Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

gotta love sound deadener!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
don't worry, we're not licking it as we cruise down the road! LOL!

(it's harmless in this capacity)

Forrest
OK....if your posts get any stranger at least I will know what happened...
Old 10-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
don't worry, we're not licking it as we cruise down the road! LOL!

(it's harmless in this capacity)

Forrest
If you find yourself suddenly wanting to trade in for a Ford,
seek medical help immediately.

phox
Old 10-31-2004, 11:38 PM

I got my shop roll of brown bread from http://www.b-quiet.com/

good service and decent price

this looks interesting http://www.b-quiet.com/lcomp.html
Old 10-31-2004, 11:58 PM

Wow that Lcomp stuff is really expensive, ~$9/sqft.

There is some FatMat stuff and some of B-quiets cheaper stuff on eBay for ~$1/sqft but unless I see some numbers I'm not impressed. The B-quiet stuff was a good deal less performance than their Brown Bread is.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Banned

FatMat looks really good... brown bread is a little better, but fatmat is considerably cheaper... but something about the $18 flat rate shipping on a $49 item just rubs me the wrong way... don't try to bait/switch me with high shipping rates, I ain't falling for it.

I'm calling GSI later this morning. They have a 62 mil asphalt sound deadener that they list for ~$2/sq ft. and I believe they offer a 15% discount to TDR members. going to call them and get more info on it.

Forrest
Old 11-01-2004, 09:12 AM

Yea I hate it when they do that, I was looking at their 100sq ft version with shipping it'd be more like $1.30/sq ft. The same thing goes for this B-quiet, $1.25/sq ft. The one I'm actually trying to find though this stuff for $1.08/sq ft shipped. But like I was saying earlier I'd like to see some numbers on this stuff before getting it.

IIRC a few people on TDR were finding the deadener cheaper outside of GSI even with the discount, but maybe it was a different deadening product?!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what the specs on it are, but you might check out a product called "Peal & Seal" it's an asphault tape/sheet with adhesive on one side and foil on the other. it's used in roofing. not sure what the thickness is, but it's CHEAP, and it's pretty much all the same stuff when it comes to that type of stuff, the main difference is the thickness. it used to be available at Home Depot, but the ones around here don't carry it anymore. it's used in roofing.

JCWhitney carries the GSI foam, but only in 1/2"... I need 1/4" for the roof. I ordered some 1/4 closed cell sound stop foam w/ barrier from GSI today... not cheap, but supposed to be the top of the line. just hope that liquid nails holds! the lead was free... this stuff WASN'T!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned

oh yeah, Don gave me a 15% TDR discount, and he said that with the lead on there, the asphalt stuff wouldn't really net me that much more deadener... I was going to lay the asphalt on the lead and the sound stop foam over that. he said the asphalt was overkill, but the soundstop would be noticable.

Forrest
Old 11-01-2004, 09:37 PM

Dang How thick is your roof
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Banned

well, I will have added 5/16" of material to the underside of it, but Don said if the foam barier was compressed by the headliner board that it wouldn't effect the sound stopping abilities.

Forrest
Old 11-02-2004, 07:25 AM

So what would be the best sound deadener out there for the price. I plan on doing the whole inside of my truck. I wont have stacks I dont think. It will be a 4" System with a Fake Cat and Muff. with Dual 5" Tailpipes. Also I am putting a very nice stereo in my truck and reall want it to sound awesome. I was looking at dynamat but it looks really expensive for what you get. Where can I get this lead sheet from and how thick should it be? And then could I just line the cab with it then put the foam overtop of that? Thanks for the info guys.

-Jared
Old 11-02-2004, 01:40 PM

If there were only a simple answer for that question we'd all have it... when time comes I think I'll just try to get some of the cheaper FatMat stuff on eBay, buy like 200sq ft of it and see how that does. That stuff states that when you double it up you triple the effectivness. I'd count on doubling (or even tripling) up the bottom rear corners of the cab and probably doubling up where the exhaust is located beneath the cab. It seems like the only other flagrant spots are outside of the cab, like the hood seal, cowl, oil pan, and valve cover('s cover).

At the moment the only sound deadening I've tried is using some 10lb carpet padding under my carpet in the MB, it didn't make a noticeable difference. A friend of mine used a little dynamat and some of this polyfill like stuff but they came in sheets and I was astonished by how well it worked. I thought he was completely wasting his time and money with that polyfill stuff but it made a big difference.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Banned

I put dynamat on the back wall of mine and it helped a lot. It's also on my roof. That didn't help as much, but it made it quit rattling when my subs hit. I'll probably get some brown bread and double up on the back wall and roof and do one layer on the doors and floor.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:52 PM

I'd definetly do the doors because it'd stop any rattling from the door pads plus it gives it that solid sound like mercedes have when you close the doors. Take a guess how mercedes made theirs sound solid? Yup sound deadener on the doorskin.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned

don't use dynamat... it's overpriced... all of those asphalt based sound deadeners are pretty much the same, it's just a matter of whose name is on it and how thick it is.

I think FatMat is probably the best deal out there per square foot, but I'd also give a hard look at the dampener that GSI is selling. I can't remember how thick both of them are, but they're probably similar... GSI lists theirs at $2/sqft, but offer a 15% discount to TDR members.

if you want to kill as much as you can, go w/ the asphalt deadener, and then use the GSI soundstop foam. if you want the bang for the buck, I'd probably use asphalt, double up on the back wall of the cab and maybe the floor under the seat.

sound deadener makes a HUGE difference... when I originally installed my 5" straight pipe system, it droned and resonated so bad, it was just unbearable... from 1500-2000rpm it was annoying... from 2000-2400 it was pretty painful... at 2500rpm there was a resonance that would split your friggin' eardrums. it was HORRIBLE!!!

I added two layers of 1/16" lead sheet to the back wall of the cab and to the floor under the seat and then a 1/16" layer on the rest of the floor, firewall, behind the dash, etc. NIGHT AND DAY!!!

before I added the lead sheet, I had a 27" long, 7" diameter muffler on, and the resonance inside was worse than later when I had the truck straight piped but had all the sound deadener!!!

now, after the stacks, that sound was just bouncing right off the roof, so I'm now focusing on the roof...

I think if I would have done the roof before, I might have fallen asleep at the wheel w/ the 5" straight pipe!

I think the roof makes a nice difference even with the exhaust run under the truck, but a single layer should be fine... w/ stacks, you may want/need more!

Quick Reply: gotta love sound deadener!!!