Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gotta love the double deep tranny pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta love the double deep tranny pan

Last year I bought a double deep tranny pan for fun. Figure I wouldn't notice much difference in temps and what not but liked it because of the added piece of mind. Well, after nearly a year of owning it I've grown to love it and here's why.

I do mainly city driving so my tranny has a lot of time to heat up. Before the DD I could hit 200-210 pretty easily. Now, I can't hardly get it over 190 no matter how hard I try. I also pull a 2-3000lb trailer during august for work. Again, a lot of city driving. Close to 100 miles a day in stop and go traffic on 100*+ days. Even with the smarty on 5 and the TST on 4 (424hp) I could only manage to get the tranny up to 180-190*. Where as before with just a comp on 1x2 or turned off I could hit 220* like it was nothing. Back in february I went and did some 4 wheeling with the truck. Lots of low speed, high rpm manuvering. Stuff that should have gotten the tranny nice and hot. I could still only hit 180-190*.

The only reason I didn't post this sooner was because I wanted to make sure I was noticing a difference and not a one time thing. After seeing the dramatic drops in temperatures, I'm a firm believer that having more fluid is better in helping keep the tranny alive and running at it's best. I have my probe in the factory replacement line so it's reading the temp of the fluid coming right off of the converter which is the hottest and where I think it should be drawn.

I just thought I'd post this up there for those who are on the fence about whether or not they work. I can't say for certain if it added any life to my stock tranny but it definately didn't take any off.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 AM
RJF

Where you really gain is with a good converter. Hottest I ever saw was about 186* pulling 10K through town on a hot summer day. I have the stock cooling system and stock pan. On saturday I was at the dragstrip, there were only a handfull of trucks and I made 6 passes in about 1 hour, it was 106* ambient temp, I hit 184*. I plan on adding the double deep when I change my oil in about 18 months. Also, I run Amsoil synthetic ATF, that probably helps keep the temps in check too.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RJF
Where you really gain is with a good converter. Hottest I ever saw was about 186* pulling 10K through town on a hot summer day. I have the stock cooling system and stock pan. On saturday I was at the dragstrip, there were only a handfull of trucks and I made 6 passes in about 1 hour, it was 106* ambient temp, I hit 184*. I plan on adding the double deep when I change my oil in about 18 months. Also, I run Amsoil synthetic ATF, that probably helps keep the temps in check too.
I agree. It's nice to have a deeper pan that better handles high temps, but it's MUCH BETTER to not have the heat problem to begin with!

The only real advantage to a huge capacity with a decent trans setup is that you can go a LONG time between changes-- 50K-80K miles easily.

Heck, if I had a tight DTT converter and full trans, I'd go 100K on a trans fluid change with a DD pan.

The downside to the DD pan is that changes get a lot more expensive
Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Banned

Well, seeing as how I still have a stock TC, I'm just trying to keep it cool. Come september though I won't have that problem.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's all sing now-- "Happy Times are here again"

At least in Sept, they will be
Old 07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Banned

Hopefully. Just gotta make it through the busy season and then I'll be a happy camper. Who knows. Maybe I'll have enough left over for an extra turbo.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Did you get the Mag-Hytec or the other one. I can't remember the name of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Mag-Hytec.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:26 PM

I love mine. Very stout piece but pricey. My temps hover around 180 in traffic in this wonderful heat.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Let's all sing now-- "Happy Times are here again"

At least in Sept, they will be
Hohn,

Maybe you can brake out that Guitar and new amp for some backup?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 PM

I love my DD pan, as stated earlier traffice bumper to bumper stop and go aprox. 180 degrees.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue
I think you can attribute your lower temps more to your VB than your pan (I am assuming you did the two at the same time?) not that your pan isnt helping but your stock VB probably leaked by half the fluid your DTT does. Had you installed a tight converter without that VB wheeling at slow speeds (no lock-up) would = a flame thrower that no coolers would control ask me how I know Even with the VB mods that were done to my first trans with a tight TC I needed a fan mounted cooler (biggest B&M unit) under the bed, and I meen hot (250 outlet line) it was insane how quickly it would get hot. I have learned from the last two trans there is a world of difference in builders and that they are not all the same. The tighter the converter the more cooling flow needed so your stock converter (60-65%)with a DTT VB probably doesent need much of a cooler however with a 89+ efficency TC you will have more heat to deal with. This is just my experience to date stock/TCS/and a BD Tow Master? I wont have my DTT trans installed untill Sept to confirm but I'm sure if I'm way off here I will get flamed on.
PuttingmyNomexsuitonRatsun
Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Banned

I did them about a week apart from each other and the VB helped a little. Maybe 10*. But it still got rather warm rather quickly. The DD put an end to that. I'll let you know how the DTT works out in sept.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
The Guru

bigblue, I'm suprise your temps are so hi. The highest that I've seen has been 180 deg's, towing a 10k trailer. I have the stock cooler and I have a deep pan. Where are you taking your temperature measurement at? Typically mine runs at 140-160 deg's.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Ratsun is dead on. I've got the single deep, and the only time my temps go up is in traffic.. but they stop at 210-220 in 95° heat. Won't go higher.

Once I'm rolling though, everything cools right off. A tight convertor really tears at the fluid... but it's worth it.

Oh, backing a trailer, I use 2low.. REALLY helps the temps.

Quick Reply: Gotta love the double deep tranny pan