Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Headache Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
BCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headache Rack

I'm gettin ready to start building one for my 97 3500, but i got a couple questions,

1. for those of you that have them do you have one with an opening for the rear window and if so do you like it or would you rather not have it there.
2. what would make the one you have better?

Thank you
BCB
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 PM

A buddy and I...mainly him...built mine. I have it all the way across. I like it that way because nothing can then come foward and hit the window. Though i really dont have to worry about theft, by having it go all the way you can leave the back window upon some place and not have to worry about anyone crawling in.

On the other hand (PO had windows tinted way down) it can be a real SOB to back at night between the expanded steel and the tint. I would get an expanded steel pattern that is small enough to keep stuff from going through but large enough that you can still easily see through it.

Hope this helps.
ROb
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM

i've been needing a headache rack for a while, along with a new toolbox.

what size material did you guys use on yours, robins? I was thinking about using 1"x3" box tubing for the bed, and maybe a 2x2 for the cab section.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 AM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
I used 2x2 on all of it, with a sort of 1/4 inch chain link stuff for in between...kinda like the stuff they use around the cabs of log skidders and bulldozers to stop snapbacks. I welded it to a pair of 5/16 3x5x3ft angle iron that sets on bedrails with my toolbox on top. I'll post up some pics this afternoon or tomorrow.

Ed
Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 AM

That sounds about the way we did mine too. Anlge iron on the bottom and im just guessing but probably 3x1 or 3x2 inch for the structure.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Say mine has saved my back window a few times. It's not the best looking rack i've ever seen but it serves it's purpose very well. It's had some changes made since the picture was taken. Now it's been widened to fit my truck (originally built for my 91 Chevy i used to have), has much larger angle iron mounting brakets, and now i have a diamond plate toolbox across the bed of my truck. Mine i believe has 1 1/2 inch angle on the sides now mounted under my toolbox, and the rack itself in made out of 1 1/4 square tubing i had laying around and the slats are made with i believe 1/2 inch angle. It works great, my only main concern in i wish i would have put a gusset where the angle iron on the bed meets the upright square tubing for a little bit more structual integrity because it does wiggle around a little bit when i hit bumps and potholes on the gravel roads and whatnot. However it works great and ha saved me a couple times from logs and large tree branches trying to go through the back window.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM

i left mine open on this truck b/c i have the slider. on my 99, i went all the way across, but put the verticle bars there to break up the louvers.

i used 2"x2"x1/4" angle for the base, 2"x2"x1/8" for the rack, and 2"x1/8" flat stock for the louvers

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM

I built this one 2000. It is 2"x2"xsch. 40 box tubing, with 1/4"x2"x2" flat bar louvers. I had mine sandblasted and Line-X'd. After 8 years it is getting some rust bubbles popping up in some places under the Line-X.

One thing I would do that one of the above posters did not do, is put some gussets from the headache rack down to your bed rails. This will make it much stronger, and keep if from vibrating.

Good luck, and have fun!! That is what it's all about.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
Ok found some batteries that still have life in them and got some pics. I had planned on doing gussets at the base as well, but once I got it all together I decided that it seems plenty strong...MUCH more so than the ranchhand ones I've seen, so I left them off for now. May put them in later after some stacks generate the room between the rack and toolbox. I'm also still toying with putting a gap in for the slider, but I'm gonna make the decision on that after I get the turn/tail lights and floodlights into the rack.

Headache Rack-headache-rack-003.jpg
Attachment 21789
Headache Rack-headache-rack-002.jpg

The ends are getting capped and once it's all done it's coming off and getting blasted and durabak'd.

Also, here is (as the Frenchman from the Matrix would say): Cause and Effect

Headache Rack-bumper-009.jpg

Ed
Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Chapter President

I'd go with a full across no matter what. You can still open the window, but someone can't just put a saw in the slider and cut the little plastic piece and in they go.....

Here's one I picked up for $50 off of craigslist.

and......