Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hauling with auto trany vs. standard???...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hauling with auto trany vs. standard???...need help!

Right now I have a rebuilt auto trany, haven't hauled much with it till recently. Pulled a load of 29k# and tore some stuff up on the inside. Taking it in to the shop tomorrow, still under waranty. I guess from what my mech. said, the autos aren't great because of the temps they reach and pressures they get to. They break gaskets and seals pretty good especially under that amount of load. Would it be worth spending that money ever year or so and rebuilding the trany or maybe consider a trany swap from and auto to a standard??? What would it cost if I were to do that and would it really solve my problems with hauling those big loads. This truck spends nearly all it's time hauling big loads like that, especially this year with the supply of hay I've got??? Or would it be better to get a used mini semi to just haul the loads?? I really need some help with this. If anyone knows anyone that has done a trany swap like this before and costs, I'd appreciate it!! Or just a whole new truck with a standard in it???

Any and all input guys! Thanks so much!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

I assume that the rebuilt auto that you destroyed was rebuilt to factory spec? A good built auto should be able to hold up to towing and not need to be rebuilt all the time. There are many threads discussing what shops build good autos. The swap is pretty involved and seems like an extreme solution.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 PM

i agree with dartmouth, for the cost and trouble a swap would entail, you could have a very well built auto. i spent more than i really wanted to on my auto, but it has turned out to be a very good investment.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 AM

My auto wasn't rebuilt to factory specs. It was upgraded to bigger everything and billet, dtt TC and new shift kits, high performance and new electronics. It wasn't cheap lol lol. But for the auto pulling a gross wieght of 36-37k# about 4 times a week, not sure if that's real great on it. That's why I was seeing if I should do a swap for a standard or just get a little bigger class of a truck to haul what I need then get a personal truck as well. Cause right now that's my only vehicle and it would suck to rely on it to get me to and from work and besides pulling those loads several times a week, if something happens while pulling, then I'm out of a truck for a few days or a week and then what do I do to get to and from work? lol lol Not too cool.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Get a semi to haul that much, you will destroy your truck in no time flat doing that much weight. Our trucks are only rated for a 13,000lb load behind it (it IS under rated some) and that is nearly triple that. How do you even stop? lol
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't list who did the tranny. There are tranny rebuilds .......and tranny rebuilds!
That being said...hauling that much that often will, I believe, tear up any CTD... auto or manual!

RJ
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need a 2 1/2 ton. Min. more like a full blown semi with a Cat
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Well, I'm actually in the process of looking into getting a single axle day cab, probably International with an M-11 Cummins, p-pumped, and a dt466 trany. I've seen some pretty descent ones out there.

As far was the trany rebuild, it was a performance shop towards Dallas. I have it on my reciept, I didn't take it there though. My mechanic took it out and took it there or shipped it. So I really can't remember where he said. But I know a lot of hot shotters that hve gotten thiers done the same place and love it! Ohh, I remember, where it was...the guy down in Midlothian...Can't really remember his name though. Wasn't cheap.

RowJ -

I was gonna ask you....what brand is your exhaust?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Yep, that's just too much weight IMO. Like the others said, no matter how built, I think that's too much to expect out of a pick-up hauling that much weight that frequently.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jordan5687
... Ohh, I remember, where it was...the guy down in Midlothian...Can't really remember his name though. Wasn't cheap.

RowJ - I was gonna ask you....what brand is your exhaust?
Midlothian is James Northum ... a DTT installer. He did mine and it has held up to a lot of racing and over 100,000 miles working.... but no hauling over 10-12-000 lbs.
People forget, but the DTT was designed for heavy towing. If it won't hold up... nothing will. IMO.

My 5" is a Diamond Eye...from RIP at Source Automotive. Very pleased!
http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/

RJ
Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM

2nd'd to the 10th power. That weight is just too much. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a manual truck that could regularly handle that weight. Do they even make a clutch meant for that heavy of a load?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jordan5687
Well, I'm actually in the process of looking into getting a single axle day cab, probably International with an M-11 Cummins, p-pumped, and a dt466 trany. I've seen some pretty descent ones out there.
I was gonna suggest a single axle day cab. A buddy of mine drove one with their soybeans this last harvest, said he would never go back to a pickup for it.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Alright thanks guys. I think my mind is made up for the single axle day cab. Gonna check out insurance tomorrow on it and farm tags. Now I need help with what's good in the mini semi dept.! Anyone know anyone that could help me with what I'm looking for and to make sure it has or doesn't have? I'm not too familiar with these trucks. Mine's gonna be up for sale here in about a month or two then.