Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

headwork needed? with twins

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put my studs in and tq'em in sequence. My valve cover fits nicely. ARP makes good studs. Rip Rook has em in stock I believe.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:08 PM
The Guru

You can always lift your right leg. Man it take for every to see 50psi on my set. The most that I have every seen with my truck is around 55 psi of boost.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

I really doubt you will be able to keep it under 50psi. A 50 mm wastegate in the hot pipe will cure that problem. I have a 38 mm gate and 3 pop offs set as low as they will go and I can blow right through 55 psi..
Old 04-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotmopr
I really doubt you will be able to keep it under 50psi. A 50 mm wastegate in the hot pipe will cure that problem. I have a 38 mm gate and 3 pop offs set as low as they will go and I can blow right through 55 psi..
do you have a 16 cm turbine housing?
and is that why you make over 55 or is it the excesive fuel?

will fuel dramaticly incease psi? lets say if i switch to bigger injectors, how much more boost will expect? i think about buying the 435`s from´ New Era.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You can always lift your right leg. Man it take for every to see 50psi on my set. The most that I have every seen with my truck is around 55 psi of boost.

WOAH..

question, arent twins supposed to eliminate lag all together??? Its why i want them to begin with, OR why does it take so long to reach 50 PSI? exhaust housing size on the top turbo? I see you run a 40 on top tho....

My goal is super fast spoolup, and at most about 70 lbs of boost if i go twins, If i can achieve NO LAG or minimal lag with a large single that can hit 60 PSI at minimum (which i doubt) i might settle for that, But i have a brand new 3B sittin in my room.... So im certain i wanna pony up some dough eventually for twins piping..

Rick
Old 04-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Rick the speed of spoolup all depends on the twins setup and how much fuel you have to help spool them. I'd say that the setup that you're looking at running would probably spool really well, especially if you get a set of laser cut DV's or larger injectors down the road.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
The Guru

Well the difference between a big single and twins is that twins are way more streetable on low boost driving. Man if I complain about a laggy 40, examine a bigger turbo. I have a boost leak somewhere, that hurts my spool-up. I just luv the hit once the twins light give ya. Its a pretty linear seat pull after 10psi of boost, around 50 psi man she hits again. Don't get me wrong here, I luv this set-up. I just hate been toasted my cars unless I boost launch everything. Most street lights wars are won in 60ft. Everyone thinks this truck is a riot and no one can grab the dash once the turbos light. My buddies stock 01 HX35 (around 320rwhp), the manual truck will light like right now, but there no air to suck you back in the seat. I would really hate to drive a big turbo on the street. No light, waiting two-three seconds, bam 40psi. Your into the car ahead of you. It would be ok on a stick truck not on an auto with 3:54 gears and a low stall converter. Try to drive a twins truck you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Willy91
Rick the speed of spoolup all depends on the twins setup and how much fuel you have to help spool them. I'd say that the setup that you're looking at running would probably spool really well, especially if you get a set of laser cut DV's or larger injectors down the road.
Man I feel really dumb right about now..

Although they would have done me no good for my current setup, for 450 bucks, i could have gotten those new era 435 horse diesel injectors... Well I already have some 191,s and with the starwheel completely loose, and the AFC full forward the truck pukes white fuel for a while and then black smoke like there is no tomorrow, i can assure you wiht a 14cm housing my turbo wont like it....

SOmehow im thinkin this is enough for a run of the mill 35/3B setup, im sure i will call this truck done after that, headwork, and dual disk and shaft..... 550-600 rwhp is my goal where im 90 percent certain that i will call it done.. I wanna drive this truck daily, and if i do happen to want more, Valet switch, and A stoopid pump will work, so will water meth, propane, nitrous, Bigger turbos, laser cuts, the possibilites are endless, unfortunately my pocketbook isnt now, and probably never will be...

thanks for the replies Mike and *****!

Rick
Old 04-16-2006, 11:46 AM

I'd say you should be able to run that setup pretty well. Especially if you have enough fuel right now to dump it out the exhaust I've never seen that before.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Willy91
I'd say you should be able to run that setup pretty well. Especially if you have enough fuel right now to dump it out the exhaust I've never seen that before.

you mean to tell me that with ur setup you cannot dump white smoke?

Well u do have a huge twins set, so i guess not, I can do it for about 2-3 seconds where its white, and then its black, but my stock turbo just HATES it.... granted i need some air..... no question about it....

Rick
Old 04-16-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007

those new era 435 horse diesel injectors...

SOmehow im thinkin this is enough for a run of the mill 35/3B setup, im sure i will call this truck done after that, 550-600 rwhp is my goal where im 90 percent certain that i will call it done..
Rick
Hey rick, sounds like we are looking basicly for the same set up.
i wanna buy the 435 as well, and do i need the 191 dvs? are they a big difference in the 215 pump with the 181 dvs?

does anyone know what grade the ARP head studs are? how hard-strong they are? "Maybe if i know that i could look around here in mexico for something that would be almost as good"
Old 04-16-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
do the blow off's keep the boost below 50? [/B]
There are a couple of guys I know of, that have twins. They have them setup to make no more than 40psi. Not sure if they were using BOV, or an external wastegate.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:39 PM

12Valve

the 191s were a gimme item in exchange for my 181's I DO NOW SEE that they will be rather problematic in a sence and i blame them for this.. My truck right now is starting to lunge back and forward alot, if i dont have enough fuel on the lower end, now im sure i can cure this by moving the AFC and starwheel forward, yet im concerned with loosing my mileage, Dont get me wrong, the low end is AMAZING if i get on it, but for smoother take offs for city driving or taking off already moving in third gear, its gonna lunge. Im not quite certain if laser cuts will cure this problem, see what i dont want alot of right now is smoke, i dont even have that famous haze that some people say that they have with PDR 370's, my truck just sounds and idles stock. Of coarse i cannot tell that i have 370s and DV's till i really romp on the truck, and then the fuel tank suffers, ive wasted 1/8 of a tank already in 58 miles.. U READ RIGHT...

But i can manage to cruise at under 450 degrees, at 40 mph with 0-2 lbs of boost with a 2/3 forward 100 plate, 3/4 starwheel adjustment, and about 1/2 forward AFC housing. Hope this helps...

Rick
Old 04-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
you mean to tell me that with ur setup you cannot dump white smoke?

Well u do have a huge twins set, so i guess not, I can do it for about 2-3 seconds where its white, and then its black, but my stock turbo just HATES it.... granted i need some air..... no question about it....

Rick
All i get fr white smoke is a little puff, then it's all black.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
The Guru

I have to kinda of pull my foot out of my mouth here. I was working on my truck trying to track down some off my boost leaks. I just shook my head, I had my pump wire disconnected and my box set on 1X1. Now the spool-up is alot faster and I can pull boost around the low 50's, with everything back to normal. The real trick to making the twins work with minimum lag is to have is to have everything working/designed to work together. A aftermarket cam and ported head drops the boost pressure required to make the same power. I really can't see the need to run much more than 60psi with the right combo on the street. By the time you see that kinda of pressure you have engine rpm's and you don't have time to look at a pressure gauge at 120mph.

Quick Reply: headwork needed? with twins