Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Headbolt torque sequence

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headbolt torque sequence

Hi does anyone have a picture of the headbolt torque sequence.I also need the torque procedure .Thanx alot.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but you don't need a picture for the sequence. Just start in the middle and sprial out in a circle till you get to the ends of the block. If you want a better clamping use International Compound #2 in the threads. The most stress on the head bolt is the twisting force, the compound eases this stress.

Torque them in three steps and then retorque the final setting. Mark them with a marker or something else and then thighten in sequence 90 degrees or 1/4 turn for the final setting.

Probably someone will come in here and give torque, if not I will look it up later and give it to you. My book is outside in the shop.

A tip though, make sure you have the right head gasket, there are two of them. Make sure the outside water jacket sealing is the same as the original gasket. The later engines use a narrower sealing surface and it will leak. Last year the gasket was changed and many engines leaked, Cummins had to go back and produce the original design. I had to wait two weeks for a gasket that was right for my engine. The problem is at the passenger side of the front of the engine.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Thanx for the reply ,please do give me the torque when you have a chance to look in your book.Can you give me the 3 torques to use in the steps.What is that International compund #2 ,do i have to get it at the international dealer. Since mine is a 12v and I think yours is a 24v do I need to make sure on the headgasket .I have gasket number 2053283339 which is the same as the one on scheids site. One more thing once i start the truck do i have to warm it up with no boost ,then retorque all the bolts again.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:12 PM

Cummins procedure.
Head bolts come in 3 sizes, short regular, long.
Torque ALL bolts to 66 ft-lbs. I prefer to bring torque up in stages of ½ value or 33 ft-lbs., ¾ value or 50 ft-lbs. then full value.
Torque all LONG bolts to 89 ft-lbs. Re-torque all other bolts to 66 ft-lbs., as they will loosen.
Run all bolts an additional 90° rotation.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 PM

re-torque

If you use a dial type wrench you will notice final torque pulls around 120-125 ft-lbs.
A re-torque is great after bringing the engine up to temp and then cooling below 100°F.
Downside: I'm still looking for photos I have of a broken bolt on a re-torque. New bolt, too.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Re: re-torque

Originally posted by Fueling around
If you use a dial type wrench you will notice final torque pulls around 120-125 ft-lbs.
A re-torque is great after bringing the engine up to temp and then cooling below 100°F.
Downside: I'm still looking for photos I have of a broken bolt on a re-torque. New bolt, too.
That is where the compound #2 comes in, it allows the bolt to turn, not twist off. I would torque them right the first time and leave them alone.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:38 PM

Re: Re: re-torque

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
That is where the compound #2 comes in, it allows the bolt to turn, not twist off. I would torque them right the first time and leave them alone.
Basically any lube on the bolts will increase torque 10-30% over wrench value. Engine oil, anti-seeze, ARP lube, etc. Sadly , it will not decrease the chance of a head bolt breaking.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2005, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: re-torque

Basically any lube on the bolts will increase torque 10-30% over wrench value. Engine oil, anti-seeze, ARP lube, etc. Sadly , it will not decrease the chance of a head bolt breaking.
I wouldn't know. Been doing this all my life since a teen to 63 and have never twisted one off putting it in. Trust me I have done a couple of engines. I also have never had a head gasket that I installed, leak. The Dodge head bolts torque at about 135 though. There are compounds that are made for the purpose, to eliminate drag on the threads. It is the twisting that shears the bolt at the first uncovered thread.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Caught me giving the short answer.

Yes, a lubed thread will decrease torsional shear. It will make elongation worse by over torque.
John Deere mech for many years before going to college. Broke fair share of head bolts.

If you remember the days of metal laminate head gaskets, a re-torque was always required. Many got away with increasing initial torque 20% and skipping re-torque.
When the thermo-print composite gaskets appeared in the 70's, the initial torque went up 10-20% and re-torque was not required.

The Cummins head bolt was from the shop that replaced my head gasket. The break point told me the threads are cut not rolled as in studs.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 PM

So you guys think no retorque,Id rather not if I dont have to
Old 02-27-2005, 11:03 PM

Your call.

Local shop started re-torque after seeing a lot of head gasket failures on BOMBED trucks.

I went to head studs. Re-torque is required.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 AM

since it has the half turn after the 89 or 66 ,what do you retorque to.Thanx guys for answering all these questions,I need to get the service manual.No time to get one now I need this thing done.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Re: re-torque

120 ft-lbs is what the local shop uses.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Dufrain
since it has the half turn after the 89 or 66 ,what do you retorque to.Thanx guys for answering all these questions,I need to get the service manual.No time to get one now I need this thing done.

Caution, its a quarter turn, not a half turn, big difference there.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Caution, its a quarter turn, not a half turn, big difference there.
GOOD CATCH!

I missed that in his reply.

Quick Reply: Headbolt torque sequence