Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Head Gasket Blown

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Blown

I put a new cometic head gasket in after having big problems with it first one (you can look up my other post) I been driving the truck for about 2 weeks and running 50 lbs+or- a little on stage six and egts about 1300 and eveything has been working great, but I was messing around with a mustang having a few light races and when I got home there was a coolent pushing out of the overflow bottle- no temp spikes or high egts and no external coolent leaks, the truck sounds ok but now it just pushes all of the coolent out- refilled the system and the same thing happens- this motor has something wrong with it that I can not see. I work on marine diesels for a living and have done plenty of head jobs and rebuilds, I had nothing but problems with the stock engine when I got the truck and this tops it.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it for what it's worth, IMO it's a combination of the HR pump on a HO engine with a timing box.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Yet another cometic gasket issue...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM

I had replied in your last post about some possible reasons why your gasket didn't hang in there and as luck would have it mine failed as well. It held about 2 weeks at 60-70psi then started filling the OF bottle. After literally hours of inspection on the head and block surface I believe the leak may have been between the layers as there are no signs on the block or head?
Anyway I just finished setting the freshly o-ringed head on the new stock gasket and should have it running by tomorrow afternoon. I think the MLS gaskets should be left to the third gen crowd.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Well I going to pull it apart and going to o-ring the head, dont want to spend any more $$ on gaskets that leak in 2 weeks
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Bildo
Well I going to pull it apart and going to o-ring the head, dont want to spend any more $$ on gaskets that leak in 2 weeks
I hear yeah, I don't have much luck with the New Technology stuff
Should have just went with the tried and true and saved myself $3k and 3 weeks of down time
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
I had replied in your last post about some possible reasons why your gasket didn't hang in there and as luck would have it mine failed as well. It held about 2 weeks at 60-70psi then started filling the OF bottle. After literally hours of inspection on the head and block surface I believe the leak may have been between the layers as there are no signs on the block or head?
Anyway I just finished setting the freshly o-ringed head on the new stock gasket and should have it running by tomorrow afternoon. I think the MLS gaskets should be left to the third gen crowd.
Thats not what I was wanting to hear.

Trending Topics

Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Thats not what I was wanting to hear.
It's a relatively new gasket process...I'm guessing at some point they will get this down (no consolation to those of you already dealing with a failure!!!) but Cometic is possibly the best gasket maker out there...I just hope they get it together soon before I need to take that step!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:20 PM

All I can say is I'm glad I waited looks like a simple o-ring job is in order. From all the failures It's starting to look like the R&D wasn't that extensive??? Man I love those gaskets on the Gaser stuff and it would have been nice. Back to the drawing board I guess......
Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM

It would be nice to hear some feedback on the Phuzion gasket. Anyone run one yet on a Cummins?
I have no doubt Cometic will dial it in they seem to be a pretty top notch company.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
It's a relatively new gasket process...I'm guessing at some point they will get this down (no consolation to those of you already dealing with a failure!!!) but Cometic is possibly the best gasket maker out there...I just hope they get it together soon before I need to take that step!
I've already got the gasket sitting at home. Since I didn't get my studs in time for the last dyno, plan was to wait till spring to do the head. Good thing I guess. See if they do any revisions on it in the coming months.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I've already got the gasket sitting at home. Since I didn't get my studs in time for the last dyno, plan was to wait till spring to do the head. Good thing I guess. See if they do any revisions on it in the coming months.
Good plan, IMHO I would see about sourcing a good shop locally to do O-rings for you. Or perhaps if you contact Cometic they will let you trade up the one you have for a Phuzion gasket?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Tate, Aaron will hook you up and o-ring your head for ya.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM

My Cometic let go after 1.5 months after install, it filled the overflow bottle on the dyno, but the good news is the truck dynoed 602/1059, anyway im going O-ring and stock gasket at .20 over, I was running a max of 60-62 psi but turned it down to 51 (factory setting for the Silver Bullet, live and learn I guess, next time ill wait awhile before I try a new product.now how do I tell my wife I gotta pull the head again and that the the truck needs twins, bigger sticks, nitrous, a cam, and a few other things that went bad with the gasket.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Tate, Aaron will hook you up and o-ring your head for ya.
Yea, I may have to do that. Seems Cometic hasn't been having much luck with our gaskets yet. Hopefully I can get a refund.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Blown