Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Guage help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guage help needed

I am a new cummins owner, bought an '02 dodge. Anyway, from what I have read so far, a fuel pres. guage on these VP'ed trucks is pretty much mandatory. My first question is, should I get an electric guage or mechanical? I want electric so I dont need an isolator under the hood, is this a good way to go? And is a 0-30 psi guage a good bet? My next question is, which guages will best match the stock guages, easiest install, best quality, etc? I had isspro guages in my old powerstroke, they were ok, but wasnt super impressed with their quality and questioned their accuracy. Im thinking a want to go with auto meters this time. I will also be getting a boost, EGT and trans temp guage, so I will need to obviously have 4 guages in the cab. What would by the best mounting option? Thinking a 3-way pillat pod for the three main guages, and the pod that goes on top of the steering column for the fuel press. Does this all sound ok so far? Is the column pod a quality piece? fit good and not in the way of steering, shifting, or guages? Thanks for any and all input on these matters!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM

I just did gauges in my truck. I have a 12 valve so I don't know what PSI fuel pressure gauge you'll need but definately go with a mechanical, no isolater, using steel braid hose with AN fittings. Highly accurate! The isolaters are usually used in gas applications because of the gas fumes being so explosive. Diesel isn't flammable like gas is so it's like running a regular mechanical oil pressure gauge. I have had Auto-Meter gauges in all my hi-po cars but I went with DiPricol Optix and I highly recommend them over Auto-Meter. In my eyes, the only good Auto-Meter gauges are the original Pro-Comp mechanical ones...especially the liquid filled. I recommend those too but the Pricols just have the look!! This is what the black face and green lighting look like....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the Dipricol guages. So its safe to run a fuel line into the cab? Anyone else have any inputs on this? Do you smell the diesel at all like this? What are the advantages of a mechanical over electric guage, besides the price anyway? Anyone have any input on what range I need for fuel PSI on a an '02 24v?

The thing I liked best about the isspro guages that I bought from dieselmanor.com, was the fact that they came in "kit" form, with all the wires, zip ties, doodads and full instructions with pictures that were needed to install the guages. Is there any companies that do this with either auto-meter or DiPricol guages?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a 30psi fuel pressure guage
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

i would go with amechanical o-30 with fuel right to the gauge. i have had mine like this for 3 years now with no problems. all i used was regular plastic line for mine. the best thing about the isspros was there customer service. i had a problem with my tranny temp. i called them and they sent a complete gauge with wireing and sender,for free next day with no questions asked. even though my warrantee was up
Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Two years now on my cheapo 1.5" Jeg's house brand liquid filled 30psi guage.

Works flawlessly and CHEAPLY.

I previously have had the isolator and all that junk. My current setup costs 1/8th of what I previously had and works even better.

JMO
Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM

I got the whole DiPricol package from from Diesel Distributors.
http://www.dieseldistributorsusa.com...ri-p/ddgp1.htm

Overall great package for the price. Comes with the drill bit and tap for the pyro probe. The triple pillar pod needs to be tweaked and trimmed to fit nice but I think they all do. Shipping was fast and free !!

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Sounds like the extra money isnt worth it for the auto meter then. Also sounds like fuel line right to the guage is fine then huh? If I go this route I definately will be going with the ss line though. Where does a guy go about getting the ss line, how long should it be, etc? Thanks for any and all tips. Is there a good write up somewhere of a guage install on a 24v dodge? Where to tap in for FP guage, parts needed, location of egt probe, trans temp sensor, all that good stuff? Thanks again, you have all been very helpful already!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 PM

edge eliminates the "need " for gauges....although I do run 3 on the pillar as well....boost, egt and trans temp.....thinking of putting the 4 gauge pod above the mirror....gotta like the bling
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM

I have a 0-30 Isspro mechanical guage and ran a braided stainless steel line into the pillar. No problems, works perfectly.

02 2500 4x4 quad cab