Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

head bolts 50lbs boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head bolts 50lbs boost

Is it true that if your truck generates 50lbs boost or more you need to change the head bolts, or just torque down the ones you got more?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:01 AM

Re:head bolts 50lbs boost

You maybe or may not be OK at that PSI some hold it others don't if yours doesn't you need to o-ring the head or fire ring the head. I do not know about fire rining but O ringing consists of cutting a circular groove around each piston and laying a very fine wire in the groove to apply extra force on the stock head gasket (i believe) gurus will chime in!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The way I hear it, the stock gasket, if the engine is fully heated up before fulll boost is used, will take 60 psi, and if you retorque the head it will take 70 psi, again, fully heated up before using full boost.

Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 AM

If you're at 50 psi you should be okay to just retorque your stock head bolts to factory specs. I say "should be" because even a stock truck can blow a head gasket. Head studs at that level are a good idea, but beware that using them will make removing just the head an extremely difficult task... it's usually noted that pulling the whole engine out is required after using head studs since you can't lift the head up over the studs. Anything over 50 is in the range for o-ringing/fire ringing and a good gasket.

John
Old 09-24-2003, 08:55 AM
DTR Advertiser

What year truck do you have? I retorqed my head to 118ftlbs with the stock gasket and am having no problem at 65 lbs of boost. Talk to Haisley machine in Indiana or pm me and I will let you know how to do it properly. 24v engines seem to be more tolerant to boost stock than 12vs. I did mine 3000 miles ago and no problems. Tim
Old 09-24-2003, 11:20 AM

Captain Insane O,
I would recommend purchasing a 24valve Cummins tech manual if that is the engine you have.
And I also suggest removing and retorquing in factory order and spec each head bolt.

Your stock gasket should take 50psi with some retorqued head bolts.

But, I would really suggest getting an O ring Job.
If you are wanting to run real crazy boost like 80 psi and above, go with some fire rings (haisleys).

Good luck
--Justin
Old 09-24-2003, 12:01 PM

be careful not to over torque the factory bolts!!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Banned

You should be fine. What I personally would do, would be to go and buy a new headgasket and new head bolts before I did anything (maybe some stronger headbollts ???). But that's just me. I would highly recommend an O-ring job though.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=DF5152 link=board=7;threadid=20037;start=0#msg188639 date=1064422888]
be careful not to over torque the factory bolts!!!
[/quote]

Correct, if you just apply more torque to the head bolts, it won't hold more. The bolts will be stretched too far and will fatigue faster if the torque exceeds the bolts rating. If you need more clamping force (head to block) install higher rated bolts plus any other mods you require.

J-eh
Old 09-24-2003, 01:23 PM

Im not putting out 50 psi boost yet, just a roomer I heard about the head bolts I think just retorquing them to factory specs should be fine becuase I doubt I will ever get much past 50 psi boost. I am also curios how much boost does propane add?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My HO 01' held 54 psi but what I later learned when I had the oil pouring out the front was that I had hairline cracks between 3-4 and 4-5 as well as larger gaps at the water galley on 4 and 5.
I pulled the head, o-ringed it and used a stock replacement head gasket. Odd thing that happened was I gained more boost. I contribute this to having head gasket issues from either new or shortly after.

I dropped my EGT's by 100F and gained some boost from replacing the defective gasket and o-ringing.

Nearly the same result as the claims for porting and polishing.

I think my baseline was skewed by issues with the head gasket from the start.

Several folks have had the same boost numbers as me and had porting and polishing done and only gained at the most 1-2 pounds of boost and maybe 50F reduction over what I did.
So if your gonna split hairs and need that lil extra, then I think porting and polishing might be the way to go.
I had no plans to go further with that truck so I skipped the polish job. I was told it could be 40 hours of labor to do it right. Mess with the swirl areas and your gonna have problems. :'(

Whoops I rambled but wanted to share this discovery.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:04 PM

Propanes for Powerstrokes.

Cummins has no problem delivering more Diesel fuel to create more power.

Propane also has detonation problems that will cause a headgasket to fail.

I would suggest asking more questions and reading more on this website.
There is plenty of knowledge to be gained, and plenty of horsepower!

--Justin
Old 09-24-2003, 02:26 PM

Propanes for Powerstrokes
Ill have to dissagree.
Im runnin propane , and have been for about 20,000 miles with NO problems with it at all. I really love the extra fuel milage I get too... + 40% on milage including the lp. The guy that builds these systems (GFs dad) has over 600,000 miles in his motor (been in 4 different trucks) and still has the stock head gasket as well as the rest of the motor being stock.All this while pullin 48 ft gooses loaded with tractors, hay, etc...
So as for propane being for the Jokers ... untrue.
BTW: I gained about 4 lbs of boost with my propane system . I am not saying all propane systems are created equall because theyre NOT. My system is set up mainly for milage. The added 60 - 80 horses is just a plus. Most of your OVER THE COUNTER drugs run really hot from what I understand but Ive never tried them so I woudnt know.
Scott
Old 09-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't see why you would bother with having an second fuel source to carry around for a measly 40 HP... FWIW I would spend the money on injectors and only have to fuel up once, at one pump. The wiring, porting, solenoids extra fuel tank to mount. :P

What happens when you run out of propane?? Woulda shoulda when that smokin CTD goes flyin by with supermentals and a comp box... :'( LOL...

J-eh.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:46 PM

Like I said the propane gives me 40% better milage. The extra 60 -80 horsepower is just a plus .
BTW: If I do happen to run out of propane ,after 1500 miles, I still have the B1 and a couple of other goodies to keep the guy with his mentals and comp from even getting a good look at me ;D . Also there is only 2 wires. a couple of 3/8 hoses and a little regulator, along with whatever kind of tank you choose, to mount and it is a real clean installation .
Scott

Quick Reply: head bolts 50lbs boost