Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Governor Lever Arm Adjusment

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Governor Lever Arm Adjusment

ey guys. I need to adjust the Governor Ar on my truck, because when i put my GSK in, i think it messed up how that was, and i lost a bunch of power. I know how to do it,but if you guys have any tips i'd appreciate it. How do you take the back cover off? It looks like it takes a flathead screwdriver, but looks like there isnt any room to work hardly. Also, which way raises it, and which lowers it? The arm was a little ways under the tip on the bottom of the plate, so i think it needs to be moved up some. Thanks

Eric
Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 AM

have you pyshically looked at it to see if its riding under the plate yet?

Take your AFC housing off, turn the ignition key to the on position, pull the shutoff solenoid up manually, and reach down to the throttle linkage and slowly move it forward to see where you Gov. arm is riding.

KEY and SOLENOID details are a MUST as the Gov. lever will just tap the plate and spring back out of sight if the solenoid arm is not in the up position.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Yes. I did that with the solenoid up, and the throttle lever where it should be. Its not riding completley under the plate, its just not on the tip of the bottom edge like it says it should be, so i was thinking that was the problem. Does the GSK change where the governor arm hits the fuel plate? It ran great before with that plate, then when i put the GSk in, it was a dog with the TC locked. Not much better than stock probably. Ive got my friends cut plate in it now(its a #0 i guess), and i can get all my power back, but if i set it that far forward EGT's get hot with the TC unlocked, and i dont like that. If i lock the TC, it keeps it out of the high rpm's, and EGT's are fine but they were fine all the time before the plate swap. Any help appreciated.

Eric
Old 11-15-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long did the 3K kit take to install?
Old 11-15-2004, 04:03 PM

Im 17, and it took me about 3 hours to do everything, including adjusting the idle when i got done, and putting up the tools. Did it all by myself. I strongly reccomend going through the side of the pump if you do it, It seems a lot easier because you can get to it with your hands, but if you go through the top, there is more of a chance of dropping stuff down in the pump, and having to fish it out. The GSk really made my truck a lot more driveable. The tranny shifts a LOT better now too. Before i could only run 63mph in 3rd gear, and now it will run 80, and pull past 3k rpm's.Good luck

Eric
Old 11-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Yes the gov. springs can change where the lever arm contacts the plate. You can find instructions for adjusting it on Peirs website. One tip I have heard is to use a deep socket to loosen the jab nut and then leave the socket in place to act like a guide for your screwdriver, since you can't really see what you are doing. That's all I know, goodluck, Darl
Old 11-15-2004, 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the help. Ill hopefully be doing this Wednesday, so any more tips appreciated. Also, do you guys think a #10 full forward would make good power in my truck, with decent EGT's?Thanks

Eric
Old 11-15-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
www.piersdiesel.com

he has the instructions on there.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Adjusted it for my old plate, and put it back in, and she'll scat again now The EGT's will fly up, but it sure does have the power again. Also, at first i forgot to tighten the locknut, and put it all back together, and then remembered after i ran it about 10 minutes(mostley idling). Would it hurt anything if it came off? I tightened it up, but it shouldnt have hurt anything because it stayed on the bolt right? Thanks a lot.

Eric