Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Guages installed - pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Guages installed - pics

I finally got my gauges installed - EGT and trans. I also got the low fuel pressure warning light kit (lift pump pressure) installed from BD Power. You can see the LED just to the upper left of the EGT gauge.

I got the pyro installed pre-turbo, but the shop ordered the EGT gauge designed for post-turbo installs by mistake:M. The one designed for pre-turbo installs has higher yellow and red zones. New correct one is on order.

I also got my exhaust done. Finished it off with a nice polished double-walled 5" stainless tip. You could roll a grapefruit through the muffler!:B (Yes I did get the muffler installed, I have heard straight piped trucks - too noisy for me - especially for campground driving, not to mention illegal in these parts). It is a tiny bit louder than stock, but the untrained ear (such as my wife) can't hear the difference. I can though. I didn't find the exhaust upgrades did anything "noticeable" for EGT. Maybe it will when I'm pulling a load, which I haven't done yet. I also recently added the BD power boost fooler and J-Hook combo to the turbo to allow me to run slightly more boost (26-28 psi vs. 19-20 psi stock). I have a K&N air filter (yes I know, I know - I may as well mention religion or politics:R). That combined with the Superchips programmer, and I'm set. I have been bitten by the "Bombing Bug", but I think I am cured now. I wanted a bit more power, and the ability to see what's going on with the engine and trans, but I don't want a dyno dominating race truck (although it would be nice...hmmmm....NO! Smarten up!).

Also took it in to a local tranny shop, and had them flush it, change the filter, and adjust the bands. I spoke with the owner for a while before taking the truck in, and told him the mods that I had, and the trailer weight I pull. He said he would also ensure the line pressure was set as high as factory specs allow. He said all looked good, bands needed a tiny adjustment, internals all looked good (they should, truck only has 50,000 miles on it). I did notice the band adjustment took the slight "laziness" out of the tranny's shifting.
I made them go to the dealer and buy ATF+4 to put in it too.

Then as soon as the "low fuel pressure warning light" was hooked up, it came on - all the time and never went off. Turns out I had 4 psi @ idle, and 2 psi under load. No P0216 code though. Into the local dealership for a new LP. They put the in tank kit on it. Now I can only get the light to come on when I floor it, and the RPMs climb above 2500. Then it just "tickles" the 5 psi limit and the light flickers. I'll have to keep an eye on that thing.

All in all, I'm happy. Now, if all this snow would melt so I can get the RV out of hibernation...
Old 03-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges look good, and I bet you are glad you got the warning light!