Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit

OK, so the new truck I just got had the head unit removed, so one of the first things I need to do is to get a stereo in the truck. So I need input on a head unit. I want to be able to play CDs, but have no need for a separate changer, I only ever carry one CD at a time with me. I want AM & FM reception, duh. Don't care about built in XM or Sirius, but I MUST have a line in jack for my IPOD or XM/Siruis unit.

I like my music loud, I will want to do an amp etc. shortly down the road. Would it make more sense to do the whole sound system now, or just get the head unit and then bring in the rest?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a fan of the "do it all at once" philosophy. I find that when I piece things together I usually spend more time and money than if I just do it right the first time.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can swing the money all at once, doing it once is probably easier just because you only have to tear things apart once.

I have a Clarion ProAudio head unit, DXZ735MP, since replaced by a newer model in their lineup, I'm sure. Detachable aluminum faceplate, plays CDs and MP3s, and can control Clarion CD and DVD changers, Sirius tuners, and TV tuners. It also has an auxiliary input that I'm planning to use with my Neuros digital music player (kinda like an iPod, only way better). It has three sets of preamp outputs, including one for a sub. Overall, for the money/feature ratio, I couldn't find anything that even came close. Oh, and it's black, so it matches the dash better.