Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GPS Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an old Garmin Street Pilot. I have been using it for the last 3 years...and i dont know what i would do without it! I dont even look at my speedo anymore. It makes travle LOTS easier...and the newer ones have color screens and talk as well.....mine does just fine for me and it was cheap on eBay. I got it 3 years ago for $300.00. That also included the computer link cable, 64 MB Card and Roadmap software for the entire US. Workes great!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:14 PM

Mudinford

I am glad you like your system. I am still trying to justify the 1068 I paid at Sam's for the 700. You would think for that price they would have included the 18.00 carring case......

The 700 works great, have three user settings - user01 - user 03 which allows seperate address books and old destinations. I have found the unit extremely accurate. It even has the roads in the RV Park where I am staying.

Thanks again for the i nfo.

Cheers frank
Old 01-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I have been using ALK's co-pilot on a Dell laptop for years. It talkes to me, accepts some voice commands, and when I miss a turn, or make a detour itquickly re calculates. Has lots of options to display. Speed, elevation, current road, next turn, and others.
It also has an RV option. This avoids tight KMA turns, and routes an RV would find challanging.
If I want to avoid an area, town, or what ever, I put in a waypoint that is on the route I want to be on.
Also I can close a road. ie, North Cascades hwy is closed for the winter at MP 137. I just make that road "avoid"
The new version "laptop 8 also shows low clearance for RV's " I think it is 12'6" or less.
run the laptop off a lighter plugin for power.
Using a laptop, can preplan, save routes, and it also figures fuel usage and cost when mpg and $$$ is put in the options.
Hope this gives you more to chose from.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:54 PM

hi guys, i have been considering a GPS system for myself, and the ATV,s possibly, but the atv use is not a major selling point, can you tell me what i would be looking to spend? I wouldnt mind if it had to be hooked up to a laptop either.
Ryan
Old 01-02-2005, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Rganser
hi guys, i have been considering a GPS system for myself, and the ATV,s possibly, but the atv use is not a major selling point, can you tell me what i would be looking to spend? I wouldnt mind if it had to be hooked up to a laptop either.
Ryan
Ryan,
For ATV use, I would stay away from a PDA GPS solution, as a PDA is not ruggedized. I would look at handhelds from Garmin and Magellan. Most GPS's can be hooked to a laptop via a USB cable (newer GPS units) or serial cable (older GPS units). You can also buy Bluetooth GPS receivers that can wirelessly connect to a laptop, but that would not give you an ATV option (not a must, according to your post).
Here is a link to a decent GPS site that sells all kinds of units: GPS CITY

Good luck,
~Rob
Old 01-04-2005, 01:13 PM

dssimecek

Thank you for the info. I checked out their web site and product. Looks excellent.

I have a notebook and GPS with other s/w but decided against trying to use it in then truck. Small dog, wife etc....

I bought the Magellen 700 RoadMate. It works well but is missing some provinces in Canada - regards of their advetising stating that they cover Canada. It has tried to take me down a few roads that only a 4 wheelers should go but other than that, it is a great augment to other maps. It works great in major cities.

I like the height clearance feature of ATV. I nearly got caught in Kansas - got down to 11 1/2 feet. .

Thanks again for the info.
Cheers from very W E T Az.

Frank