Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hard Start Got Any Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Start Got Any Ideas

Hey guys here's my problem: I had a local guy replace my injection pump after having recent problems getting the truck to start at all. Before new I.P. I've replaced lift pump (two weeks ago), fuel lines from tank to I.P. (Vulcan Fuel Line Kit), added 100 h.p. injectors. When new I.P. was changed truck started right up!! Then it sat for about 1 hr, and wouldn't start. Had to be cranked over numerous times and a shot of ether managed to make it come alive. Replaced my injectors with a pair of stock cores, tips of 4 out of 6 of mine where covered with carbon. Ran fine Friday night, no start up issues after being shut down 3-4 times on the way home. Got ready to leave Sat. with trailer and it just cranked and cranked before firing up. Ran pretty good considering that it had been denutted if you will. (Took out injectors, and unplugged comp box due to warranty on new I.P.) Have to replace one fitting on fuel filter that started leaking, called Eric Sunday and he is sending me another one, great guy! Hopefully leaking fitting may have left enough air into system to keep truck from starting when sitting overnight Friday. If new fitting doesn't cure hard to start issue any one got any suggestions. P.S. I've got no fuel leaks on my garage under truck after letting it sit over Sunday evening. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been living with intermittant hard starts for 6 months. Have not solved it yet... but a few observations are....
-Fuller the tank, the easier the truck starts.
-Starts easier warm than cold?
-When it does not catch right away... I bump it and let pump run for 5-10 sec. Starts fairly quickly without heavy cranking.

RJ
Old 05-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Bad module in the tank?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:12 AM

Well I'm going to try to unhook my fuel tank and run my fuel line from my lify pump directly into a 5 gallon container and see how the truck starts doing this. Then let it sit like this overnight and see how it'll fire up the mext morning. This will hopefully point me in a direction of having something out of whack at the fuel tank. I'm currently thinking about changing the return line from the vp44 to the tank, but I don't think that would really help anything. I've got a buddy who's dually leaks horribly at the tank but it starts reliably. That's why this is getting so frustrating. At least I've got a new injection pump, changed the original one at 215,000. Not bad I'd say.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM

I'm guessing you're loosing prime- possibly one or more of the injector tubes didn't seal correctly. I don't know from experience- just an educated guess.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 PM

i changed my injection pump and my injectors around the same time and i've had this issue ever since.

it cranks cranks cranks like crazy before she fires. i thought it was a leaking injector so went and double checked them all and found one... thought i had her but nope... then i started ******* with the water fuel seperator/fuel filter and i took the plastic drain nozzle off put some new o-rings in there and bolted her back up.. started hard the first time of course but after that no problems!! worked great for a couple days then the same thing...... did the same thing again... worked great for a couple days.... then hard starts again. i can't figure this out and i'm a stinkin mechanic!!

she runs great after she starts though