard to tell the routing, for sure, because it's all done inside the filter base. There is no removable/cleanable filter...other than the H2O separator and the fuel filter itself.

RJ
Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 AM

Mike...how about a self-resetting circuit breaker instead of a fuse?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 AM

Guys, it's right there.....
If you look at the installation manual (www.dieselpp.com) for the '98.5 to '02 models using the NEW "FASSII" Hi-Perf. Fuel Pump (the one without the big spin-on filters). That little inline filter is shown twice. 1st on page 4...it's item #16 and P/N FF5079. 2nd on page 5 top left corner photo # 1A. It's under step #1 "Preparing suction line". See it now?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Sorry guys....this thread never sent me a notification on the new posts! Any way, i would still run a Fuel Pressure gauge just incase. I have sold and installed LOTS of these FASS systems and i have had 2 cases that the FASS pump locked up.....(My truck was the first on a trip back from Dallas.....and yes...a week later...VP44....BUT i had 115,000 mi....so) But both were within the first few days of being installed. The second guy was luckier then me...he a fuel pressure gauge and saw his pressure drop and stopped....then Brad met him in Amarillo and fixed him up....story is on another thread. SO....its like a coolant temp gauge....wont move a lot....but when it does...it will save you a lot of money!

As far as the prefitler.....RJohnson called me today...and we talked about how the FASS works. I think...and this is without a unit in front of me, that it runs the tank diesel through the water separator first...and that has some filtration to it...how much...I don’t remember. If it runs it through the filter before the pump first...I don’t know. Based on the design of the FASS it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Lift Pump, possible canidate found!