Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hard starting problem I have

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard starting problem I have

Can someone help me with a problem? I purchased a used 1998.5 24 valve Dodge 2500 back in May and installed a FASS 95 psi pump on it, to replace the stock lift pump. Haven't had any problems until just after lunch today. I had just finished pulling a tandem axle flatbed gooseneck and shut the truck off for about 30 minutes. When I tried starting it again, the starter would turn the engine but it wouldn't start. Tried several times but nothing. Let it sit for about an hour and a half and it started. What is happening and how hard is it to fix? The truck has a Banks PowerPack system installed and up until today, there hasn't been a problem. I do have a starter which sounds like the bendix is about to go out and want to get that replaced, but as it is now, the starter turns the engine but it is hard to start. Any idea's?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

shot in the dark here - pull your codes and lets see whatcha got.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 PM

sounds like another vp-44 going south!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See comment from 'Diesel-Dan'... the FASS Man... here -
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=118579

RJ
Old 10-03-2006, 11:30 AM

Hey Blackdiesel, got in touch with a friend who will put his scanner on it later today. This morning, it started the first time. When I started again about 2 hours later, it took 2 trys for it to start and the same thing a few minutes ago. When we see what codes pop up, I'll leave another message. Thanks for your advice.
Cuz
Old 10-03-2006, 03:10 PM

If you VP is old...you will always have a chance it is going south....this is how mine went...hard starts......had to use either to bust it off.....but you dont seem to be there yet. I hate to condem someone's VP....and my theroy is to run them into the ground to make 100% sure its the VP.....or as far as you can stand it! haha.....

Next time you get hard starts when hot, try to unplug the FASS and see if the issue clears. If it does, you might want to read up on the link that Rjohnson posted a few back.......i cover this issue pretty good there.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:48 PM

Well, we hooked up the scanner to the truck but no codes came up. My friend told me that some of the early 24 valve trucks didn't spit out any codes and mine was one of them. So we unhooked the Banks Ottomind control unit and it was still a bit hard to start, but maybe a little bit better. By this time, the starter was really dragging, so I went to the auto parts and purchased a lifetime warranty starter. Will have that installed tomorrow while I'm working. I had called a drag racing record holder that races a Dodge Cummins who I was told runs in the 9's and he said it might be a sensor a little out of kilter. Maybe when the starter is changed the "ghost" will go away, as it came when the starter first started giving me trouble this past weekend ( I should be so lucky ! ). Anyway, I'll keep you good people posted as I find out something.
Cuz

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM

Hi Diesel Dan,
I appreciate you sending the Trouble Shooting Manual for the FASS System. I read it and have printed up a couple of copies for both myself and my friend, who also has the FASS System on his truck. He doesn't have the problem that I do, but his truck has the twin turbo setup, a high performance injector pump and other goodies so that he has around 600 hp. I saw in the trouble shooting manual that it may be a restriction inside the fuel tank due to the fine mesh screen wire on the pickup tube. I have also noticed that I can hear a high pitch sound in the cab when running down the road so I suppose I need to do the 5 gallon bucket test in part 3d ( Fuel Pump is Noisy ). My friend told me that I have the new type FASS Pump Motor, which is the brushless design, as that was his first major concern. I might also add, I've been adding the AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Concentrate and the AMSOIL Cetane Boost every time I've filled up with fuel since first purchasing this truck back in July. Once the truck starts, it really runs great, but it's just the "getting the truck started" that seems to be the problem. Should I go ahead and replace the VP ? I don't know if it's the original pump that came on the truck or not. When I bought the truck, it had 118,000 miles on it and now it has about 128,500 miles. I really don't need any more horsepower than I already have with the Banks System installed, as I'm not concerned with all the horsepower that some people around here are. And as time goes on, I plan to have the automatic transmission beefed up with a triple-lock converter installed from Suncoast. I just want to be able to have good fuel economy ( which I do now ) and to be able to pull a gooseneck with about 15,000 pounds and do it effeciently with no problems. I've been told I have 3:55 gears, as I am taching about 1500 rpm's at 55 mph. Do you have any recommendations if I need to replace the Injector Pump ? Should I go with a "stock" or with a hi-performance unit ? Should I inquire about the thicker "diaphragm disc" or will a repair shop know about this update ? When my friend called the diesel injector repair shop today, the man had never heard of a FASS System and the man inquired if we were sure I have adiquate fuel pressure or not. Also, is there a place you know of where I can purchase a "mechanical" Fuel Pressure Gauge and mount it inside the cab, using an "isolator" and will it need to be able to handle 20 psi for the output side of the FASS System ( to the VP ) or 95 psi ? Also, should it be connected to the port in the body of the FASS Body or inline in the supply line to the VP ? Any suggestions you may can recommend are appreciated.
Cuz
Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Diesel-Dan, sorry about the last post! I ommitted the "hypen".
Cuz
Old 10-03-2006, 11:08 PM

This is kind of on topic, sorry though.

Can you flip the Selanoid(sp?) over on the Cummins? I know you could do that on the old GM's.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 AM

Diesel-Dan,
I started up my Dodge this morning and it started the first time it turned over. The starter was still dragging, but it is at the shop now having a rebuilt starter installed. This morning, it went: click, click, click, click and then when it turned the engine, it started up. Had the guy at the parts store to test both batteries yesterday when I got the starter and he said both batteries were at 100 percent. Should I take the stock pickup tube out of the tank and replace it with an aftermarket ? And while I'm new to DTR and doing searches, would you please send me the link to Rjohnson so I can read up, like you suggested, about when you went in depth about the FASS System ? Like I said before, I'm happy with the system I have if I can just get the truck started when I've been running the truck and it is hot. If I need to have a new VP installed, so be it. I found a shop about 45 miles from here who rebuilds the injector pumps, but have no idea if they warranty them, who sells them for $1050.00 plus a core charge, but the man who rebuilds them has never heard of the Fass System. My firend at his shop charges 300 bucks to install the injector pumps. Would be great to find someone or someplace who sells a pump with a lifetime or extended warranty, if you know of such a place. I would like to talk with you, if you are available to talk on the phone. I have unlimited calling 24/7 on my business phone and could call, if this is allowed with you and DTR. You don't know how much I appreciate the help you've already given. Just wish there were more people or shops locally that knew about FASS and the Cummins in the Dodge trucks.
Cuz
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cuz199824v2wd
...would you please send me the link to Rjohnson so I can read up, like you suggested, about when you went in depth about the FASS System ? ....
Link is 8 posts above!

RJ
Old 10-04-2006, 02:26 PM

before you get all excited , i had a problem like this on my 99. and it ended up being a injector line was lose. it was the #6 line all the way in the back it was finger tight if that. hey it's just any idea for ya. it hadn't driped any. the only reson I found it was when I was changeing the injectors because I thought they were the problem. just an idea and it will only cost your time.....
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Message to all who responded with help: Thank you ! I will check the injector lines, just to be sure. Changed out the starter and the problem has gone......so far ! ( knock on wood! uh, have to use my head ! )

Diesel-Dan, I'm still interested in the fuel pressure gauge and mounting it in the cab using an isolator. Any suggestions as to what Auto Meter part I may need ? And would I need to hook it up to the port on the FASS Pump or put a "tee" inline on the outlet side of the FASS System, close to the Injector Pump ? Also, I'm not sure how to look back 8 posts on this DTR page. Could you give me a hint on how to do it or do I need to do something at another page ?
Cuz
Old 10-04-2006, 03:49 PM

RJ,
Thanks, I found it......guess my head isn't as hard as I previously thought ! ( or maybe it is ! )

Quick Reply: Hard starting problem I have