Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hate to beat a dead horse (inj. issue)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hate to beat a dead horse (inj. issue)

I have been searching for an answer to my question(s) for the past few weeks and havn't came up with a clear solution yet. Maybe it would be easier if I posted my application and needs and let the brainiacs of DTR enlighten me.
My sig. is up to date. I pull a 24' heavy motocross\living trailer twice a week. Before I installed the comp. it was all the old cummins wanted to pull on level ground, just pray there weren't many hills between me and the next track. After the comp., virgin pump wire, I have alot more power but still need more. The truck still seems to be struggling a bit. I want to buy injectors and let them do the towing and use the comp for play. My question is, will 275's be enough for what I want? Remember, that I also want to play.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:45 PM

If you are relying on injectors to do your pulling get 80hp injectors and make sureyou install gauges if you don't have them.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Your weak link will be the Auto Transmission.
Most folks can get away with the EZ (or Comp without the pump wire), or injectors alone but the combination might put you into the trouble zone unless you're VERY careful with the throttle.
And MorePower is correct, gauges are very important when adding power & towing.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Put autometers in right after I bought the truck (thanks to the advice on this forum). I wouldn't mind letting the comp work a little bit of the towing, but I just don't feel comfortable letting it tow on level 3. I just came back from a 200 mile trip on flat interstate. My boost never dropped below 20 the whole time. Seems to be struggling.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Yes, that is my next endeaver. I believe that I can make it with just a TC and VB. I believe the tranny that is in it has only around 10,000 miles on it. I'm sure it is a stocker though. I tried real hard to make it slip while towing but she wouldn't let go. My wife has an attitude. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
OK,.....So get a set of EDM injectors installed, pierce the pump wire, and set up a speed dial button on your phone for your tranny rebuilder of choice.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:09 PM

Trouble is, she is always one step ahead of me. She has given me only enough of an allowance for a tc and vb. I tried to match wits with her and make her see the light (total tranny), I lost. I should hve married a dumb one.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dead horse

Just go on and tell her a big lie! Honey Its Broke.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:15 PM

i run the set up your talking about doing in mine.the 275`s are a nice injector if you just want a little more all around performance and would probably do you,but in my opinion,i would go ahead and go with some stage 2`s(80 horse range).if you dont go ahead with them now,you will want them later.even with just 275`s you better watch your temps pulling.you will probably want to put a turnbuckle on your wastegate to get your boost up.mine would go close to 1300 really quick at 21lbs,after i buckled the wastegate,itll only go about 1050 at 32lbs of boost(these were wot not pulling anything #`s) now for the big question,whos tc,vb you going with?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:08 AM

Thanks bama for the info. I've already disabled the wastegate. My gauge only goes to 35# and it's past that. As for TC and VB, I'm not for sure. I would like to do a complete install, just don't have the funds right now. From what I've seen, ATS will sell just the tc and vb. I'm not even for sure that my tranny will hold up for long but I've got to do something. Our race season starts in a month, after that, I won't have time to mess with it.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:03 PM

ats is nice,goerand will give you his 3disc for the same price with a lifetime warr.,and then theres suncoast thats got a nice warranty too.you could save a few dollars and go with a suncoast single disc set up,superstreet did that and was really impressed with his....ive been talking with all of them lately and have about made up my mind,ill be going to the beach in a couple of weeks.........
Old 01-19-2004, 04:21 PM
DPG

xxcbr:

How heavy is your trailer, loaded? I pull a high-profile 5er that weighs in at about 11k. I pull it with my 99 (see sig) and I can pass people going uphill. I'm wondering if there is another issue with your rig?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 PM

DPG, I have no idea, never weighed it. I know it is heavy though. I thought that there may be something wrong also. Without the comp, its a turd. Having never owned a cummins before, I thought that was just normal. The truck runs great. I pull plenty of boost, just no power. I read on here before that without any mods, they are low on power. I have always driven gassers and I would rate the power difference just above them.
With the comp, I can pretty much run any speed that I want. It just seems to be working awful hard. My boost is always way up ( 20 to 35). Part of this could be the stock tc and vb, I'm not sure.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:39 PM

Bama, is superstreet running just the converter? Thats what I'm wanting to do along with a vb. Just concerned about the tranny holding up. Like I said, I tried to make it slip while towing uphill. The rpm's never changed. I'm planning on ordering this week or next, just gotta make up my mind.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:58 PM
j

i did just the tc and a shift kit (which is all the vb is). i went w/ats triple lock tc and a trans go shift kit. works nice, but takes some getting used to. the internals of my trans were in good condition so the only thing i added to the install was a mag hytec pan and 2nd gear band strut. i guess my point is, take it to a quality trans shop who you trust, have them look at the internals while it's apart, and go from there.

Quick Reply: Hate to beat a dead horse (inj. issue)