Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

have to build boost before truck moves???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE!!! have to build boost before truck moves???

the Georand brothers just built a trans for my truck and now my truck needs to build boost before it will start to pull my trailer at all. around 20lbs of boost.

also when i don't have my trailer hooked up its the same but it will slowly go then take off only after the boost finally builds up.

is it just the trans or do i have something else going on??

thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Definately not right. Sounds like converter, but...??
Who did the install? Called Dave?

RJ
Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a really tight converter, I'm with RJ , call dave and make sure nothing is wrong , then start adding fuel. FWIW , It says in your sig your going with a banks power pack , save your $$ and put one together yourself , you will get more power for less money.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 AM

most of the banks kit is already on the truck. the only thing that isn't is the intake. as the original one i got was warped so i had to send it back to get a new one. i got a hell of a deal on it new in the box and couldn't pass it up.

yes dave and them did the build and install.

as for fuel the starwheel and fuel plate are both as far as they will go forward the fuel plate is anyway and i know the starwheel is close. she only puffs a little smoke when i really harmer it.

joe

also when i first drove the truck home i noticed it maxed rpm about 2500 when i would floor it. that was odd too and i had asked dave about it and he said with the stator or something in the trans is what caused that. he showed me it was like a big turbine fin.

joe
Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 PM

he may of built the trans for what you're planning on doing to the truck. Dave has always been a ton of help to me. I'm sure he would answer all your questions.

My truck had the banks kit on it when i bought it. Taken all but the intake off and much happier now. think i've only got about 650 in the motor all together? and i know i have alot more power than a banks power pack would provide.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 PM

i just took the truck out for a spin with my Scan Tool attached to it.

at idle the load value % would jump from 12.1% to 12.5% and when my lights would flicker/dim and the volts gauge on the truck would drop and the tach would drop. it would go down to 11.7%. that was all in idle. yea the headlights dim and brighten even at speed.

Throttle Posn @ full throttle is 82%
Throttle Posn @ idle 23%

Load Value @ full throttle is 50.5%

Load Value @ 55mph is 24.3%
Throttle Posn @ 55mph is 41%

also it tells me that the engine is not running.
coolant temp is -40 degrees

when i had my other 97 dodge hooked up at a shop's big scanner it too said that, that truck was not running and the coolant was at the same temp. is there a reason for this that two different trucks would do this after the truck is fully warm??

now as for the trans. i guess the trans fluid must have been cold from sitting. as its fine now but still needs alot of boost to move.

@ 62mph the truck turns 1800 RPM with OD on and runs 14lbs of boost and 1000 degrees for an exhaust temp before the turbo.

@ 57 MPH the truck turns 1650 RPM with OD on and runs 12.5 lbs of boost and 1050 degrees for an exhaust temp.

if i floor the truck at a dead stop with my trailer attached the truck max's out @ 2,350 rpm through out the gears until the OD kicks in and then it drops. and the Exhaust temps goes to 1400 degrees and stays there while floored and the boost gauge goes to about 33lbs of boost and holds there until the RPM comes down when the OD kicks in.

joe
Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 AM

Yours sounds the same as mine... A tight converter and 3:55's is laggy, but it sure is nice once you get er spooled. It takes my turbo about 5 seconds to light from a dead stop with no load.

Eric