Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GSK & super B tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSK & super B tuning

I had a local shop install GSK & super turbo.My main goal was to help cool things down.When I got the truck back it was a slug,low boost and 100* higher egt's.I found out the shop didn't measure the springs before the install.
When I got the truck back I set the springs to 50 thousands and slid the plate full forward to help with boost.It is much better but still not right.It seems to be a fueling problem.Could the gsk springs still be off?

My idle is set at 900 when I put it in gear it drops to 750-800

I get a puff of smoke when I put it to the mat and no smoke under a load.

Egt,s are about 25-50* higher then before I took it to the shop.

Turbo is still a little slow to boost up.

Thanks for any help
Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM

I assume you have and automatic?

If all you have for fueling mods are a #6 and 40HP BD injectors I would expect the Super B to spool a little slower. Once boost is up does the truck run and drive better?

How hot were your EGT's before. I'm guessing they could not have been that bad. I think you need more fuel.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

Your gonna have to get used to the lag. My roommate just put that on his 01 HO 6spd. He's got a comp with mach 1.5's and it takes a little bit of time to spool. At first he wasn't happy with it considering his stock HX35 spooled like crazy. It took some time to get used to. Once it hits about 15-20 psi it rockets up to 42psi and stays there. His EGT's can still hit 1400* but it takes MUCH, MUCH longer to get there and by the time they get there he is doing well over any speed limit in the country. What GSK kit did you put in? 3k or 4k? Can you rev all the way to at least 3200?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He should be at 3200 alone

with the 3K GSK... I have also read and heard that is a slow turbo, IMHO it be a nice topper for a set of twins..... with an HT3B under it..... But like any turbo once it lights, yeehaww!!

Tx
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rhino
I assume you have and automatic
How hot were your EGT's before. I'm guessing they could not have been that bad. I think you need more fuel.
Sorry it took so long to get back.Yes I have a auto.I to am thinking it is a fueling problem.My egt's are the same as before maybe a little lower under high load.The pyro prob is post turbo.I can hit 3000 rpm in no time

I am going to move the afc arm and see what happens.I was just wondering what happens when the gsk springs are not adjusted properly.

Thanks all
Old 10-14-2005, 12:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have 3K GSK that I installed myself. I didn't have any problems - just followed the instructions from Piers that came with them. I can rev with no de-fueling to 34-3500 WOT although I don't do it all that often. As to what symptoms you might get with mis-adjusted springs I'd suggest doing a search here for "GSK" and see what comes up. I'm betting you'll find the answer to your question by doing this. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 10-14-2005, 07:27 AM

You might need some laser cut delivery valves to light that new turbo up???? I have read of some guys saying that they help alot. Just an idea??

good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE
You might need some laser cut delivery valves to light that new turbo up???? I have read of some guys saying that they help alot. Just an idea??

good luck and keep us posted
I was kinda thinking the same thing.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:55 PM

have you done ur gov arm lever adjustment?...maybe ur not even hitting the plate properly...its probably just much more noticeable after the gsk install that ur off on the plate....how's ur afc adjusted?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mr T
have you done ur gov arm lever adjustment?...maybe ur not even hitting the plate properly...its probably just much more noticeable after the gsk install that ur off on the plate....how's ur afc adjusted?

I am going to move the arm this weekend and see how it does,I email piers to and asked where exactly where the arm should hit and they have not gotten back to me yet.The fuel plate and housing is full foward.I would just like to have a little bit more go on the bottom.Around 55-60 in od it is a dog with my trailer.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:53 AM

here is a link to the gov. arm adjustment...http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm
Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 PM

Thanks you all> I was wroung about the plate it is a #8 piers emailed me back the arm is hitting the bottom of the the plate.I have started to move the arm up on the plate what a pita.Got the arm half way up the the first hump then I ran out of light.I will finish it tomorro.

Why is the fuel curve so high up on the plate?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by onelugnut
Thanks you all> I was wroung about the plate it is a #8 piers emailed me back the arm is hitting the bottom of the the plate.I have started to move the arm up on the plate what a pita.Got the arm half way up the the first hump then I ran out of light.I will finish it tomorro.

Why is the fuel curve so high up on the plate?
Most plates were not designed with the hot rodder in mind. They are to put the peak hp into an rpm band that saves on drivelines both auto & manual. They especially do not work well with a GSK.

That's why you read about #0, #10, #100 for heavy performance. The #4 works well, too. You just don't read much about it anymore.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:43 PM

Update got the arm up and now it runs great.The boost gauge just flops over and pegs at 30psi.I took the wife for a ride and told her to look out the window then mashed the throtle.She saw the smoke and thought the truck was broken(LOL)