Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Head Gasket blown again..... twice in one year...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket blown again..... twice in one year...

Make a long story short I had my HG replaced a year ago at a local shop that royally messed my truck up. Well Saturday the HG went again.... I just sold my 66 Impala this weekend so I have some UPGRADE money.... How much would a Head from piers cost that is ported and O Ringed? I already have ARP studs so I am ready for some BOOST and A LOT more fuel......!!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

IIRC a stage II head with O-rings was like $2700 from piers, call Garrett at www.Puredieselpower.com and he can hook you up for a lot less. If you were closer I'd say I could port it for you and you could have Joe Hellmann ring it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Cylinder Head

Muddin I guess I could just have my head ported and O Ringed if it checks out good? What is the cost to have your own head ported and O Ringed? And I know I could port my own head. I would just need the right info to do so....
Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Well I ported my own head and I will tell you this NO ONE WILL GIVE YOU ADVICE! lol. I had to just learn by doing I geuss and look at pictures lol. If I can I could give you a few pointers but I think the biggest thing is on the exhaust side it has a very small "swirl" shape to it, keep it the best you can.

To do O-rings it is like $300 for the head machine work and wire pressed in plus $120 for a marine headgasket. Firerings were $525 for me to get the machine work, wire, and headgasket.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM

I actually think my head now may have issues. I will find out more when I get the head off. Mudd I was going to take my truck to my local Mountain Rocky Cummins because they have done excellent work for me in the past. But I could save a bunch if I did the head my self. Do you have any good links to step by step head removal/install? How do you like the 4K with you speed on the 96? I have the 3K but thought the 4K would be a lot more fun...... Did you notice a difference with the porting...??

Thanks.....

Dave
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

I noticed a little difference in spoolup, it didn't necassarily start spooling any sooner but it spools harder after the porting. My smoke and EGT's were the biggest reduction! I went from blacking out 2 lanes of traffic to just a thick haze at WOT and full boost and the EGT's are about 300* cooler at a given RPM at WOT.

Taking the head off isnt too bad, just kind of time consuming. An extra pair of hands is a deffinate bonus. Putting the head on is what takes a little while because you have to clean the block and when setting the head on the gasket be careful and gentle.

I like the 4k springs, with higher timing it is nice being able to pull harder past 3200RPM's. I need to readjust mine to be a little less touchy and then readjust my idle to about 950RPM's.

Also if you take the head off install the 60lb valve springs and IMO go as far as put in the heavy duty keepers and retainers.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM

head

Mudd do you know of any good links showing the steps to removing and installing a head? I got a quote of 19 hours from my local Cummins shop. They do EXCELLENT work, but darn..... 19 hours??? $2260 was the total quote..... I might as well do my self....... and learn a few things while I am at it....

Thanks...

Dave
Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Did you straight edge and feeler gauge your deck? Just a thought. Doin the head ain't bad you just get into it and go with the flow .
Brandon
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM

I would give J&H Performance a call in Redding,CA
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys..... I do not have any problem jumping into doing the head gasket my self. I just like to have a game plan before I start something that I have not done before. I built this from the ground up..... http://www.proworkz.com/HAN.wmv

Did all the motor work, trans and rear gears plus all the other stuff. I am not a mechanic by trade. Just a hot rodder since birth..... lol...

Thanks again...

Dave