Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Head work???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head work???

Well since i finally decided the only way to do what i want is to get my head done up before the twin installs. I have a few questions about what i should do when i finally do it.

1. Should i get just the block ringed, just the head, or should i get both grooved for the rings?
2. Is it worth the money to get bigger valves in it?
3. Should i have it shaved for higher compression?
4. Is a port and polish worth it for a truck that will manly tow and needs to be dependable.
5. Will 12mm studs work even if i push past 70+ psi of boost?

Thanks Rick
Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM

have a good shop like haisley machine ring the head for fire rings and send it back to you with the rings and a matching gasket. the stud it and it'll be plenty stout. if your putting on twins dont worry about port work. it's expensive and to do it right you have to cut off the intake runner and it gets really expensive.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 AM

12mm Studs are fine and fire or o ring should do fine. But on porting the head there has been a couple of discussions on this and Is still up in the air if it is nesecery. I know i know I cant spell.
I have been doing alot of studying on this and have talked to a couple of in the know guys and it sounds like It could be a very good thing. There is a guy on another bourd that tells me that I should send my head and Exhaust manifold to be port matched and so forth. But the real answer is still a little cloudy for me. I will be doing the same real soon as I have the studs and gasket coming. I am not starting it untill I get a clear answer cause Ill have to pack all my tools In my barely street legal jeep while I get my head wotk done.
I think this toppic should be of great importance as more of us head into the 500 hp and range....