Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hamilton cam first impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have bigger grinds now. They utilize very short seat times, meaning that they have similar duration to the 181/210 but the lift and the duration at .100" .200" and .300" is improved. The shorter seat time translates to better bottom end while the better duration numbers at higher lifts allow the cam to work at higher rpms better. In effect you have a wider and more aggressive power band.

As far as the bolt on they are 1.250 inches deep, red loc-tite and 44 ft-lbs keep them in place and we have taken them over 6k with 13mm pumps and no failures to date. In fact that is exactly what I have in my truck.

On the mileage, a few things to check.
inj pump gear orientation
lash
boost leaks
fuel pressure
vp-health
did you change any thing else at the same time? Head gasket, thicker or more slim inj. washers

In most instances our 181/210 picks up between .5 to 2.5 mpg and our 176/206 and 176/210 pick up a little more.

If all of those check out fine, try loosening the lash on the intake to .015" this will effectively shorten the seat timing a few degrees on the opening and closing ramps and will make the engine more efficient at lower rpm(cruising) while only loosing .00362" in lift. If nothing in that dept. try putting the exh at .015 as well to spool the charger even better on the bottom. These are minor changes but might do the trick on cruising airflow.

One last thing is I always loose mpg my first tank after a mod. I always have to test the "limits" of the new product. Run some stanadyne through the pump to clean the sticks and cruise normal. If you are still not happy I would be glad to swap you out for a more economy minded cam like the 176/206.

Zach Hamilton
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
The Guru

Zach, on the bigger cams (flycuts piston camshafts) do you run more lash on the valves? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

A buddy of mine has a truck your 180/210 cam. It make the truck sounds abit different at idle. He seemed pretty impressed with the cam. Now I can't wait to get one for my truck.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM

zach,
thanks for the ideas i will check some things out and see. the valve lash might be my problem i set them a bit on the tight side, which is how i set all of my valves just used to doin that on my pulling tractor it is how i was tought. ill try to loosen them up a bit, i know that you can really hear the turbo movin alot more air, i dont really mind the fuel economy i dont guess thats part of moddin the way i see it. but thanks for the offer i would buy another cam from you guys in an instant i wish you did pulling cams for john deere tractors i would try one.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 PM

We can do cams for anything, If it is diesel I sort through what Geoff has available, look at your head flow chart factor in for rpm and what size tappet you are running and then presto pulling cam at your doorsteps. Have you had any change in mileage?

Mike lash kind of depends on the engine and the cam and what you are trying to accomplish. As a rule of thumb intakes never should be set below .007" and exhausts never below .015" because the exhaust valve grows when at full temp. As for the rest, sometimes a looser lash is employed to loose a few degrees of seat time and clear a piston. You have to go on a case by case with a degree wheel and some basic knowledge of what is going on. When you get a custom you will get the skinny before the install with us.

Zach
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM

With the big stick I have seen where you recommend .10 int and .15 exh. That is where I was planning to set mine when I install my suds (its at .10, .20 now). Do you think I should do this or stay with the stock lash for my set up?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
The Guru

Thanks Zach, looking forward to working with you guys. I'm just going with the old standby 180/210 cam this year. There was no money to build a decent motor this year, but have one heck of a truck build going on. Will try to get by on 800-900rwhp in a 3500lbs truck.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 AM

Nice! I hope the build includes a loose nut behind the wheel.

big deezul, yes 10 and 15 makes it a little snappier.

Zach
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by hamilton cams
Nice! I hope the build includes a loose nut behind the wheel.

big deezul, yes 10 and 15 makes it a little snappier.

Zach

Thanks Zach, lots of people looking at the truck would agree with you. You have any info on that whizzy 12V or 24V head you guys have on the go?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 AM

hey mike,

let me know when you are ordering your cam and springs.

when i do my injectors this summer, i wouldn't mind doing new springs and pushrods at the same time - then i won't have to worry about those when i do a cam oneday.

i might look into ordering all three and just let the cam sit until i am ready/have the time to install it.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 AM

zach -

i have read about some pretty sweet sales you run from time to time. any idea when the next one is coming?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
The Guru

Jason, I'll let you know when the order goes in. I'm still trying to piece this ride together. You should go for a ride with Tate's truck. The truck rev's pretty up to smoothly to 4000 rpm's just like it was suspose to. I would guess that biggest gains are in the top end power. The cam has a nice idle sound to it. My engine is on the floor so the cam swap is a piece of cake. I'll be running a maxed out ported head and hacked of intake manifold plenum and a P pump with a 5 gsk. I'm trying hard to get to be around the 1000rwhp mark with giggles, so I can get the truck into the 9's and around 145mph in a 1/4mile pass.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM

i have checked my mileage two more times, and with the quad adr on 10 the mileage went back up to 16+ with the adr on 4 it is around 14 i dont really understand it but it tickels me just fine. i think i am going to loosen up the intakes a bit and see how that changes things.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Hey Zach I'm curious as to any feed back you have from any of your customers on how the newest grinds you have are doing in a daily driver? And is it still a drop in cam meaning no bushings or flycuts required? And does gear have to be modified in anyway for the bolt on retainer? Sorry for long winded questions just very interested in purchasing your newest grind.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 AM

I've got a billet big stick in my 24v. Its not a daily driver, but it makes it so much nicer to drive. Earlier spool, and carries the power up much further. Can't comment on EGT's, since I still peg the pyro with the fuel I have. No mods needed for the bolt on retainer. No flycuts or bushings in my setup.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Ok what is the difference from the two Big Sticks that Peak Diesel offers called the NBS Big Stick and The NMSC Big Stick

Last edited by cedardiesel; 03-25-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: hamilton cam first impression