Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hard to install a HRVP44?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to install a HRVP44?

Well failry soon Im sure my ol' VP is going out and its HR time. Who had installed one themselves? How long does it take? How hard is it? Or should I just take it to a local shop?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is your first VP R&R it wil take you three hours. There are four bolts that hold it to the "housing" , then three that hold the bracket on and then the big nut to hold the gear on. You will need a puller to get the gear to "POP" off the shaft.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 AM

You can do it yourself with no big issues..... Plan on 3-4 hours of your time. If you want to call and can explain the steps to you and tools needed.

Doug Smith
Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm there with you. I just ordered one from Jetpilot yesterday and am putting it in this weekend. There are a few good step by step write ups on this site.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM

on mine, it took a size T50 to remove the two torx fasteners holding the support bracket on the pump.

get an engine barring tool as its guaranteed to work. some have used the alternator but mine just slip (trying to turn over 17:1 compression takes some grip) and i did not have a bolt in the center of the harmonic dampener (it was a 4 pattern) plus if i did have it i would have been concerned with stripping the threads.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yarddog
I'm there with you. I just ordered one from Jetpilot yesterday and am putting it in this weekend. There are a few good step by step write ups on this site.
I did too, on friday. Hopefully its here before the weekend. I was figureing 2.5 to 3 hrs myself, never done a VP, but I've done plenty of VE's.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Just don't forget to unbolt the support bracket in back (Torx), and get the key pointing up before you pull the gear off.

Overall not a bad job. I think the hardest part is making absolutely sure that the new pump lines up perfectly.

Have a flashlight and mirror on hand.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 PM

I've been doing a ton of research and reading on how to do this and it seems straight forward. Here's a few tips I've found: #1 important is like Dtroy said put the key at 12 o'clock before you pull the gear off. Then you can super glue the key to the VP axle to keep it in place. Use a 3/4 crows foot for the #6 line. Remove the lines in 2 groups of 3. If you seperate all the lines good luck getting them back together. Replace the Cam position sensor while the pump's out. Napa and Car Quest want $75-$85 for it. Cummins Rocky Mountain has it for $25.

Good luck guys. May your new VP's get plenty of cool fuel.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM

My pump finally came yesterday afternoon. I got it all apart with no major issues before I ran out of day light. Taking my time and being carefull it took about 2 hours. #6 injector line was a little tough. There's no room to work back there. I used a 3/4 wrench and a 3/4 crows foot with an inch extension. Separating the pump from the cover was harder than I expected. Other than that it's all straight forward. My old pump was reman'd in CZ

The short bolts that hold the intake hat are the same thread as the VP gear and worked perfect in my small gear puller.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by yarddog
My pump finally came yesterday afternoon. I got it all apart with no major issues before I ran out of day light. Taking my time and being carefull it took about 2 hours. #6 injector line was a little tough. There's no room to work back there. I used a 3/4 wrench and a 3/4 crows foot with an inch extension. Separating the pump from the cover was harder than I expected. Other than that it's all straight forward. My old pump was reman'd in CZ

The short bolts that hold the intake hat are the same thread as the VP gear and worked perfect in my small gear puller.

shorty wrenches my man...shorty wrenches. Use a long wrench to break it loose then use the shorty after that...same with install, use the shorty to get it snug then tighen it with the long wrench