Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Governer Spring issues and a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Governer Spring issues and a question

Guys,

In order to stop, reduce, or eliminate the surging that is caused by my g springs, i had dramatically loosened my governer springs in hopes of stopping the surgings. Low and behold, much to my surprise it worked well, as did going back with the 181 DV's

Over the past few days, Ive removed my afc a few times already to retighten my governer springs. At first i noticed super sluggish acceleration, and a very unsteady idle. I would idle at lets say 750 or so with the AC on, then it would go up to about 900 or so. I thought nothing of it, but then when my truck would start to turn off, when id lay off the throttle at a higher RPM i started to worry. I tightened my g springs three clicks and it was done for a little while.. However, thistime the rpms would fluctuate at about 100 rpms, (AC at 750 and 850 without ac) and again the idle dropped all of a sudden..

I went back a third time and retightened these things two clicks while the idle was still low and it went back up to about 650 or so with AC on... without the adjustment of the idle. then i cut off the truck and readjusted the idle a few minutes later up to about 750 with the AC off, then it struck me as strange that the idle dropped only 50 rpms or so with the AC on...

This leads me to ask, i have trouble gettin a measurement so im goin two clicks at a time to get these things right...

Just how much should a properly adjusted GSK drop in rpms when the AC is turned on? does mine seem about correct?

Secondly, what would cause the sudden drop in RPMS all of a sudden that i was experiencing? Was it merely the loose g springs?

Finally, does my gsk sound about properly adjusted and if so will this stop that sudden drop? Before i had it a bit too tight and it just seems that my measurements were off, so i decided to just try the click adjust method,

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks for reading

Rick
Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went from a 3K to a 4K. From when the threads on the keeper caught on the govenor stud, it took 6 3/4 turns to get it back into proper adjustment. It can be also measured as 7/32" from the top of the stud to the slot in the keeper.
This is 3 "clicks" past stock adjustment
50 RPMs sounds right turning on A/C.
After going the 3 clicks past stock I had to adjust my idle down about 275 rpm's
Be sure you have all the shims out from the springs. I ran a pencil magnet along the stud down to the govenor to make sure there werent any left in there.

Good luck, Jim
Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dshiftff
Just went from a 3K to a 4K. From when the threads on the keeper caught on the govenor stud, it took 6 3/4 turns to get it back into proper adjustment. It can be also measured as 7/32" from the top of the stud to the slot in the keeper.
This is 3 "clicks" past stock adjustment
50 RPMs sounds right turning on A/C.
After going the 3 clicks past stock I had to adjust my idle down about 275 rpm's
Be sure you have all the shims out from the springs. I ran a pencil magnet along the stud down to the govenor to make sure there werent any left in there.

Good luck, Jim
thanks for the reply jim

all of the shims were pulled out. I just could never seem to get the measurements right which is part of the reason i loosened the heck outta the springs, then the other was to stop my surging.

I hadnt started the truck in about 3.5 hours, and the temperature is cooler right now, and well now my idle is back up again, and drops about 100 rpms again.. This afternoon around 6:30 or so down here it was idling at about 700 with AC on,now with a cooler temp and truck sitting longer it idles at almost 900 or so and drops to about 800 with AC on..

I still dont understand why I cannot get it right, I just dont want the sudden drop to occur this time, ive killed the surge on the truck, Simply said, I just dont wanna deal with taking this thing apart every other day to get it right.... and readjust it...

ID be happy if it would stay RIGHT where its at, but usually its not the case with my luck...

Thanks again Jim (and everyone else who replies)

Rick