Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

H1E hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H1E hybrid

I know what you guys are thinking. A H1E hybrid thread in second gen forum? well, I am going to try it. I got a great deal on an H1E on EBAY. I want to hybrid this H1E to my HX35. I am in the Navy on deployment right now, so I won't be able to actually try this for about 4 months. It has been killing me whether to buy an H1C to hybrid it to, because I know it will work with one of them. I have been told that the H1C shaft is the same a HX35 shaft. By that reasoning, I should be able to use the H1E center cartridge and compressor, and the HX35 shaft and exhaust housing for a pretty decent hybrid. I have the same compressor wheel as the HTT stage 3 for the H1C. What do you guys think? If it works, it will be another alternative to the 35/40 option.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the shafts may b the same i would call a few places to make sure ,also tho u need to check the length , the Cartridge may differ from the H1 series to the HX
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM

I'm not sure the HX35's exhaust housing will bolt up to the CHRA of an H1E. It is nice to see someone trying something new and using their own ingenuity. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I haven't found any cheap turbos and I don't think my dad would like it if I tore into the farm equipment
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM

I called HTT and they said that I could use a H1C shaft, and exhaust housing, so by that merit, I could also use a hx35 right? The big variables are the shaft size of the H1C and the HX35, and the reliability of the information I got from HTT and my interpretation of the information. Upon revies of the information that HTT sent me:

You have two probable options. Swap out your turbine wheel and then I can get you all the way down to a 14cm^2. A 19cm^2 wastegated is about the smallest I can find for your current wheel. Or you can swap out to an H1C turbine wheel and I can get you a 12, 14, 16, 18. All have 3” flange outlets.

High Tech Turbo

(801) 304-0700

...I conclude that the only variable left is the shafts of the hx35 and H1C being the same. If they are the same, then that opens up the options for hybriding holset turbos from the H1 family to the HX35, and HX40 family of turbos. If the information I got is correct, then we have a lot more options than we may have previously been aware of.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rods
the shafts may b the same i would call a few places to make sure ,also tho u need to check the length , the Cartridge may differ from the H1 series to the HX

I am deployed. I am lucky that the internet works. Telephone time is at a premium when you share one line between 250 people. I talk to my wife about once a week, which brings us to my situation where I can't spend much on a turbo. I am married now. I would have downloaded the holset maintenance manuals from cummins.com/turbos, and compared part numbers, but when you share a satellite internet connection with this many people, let's just say, it's not exactly like my cable internet at home.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the shafts are the same 10.972
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Well, I talked to my buddy in Montana. I had the H1E delivered to his house because that is where the seller was. What are the odds? I just remembered that when I was mudding up there (see gallery, not the same mud hole, but same trip home) I drowned my truck in a puddle that turned out to be about 4 feet deep. It burned up the turbo, so I ended up replacing it while I was there. the old hx35 was sitting in his shop. The shaft was bent, but we straightened it back out. it won't run like that, but at least I will be able to tell if it is going to fit. From what I see in this thread it is looking promising. Thank you for your help with the research Rods. I will let you guys know how it works out when he puts it together.

Last edited by smoke_pedal; 08-01-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: brain fart