Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

H E L P up to my neck in problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy H E L P up to my neck in problems

OK here i go!! I am a do it yourselfer ( and new to the diesel world bought mine in 04 used clean)all the way except for the tranny swap needed a bit o help for that one alot o work for me when the truck is my everyday truck.no truck no work, no money, no new bombs, need i say more.A close friend has his own shop and lets me work on it in there when its something major and he coaches me along on most of the dirty work.after the reman trans was installed things were good for awhile.10 k later shuddering....... .now i put in a pressure loc. to no avail still there..but seemed to loose a bit of off the line TQ.or so i think i may just be thinking too much..i have been reading all the info out there on the DTT VS GOEREND and all other related topics here on the dtr.so i went out and got me a BD vb from xtreme diesel local to me.phil has good knowledge and was very helpful.I got it from him as a last minute idea to help this chattering to try and buy some time before i get a TC from ????? my reman is under warranty and my buddy(who is the shop owner) is looking into getting me somekind of credit for it and I am hoping to apply it to a new one.now that i installed the vb i seem to have shift points higher at wot is this normal??my low end TQ is mia also.I really want to just be able to break the tires loose when in 5-5 and with all the mod's i thought i would have been there by now.I am guessing that it is possible that the lack of TQ could be from the lack of fuel pressure, since i installed my light this week its been on all throughout throttle. it goes out at idle . that light is like an itch waiting to be scratched .its just screaming FIX ME!!!like i was saying in tha dtt vs goerend all i plan on adding is 4" straight pipe turbo-out, some injectors,a fass fuel system,and maybe just maybe a bigger turbo like a b1 but i have more to adress before i can even put that in the same sentence togather.LIKE A NEW TC I hardley ever tow but if i do its only like 2-4,000 and thats like once every 3-4 months if that.so which TC given my mods would some of you guys recommend.pro's and con"s of each, and do you think that there are some other things that should be upgraded given my mods current and future i should consider. actuator,piston etc....? the vb did come with a new 2nd gear band strut that was a heavier duty which i installed.I was a little bit questionable on the adj of the band strut and help here would be good. I checked the gap between the auctuator and the???? with the tool they supplied so i am guessing its right. i am a bit nervous if its too tight or too loose?what sighns should i look for if either was the case.currently my pressures are at 75 in drive at idle. i have peaked it at 125 from what the pressure guage read after a road test.so i know at least my pressures are correct. and that kick down cable adj. i forgot to mark before i took off the white clip. anyone have a measurement on how far from the casing of the cable to the first ridge in the cable itself is for stock. I lost my starting point.does anyone else run a pressure loc????

as for the fass w/ or w/o filters ? pro's and con's of each???is there even an alternative??i havent heard of any competition to them yet.but like i said i am newer to this forum an i am tackling one prob at a time and this is going to be my next issue.plus i didnt see as much info on fueling....i am guessing there is a reason for it since there may only be one way to go.I just dont want to make the same mistake i did w/ my trans and put in another stock!!!plus since the truck is still getting fuel i am leaveing it alone till i get this TC situation fixed..... I just hope nothing else goes wrong right now!!!....lol....
Old 10-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your TC is already shuddering, a VB is just gonna be a band aid for a little while. The power will eventually get to it. Your best bet it so replace the TC and then put the new VB in it. Call up Stefan at DTT and ask him how to adjust the WOT shift points. I wanna say it's in the kick down cable but don't quote me. When you say high shift points, what do you mean? 3500rpm? 3000rpm? As far as bottom end, I have no clue. Mine picked up A BUNCH after I tapped the wire with the new VB in it. To be able to spin those tires your gonna need a pretty beefy tranny and a good amount of power. Even if I stall mine up a bit and stand on it on 5x5 I can't spin mine. Those tires are heavy and have a lot of grip.

As far as the FASS, I'd go with the 150gph non filtered one and run it through the stock filter. A lot cheaper to do and works just as well. Not to mention you get to keep the factory fuel heater and water in fuel light.

How are you liking those tuff country ladder bars? I've got the same one's and I love em. Your the first person I've seen that has them as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at this thread, it'll tell you how to adjust the shift points....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=79685
Old 10-09-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the link cowhand. the directions i got with the vb were not very specific as to what those 2 screws were adj. only to turn them if you had "x" happening and if not ???????? what then. so a bit of a frown on bd directions for the DIY builder.even though i know a bit about auto mec. i was a bit confused..

BIGBLUE i originally installed them to cut down on all the axl wrap-up i had after i lifted it. thinking that thats where i was getting the vibration from.low and behold 2 months later it was the tranny just sending me message. tellin me it was toast.man that is one expensive smell huh believe it or not i milked the truck all the way from philly to home then a load of cinderblocks from home depot back home then to the shop in flemington NJ mon morning all with a toasted tranny.....she never let me down yet!!!!! well except for the day the sending unit went in the tank and i ran outa fuel what a day that was..

and yes my shift point at wot for all gears take forever and are well out of the power range of the engine it is at like 3500 rpm's for most all gears

anyone have a measurement by anychance on that tv cable up by the tps at all for stock?? as i said before i forgot to mark the stock location before i adj. it.any clue would be helpful even for a starting point???

and yes