Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Greater Fuel Capicity

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greater Fuel Capicity

Been looking to carry a little more fuel for long trips....

What have you done? Pictures are always great!!!!!

I've thought about both a bigger under bed tank and a in bed tank..... but open to all suggestions.....
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Deezee brand toolbox/transfer tank. Holds 37 gallons. I've got it plumbed from the drain valve on bottom to a quarter-turn manual ball valve. I then put an electric valve underneath that, with the hose tied into the top of the fuel canister. Just a gravity feed system and will overfill if you just let it run, which is why I put the electric valve in. I've got it wired off the ignition with a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off and when the ignition is off, it shuts the valve. I'll try to get some pictures here in a bit for ya.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Chapter President

any luck with those pictures?

I've been looking into this a little more and I'd really like to know what all of you know/think about this before diving in......
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm planning on adding a tank like this ( http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku ) under the bed where the spare used to go. I plan on plumbing it from the bottom of the tank to a bung in the bottom of the OEM tank and the vent tube up to the top of the OEM tank. If I mount the tank roughly in the middle of the height of the OEM tank it should fill and drain along with the OEM tank. An extra 16 gallons will give me over 900 miles range. That's the theory, anyway....
Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 AM

titan tanks makes a replacement under bed tank. i thought about one just havent done it yet

http://www.titanfueltanks.com/
Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Yeah, the price is a little too much for me, though....
Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
Yeah, the price is a little too much for me, though....
Especially when comparing the amount of fuel you add and the cost....
Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Transfer flow makes a under truck tank too. i just took a tank off a junk mitsu box truck and threw it in the back for an instant 50 extra gallons. its square in shape. left the "L" brackets on and just unbolted it from the frame. plumbed it so i can tank it on when every i want(quick disconnect.) used my old holly blue with a electric solenoid valve as a stop valve to prevent flow when not wanted. hardest part was finding a stupid gas cap for it
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Sorry, I got the pictures and then forgot all about getting them posted. PM me if you have any questions on the setup if you want.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM

I went with an RDS toolbox/tank combo that carries 60 gallons. I'm very pleased with it!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM

I just found an RDS tank that's 26 gallons for $205. It should fit under the bed. http://onlinemarine.com/rds_26_gallo...fuel_tank.html I'm still dreaming and thinking.... OldDodgeOwner: exactly how is that spare working out for ya.... (humor)....
Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Being a LB, you sure have more tank options than us SB guys. A bit of advice from a local welding shop...don't bolt the tank down so tight that it can't move with the flexing of the truck bed. Doing so causes stress cracks and leakage, so put some flat, rubber material under the mounting points to give it some relief. It works like a charm.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gator_grabber
Being a LB, you sure have more tank options than us SB guys. A bit of advice from a local welding shop...don't bolt the tank down so tight that it can't move with the flexing of the truck bed. Doing so causes stress cracks and leakage, so put some flat, rubber material under the mounting points to give it some relief. It works like a charm.
Very good point!
I found a 100gal (craigslist) LongBed "L" style saddle tank had it "shortened" to fit my SB. Fuel flows per D.O.T. regulation from aux tank to on/off ball valve gravity fed into factory tank. After the mod it's now 70gal leaving me w/total fuel capacity of about 95gal and travel range of about 1500mi w/out stopping. As if I could drive that long w/out stopping...LOL. Even after the mod it's way more than paid for itself when diesel was $4 and Mexico fuel was $2. Only bad part is that w/the tank and my tool box I have an even smaller bed.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
I just found an RDS tank that's 26 gallons for $205. It should fit under the bed. http://onlinemarine.com/rds_26_gallo...fuel_tank.html I'm still dreaming and thinking.... OldDodgeOwner: exactly how is that spare working out for ya.... (humor)....
Actually, pretty well as it wasn't mine for once...lol

I didn't use rubber underneath, but my tank isn't actually mounted to the bed. The toolbox on front is mounted solid. The tank is just sitting on the bed with tabs attaching it to the toolbox. With the aluminum tabs I figured it would flex enough so I didn't use rubber. Been on there 2 years and no leaks so far...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 PM

That sounds like a good solution, too. What doesn't give a little, breaks off and moves a lot!

Quick Reply: Greater Fuel Capicity