Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Guage rattle is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry Guage rattle is driving me nuts

I have an Isspro mech. FP guage. It is tapped at the VP44 inlet. I also have a needle valve inline to act as a snubber. FP guage used to act normal and rarely made noise. Now it makes noise all the time and has gotten past the point of being annoying. I have tried adjusting the needle valve with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Would a second needle valve help?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I re-adjust mine usually when the weather starts getting warmer.
Just did it last week.
I shut the valve all the way down, the just crack the valve open until I get a reading, then shut the engine down to make sure the pressure bleeds off quickly.
Your attachment at the VP might need a short section of rubber line to act as a snubber.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have occasional gauge noise even with grease gun hose and a needle valve.

Shovel is right- you need a tighter needle valve setting in warmer weather, as the viscosity of the fuel is less.

jlh
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call whoever you bought this from, they should replace it for free! I had the same problem.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Guage rattle is driving me nuts

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I have an Isspro mech. FP guage. It is tapped at the VP44 inlet. I have tried adjusting the needle valve with no luck.
Test your needle valve. I could not stop the rattle; thought I needed a new gauge. Found my needle valve would not shut down completely. Replaced it...opened valve just enough to get smallest amount of flow possible. Now when I turn my key on, needle only jumps to about 5 psi and takes 2-3 sec to come up to full pressure after starting.....but rattle has not come back. Still drops to 0 immediately on shutdown.

Moving hook up away from VP44 will help also. I used a "T" in the fuel line, about 18" aft of pump.

RJ
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Mcmopar
Call whoever you bought this from, they should replace it for free! I had the same problem.
I bought the setup from Wildcat Diesel a few months before he closed down.

It was not a problem before. Only recently. And now with the needle valve completely closed, I still have rattle and a pressure reading.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Chapter President

Check all of your connections. I have found that the least little leak will cause rattle and needle jump. As a matter of fact, I just fixed mine again yesterday. The hose develops a minute leak where the hose connects to the gage. I need to replace the rubber with braided.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator

The line is stainless steel braided and there are no leaks.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I bought the setup from Wildcat Diesel a few months before he closed down.

It was not a problem before. Only recently. And now with the needle valve completely closed, I still have rattle and a pressure reading.
If you STILL see the pressure rise & fall with the valve closed off, then you've found your problem.....the needle valve is bad.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Shovelhead
If you STILL see the pressure rise & fall with the valve closed off, then you've found your problem.....the needle valve is bad.
I hate when I overthink a problem and don't see the obvious. Thanks Shovelhead, . Know where I can get a new needle valve?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Home Depot
Old 04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

They don't have Home Depot here on Guam. I can't think of a place that would have them, maybe a hydraulic shop?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:34 PM

Any place that sells hydraulic/plumbing fittings should be able to come up with something.

1/8" npt should be the correct size.

Graingers sells them (but you probably don't have one of those there either, huh?)
Old 04-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same Wildcat kit as you do. Mine does it on occasion also. Adjust the needle valve so it is barely open.

Pulling FP off the VP shrader valve does make it more prone to "buzzing". That was where my first connection used to be. Change it to pull FP off the bottom of the filter canister and used a grease gun hose as a snubber. Other than winter/wummer fuel changeover, you shouldn't have any buzz anymore.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tool
Home Depot
Are you kidding!? I drove past the Depot and over to Lowes, because it seems like HD never has anything I need. Then I looked around AutoZone while picking up some things, and over to Northern Hydraulics, no luck . I quickly scanned grainger.com but didnt see anything, so I came here! I'll try HD tommorrow, any other suggestions, just in case?

Quick Reply: Guage rattle is driving me nuts