Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mxdsl183
whats the easyest way to by pass them?
Rewire from the headunit to the doors, you will need to (either) do away with your pillar tweeters or wire them from the headunit with bass blockers or a crossover.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an amp im going to hook up to it all when i get new rear speakers, will the cross over in the work?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I am replacing the head unit because the fader no longer works. Speakers, well, after all these years, they don't sound as good as they should.

I'm no audiophile, but I do want good sound. The sub is simply to pick up some more bass. The polks are both component systems, 6 1/2".

The ONLY 1 1/2 din radio I saw was a pioneer. Not a bad choice, but it didn't have all the featues I want.

NONE of the head units I saw online at crutchfield looked good to me, so I chose one with the specs I want, and something I can live with. I'd prefer all balck facing, but that's a no go.

I am also considering Alpine CDA-9851 or 9853 for the head unit, and maye Infinity reference 6010 & 5010 speakers.

The sub is the only one that will fit in the truck and not loose any space (it will go under the center seat).

The amp is simply a decent amp with the power range compatible with what I use to run when I was into loud stereos (80% of rated speaker capacity)

I believe the kenwood head unit does not require an aux input to play mp3 & such, but that is of no matter to me anyway.

heck, I got my 1st CD player only 4 yrs ago........

All of these things fit with no problems according to crutchfield

here's the specs on the head unit (I think it is below the 879)
Details:

» CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» motorized, detachable face with multicolor fluorescent display
» Advanced Codec (AC) Drive with Voice Index on Tap offers voice confirmation of digital music folders and files
» G-Analyzer measures G-force during acceleration, braking, and cornering
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)
» System Q EX Sound Control with 3-band parametric equalizer
» System E's+ crossover system
» satellite radio controls (SIRIUS or XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» HD Radio-ready (will control Kenwood's HD Radio tuner)
» CD changer controls
» auxiliary input
» dual-zone audio control
» 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» Bass Management System (B.M.S.) controls the bass boost on compatible Kenwood Excelon amplifiers
» wireless remote
» clock
» CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
» CD signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
» FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
» warranty: 2 years

other spec I wanted but isn't listed is RDS, mute, and cd recognition

I use to run ONLY PPI amps back in the day. Did you know the crutchfield amps sold under the crutchfield name were made by PPI ?? Cheap way to get a good amp. Too bad they don't sell them anymore.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
The Din & 1/2 selection stinks. Maybe like 3 or 4 decent choices.

I was intitally worried about how a single din was going to look, but I'll tell you it suits me just fine, it's not like vast areas of plastic above and below the unit, like you would have with a Double Din.

I wish they made an install kit that put the regular size radio up top in the large opening, and gave you a small storage space below the radio.

I hate wasted space !!
Old 03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

If I were you I'd definetely go with an alpine for a deck. They are by far the best out there IMHO!!! Kenwood decks you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to work the dang thing, and pioneer is decent but I just don't like there product very much, and Sony skips like a mother after time.

~Nick
Old 03-15-2006, 04:34 PM

But Alpine doesn'thave the RDS in the range I am willing to spend right now.

that is the main thing swaying me to kenwood.

But Alpine is still in the running

I've had kenwood before, and I didn't think it was hard to use...butthen again, i probably didn't use 1/2 the controls anyway
Old 03-15-2006, 05:51 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by TRCM
I wish they made an install kit that put the regular size radio up top in the large opening, and gave you a small storage space below the radio.

I hate wasted space !!
Tell you what, they make one for a standard head unit and a EQ down bottom. A saavy fabricator could make up something nice, it would be a little on the small side, probably about 7/8" high, but no waste!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by TRC
The polks are both component systems, 6 1/2".
I am also considering Alpine CDA-9851 or 9853 for the head unit, and maye Infinity reference 6010 & 5010 speakers..

Make sure you get the 9853 or 9855 if you go Alpine as they are the only ones with Bass engine PRO that allows for time alignment and active Xover
the early ones had problems with the glide touch control but it seems better now and there are many on sale as most dealers are blowing out stock for the new models

Yes the old PPI boards made it into lots of amps Crutchfield/Sansui/Special edition and I also have a little amp called the Hot Set-up that is a PPI 2050AM board Right now I'm running 2 PPI art 600s for my front end and wouldnt give them up for any money. 12 years old and they are still thumping the way they did new.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM

I've been watching this thread as I'm about to install a JVC AXV2! I want to keep the stock speakers for now and would like to know for sure if I can use the infinity speakers with the built on amps!! Will the wiring connect to the hu pre outs and run to the amps or will the hu send 20 watts rms to the amps?? Are the infinity speakers a componet system? 6x9 doors are bass and rear doors are mid and of coarse the tweeters.
I hear 2 differant answers to this ques. will just the hu sound better and work OK with the infinity speakers???
Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
P.J
Banned

Worked FINE with mine, the fronts are powered from a crossover attached to the back of the fronts (in the front doors). I ran the factory fronts for about two months, they didn't sound so good, but the overall sound was much improved over stock.

All I can go on is what I have first hand experience with..........
Do you have a harness or are you going to cut the factory connector off?
Remeber there is a "Power entenna" wire in there that MUST be hooked up and a ground that MUST go to the chassis, or you will have no sound at all.