Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Great New Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great New Transmission

I would first like to say a special thanks to stephan at dtt and all the dtt people that helped me finally get a great tranny under this thing. I wanted to make sure i got this thing running where i wanted before i came on and posted but I have to say that this thing is just dead on. I also have to say thanks to Kevin and the rest of the guys at Modesto Transmission for putting it together and helping me out with all the bad luck that i have had to deal with. I highy recommend to anyone that is looking for a local tranny shop to go to to put a tranny in for you to go to modesto transmission. theay have abeen a great help and i couldn't have asked for better customer service. I had never brought a truck or car there so this was the 1st time i had ever even met them and they were wonderful people. They even helped me out with things a couple of times on saturdays when they are not even open. So Thanks to them. I had to deal with a tranny shop from stockton (B and H transmission) that never stood by there work and didn't even know how to build a tranny. then when i got it back they left parts out of it and they even tried to sell me the same exact parts as the ones i originally blew up when they were only in my truck for 27,000 miles. and in those 27,000 miles it was in there shop 6 times for repairs including input shaft, cluthes, they didn't even change out a bad set of planetary gears that had been warn down from the thrust washer, they just threw in another thrust washer with all the little metal chunks still on the underside of it. my truck was down from june 28 until last week monday because of that tranny shop. and last year it took them 5 weeks to install an input shaft from dtt. that is ridiculous. Now that i have this new tranny from DTT i have to say i have never put so much power to the ground and the tourque converter is just Bad *** compared to the other one i was running. So i highly recommend both DTT and Modesto Tranmssion. Both of them have great customer service and i would be more than happy to reccomend them to whoever asks me. Thanks guys.

Alex Bergwerff
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear the good report!

No doubt having the truck back together with that sweet trans makes the frustration fade into the past!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 PM

hahaha yeah i have had about as bad of luck as it gets in the past few months. so bad that i couldn't get mad anymore i could just look and laugh. in the last week of april i had the dowel pin shoot out so it was down for a while to fix it. then it went int the paint shop for 5 weeks they had issues with the paint so it took a while. then I had transmission issues until last week. so i have a grand total of 250 miles or so on it in the past 4 or 5 months. only thing thats good about that is I don't have to fill up with fuel all the time. hahaha. but now its good and running. but word of advice to anyone do not go to B and H transmission at all. I have seen other people post about them being dealers for suncoast so watch out about that.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by A97dodge4x4
only thing thats good about that is I don't have to fill up with fuel all the time. hahaha.
That's the spirit!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 PM

i know how you feel....my transmissions woes got to the point that i just got rid of the truck.....i found out that even if you have the best warranties in the world,if you get caught between a pissing match on whos at fault,parts maker or parts installer,,you have no warranty in reality,nor a truck.........so stick with a company,that makes,sells and installs thier own stuff,and maybe you can avoid alot of headaches.......................bama
Old 08-30-2007, 09:18 PM

Hey Alex, what type of tranny upgrades did you have done in addition to the TC? I am looking to upgrade in a few months. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM

I already had a billit input shaft from DTT but i also did a valve body, TC of course, and heavy duty rebuild kit from DTT. I also bought the valve body installation kit and instead of ATF +4 I am runing a synthetic oil from CAT. Ask around about it it's expensive but it works great. I also got new planetary gears and a new drum too. If you have the money then get a tranny with all billit parts it will save you a major headache. O and if you are thinking of running a lot of power you may want to look into getting an aftermarket flexplate too. I highly suggest DTT though i have seen about 5 different types of trucks, from drag racers to all out pullers, with their trannies and I have never been dissapointed by what i saw or even felt when i drove them. if you need any help with anything else just let me know.

Alex.

I was about as close as i could get to selling that truck but it's just hard to part with it. hahahaha
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 PM

What year of truck do you have gannetpeak1 and is it 2wd or 4wd? What mods do you have on it?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by A97dodge4x4
What year of truck do you have gannetpeak1 and is it 2wd or 4wd? What mods do you have on it?
I have a 2002 4X4 dually w/ 45K miles. I haven't done much in the way of mods. I have a high capacity Mag Hi-Tech rear diff cover and an AFE Pro Guard 7 intake. I also replaced the stock 190 F T-stat with a Cummins 180 F T-stat due to the high Arizona temperature. I haven't done anything else because I still have 2 years of warranty left, and I did not want to do anything to jeopardize that. Also, I figure it will take about 10K to do the modifications that I am interested in. Truck is paid for. I am evaluating whether I want to do the modifications or buy a new truck in a couple of years. I haul a Lance 10 ft cabover camper (3500 lbs) and tow a 14 ft aluminum Sea Nymph boat when I head up to the Az high country.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:01 AM

Thats sounds like a nice truck. I know most people want to sell those trucks because of not having enough room issues. but i honestly love the 02. I have love four wheel disc brakes and the 24 valve engine even though people have issues with the injection pump. my brother has a 1999 24v with a drag comp, smarty and bullydog 5,s 2wd so i got the best of both worlds with a 12v and a 24v. hahaha but I personally wouldn't get rid of that truck but the new 6.7L are actually pretty nice if your looking at a new cummins ever. I test drove 1 about a week ago and I have drove the new Dmax and 6.4 powerstroke and I like the cummins the best with the new 6 speed auto. but if you ever want to do tranny upgrades on that I have driven a 1999 24 valve 4wd with a DTT full billit tranny and it shifts hard but it puts the power to the ground. Call up there and Stephan will help you out building it however you want to. he can tell you how to build it for mild upgrades or even a lot of power. it all depends on what you plan to do with it. but they have great customer service and have not let me down. If you ever look at doing a small chip or mod look at the smarty I think you would be pleased with that chip it works great and from what i have been told, I don't know for sure, its untraceable by the dealerships once you take it off. Thanks

Alex B.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 AM

I'm glad to hear about another good tranny shop in the central valley area. I'm in Sac. I've been planning on heading down to Brown's Diesel just outside of Fresno for mine. I want to get a Goerend, and Goerend endorses them. I've had great luck so far with Richard and his brother Erick down there---the consistently have better prices on performance parts than I can find online. Fresno Performance is a great place to do business with--Erick's shop--as is Brown's.