Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Got pulled over last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that's BS, that stacks are illegal. Heck, the old dodge little red wagon had stacks. Our trucks, stacked and straight piped are quieter that those harley's and harley wanna-bes with theire straight pipes. Not to mention the lady down the srtreet that looks like she takes a bath once a month and her 4 banger POS with the exhaust dragging the ground. I think some of these cops need more donut shop in their area!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by MasseyMan1089
The cop told me that stacks are now illegal. I'm going to go to the courthouse and get a copy of that law, just so I can read it myself, and see how I can become "legal" again...
there is NO WAY that they can make stacks illegal, all the big trucks use them from the factory. they are actually better because the smoke/ sound is directed up and away from the ground.
I am suprised I haven't gotten a ticket with mine since I have a 5" straight exhaust with stacks and it is pretty loud when I get on it. My dad was following me 2 cars back in his mufflerless stacked '02 and could hear mine over his when I got on it to pass a car.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Uhhhhh, this is Virginia state vehicle law.
I'm sure your state has a similar one.

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

Dodge didn't offer stacks as a factory option on your truck, did they?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:33 PM

I just straight piped my truck two days ago.. at idle and cruise you cant even tell any difference in noise, even with the windows down.

Accellerating, yah, its louder, but have some common sense and dont "get on it" all the time. have some moderation.

My defense if i ever get pulled over is the fact that a Neon SRT-4 never came from the factory with a muffler so why do i need one? like thatll go over smoothly.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Yeah, thats a bunch of bull crap. Ill admit my truck is fairy loud, but if i ever got pulled over for it, i would definatley find a way to get by with it... I dont think my truck came factory with a cattalytic converter anyway, and if a turbo is considered a muffling devise, then im good to go

Eric
Old 10-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Uhhhhh, this is Virginia state vehicle law.
I'm sure your state has a similar one.

Dodge didn't offer stacks as a factory option on your truck, did they?
Been there fought that battle too. If they enforce stacks, the need to enfoce the twice pipe trucks and ricers with loud muffinns as well. This one goon is selecting me cause he can see mine easily and my sons got the same ticket. There is a STOPPED FOR STACKS thread on here somewhere but I'm too tired to look it up right now.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I agree Joel, I think the aftermarket exhaust rules are only enforced when someone either brings attention to themselves, or (in your case) when the cop is having a baaaad day and is looking for an excuse to harass someone.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

i can only wait to get pulled over for driving the gf's truck. i straight piped it a few months ago. she was pretty P.O.'d at first but now she loves it. when i went to the muffler shop i told the guy to just take the muffler off and leave the resignator (or whatever it is on an 00'). He told me he'll take them both off, cause it's legal in TX to have no type of muffler or anything on a turbo diesel. I made sure he was positive because I still need it to pass inspection. He was licenced to do inspection in TX so I believe'm. I love the sound of it over my $1000 Bank$$ system. I can't believe *EDIT* have to spend their time harassing good citizens when i'm sure there's plenty of meth labs and crack dealers that need to arrested and put under the jail. It's all a money scam if you ask me. I'm gonna have to spend about $4k to get out of some b.s. trouble in Williamson county, but I don't want to get on my soap box.

just my .35

have a nice day.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by oestreich84
My warning said " faulty exhaust system" I told him that it was only a couple months old and that it isnt even that loud (compared to stacks) Then he looked under my truck and told me that he would have to issue me a citation for removing the kitty. When I told him that my truck didnt come with one he laughed for a minute and said "really" We ended up talking for about 15 minutes and that is why I only got a warning. Did I forget to mention that I left about a hundred yards of black mark ( I really need a anti spin diff) I will post the video that my friend got asap. Its pretty funny.
You guys need to the read up on required equipment, well in MN and WI. We are required to run an exhaust and muffler. Then you have to go and define muffler, guess what?, the turbo is considered a muffler!, if you wanted to you could turn the down pipe to a "up pipe" and send it out the hood. Ya you would get hassled, but your exhaust still has a muffler...........put the 5 back on, keep it cool around college town and enjoy.........later Jim.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll deff. fill you in on what I find out about the law in Kentucky, or more specifally Clark County Kentucky.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 PM

yeah if you find something out about Ky let us know. There are quite a few diesels around here, so the cops dont seem to bother us, but i hope it stays that way. Are you in KY right now Matt(PM me if you want)?

Eric
Old 10-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are alot of diesels, mostly Cummins and he said they are becomming a problem. He said they are even too loud stock!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:27 PM

I love my loud truck and would never change it to satisfy the local Barney F. LOUD, FAST AND LOTS OF BLACK SMOKE!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM

thanks for the nice comments about police officers

"I can't believe <edit> have to spend their time harassing good citizens when i'm sure there's plenty of meth labs and crack dealers that need to arrested and put under the jail. "

Believe it or not most arrests come from traffic stops.. Guns, Drugs and numerous other things are found during trafic stops. 1 out of 20 drivers probably don't have drivers licenses, are drunk or have warrants for their arrests.

KIPO, Just remember those comments when someone is breaking into your house or you need help... With an attitude like that I am suprised that they didn't impound your truck.

I guess next you will say it is ok to rob a bank... The laws are there, if you don't like them break them just be man enough to stand up and take the punishment (ticket) rather than cry about it.

Guess I just wat to say Thanks to all the Police and Fire Fighters here that make our lives safer and that all of us don't have the same feelings as KIPO.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:42 PM

the turbo is considered a muffler!, if you wanted to you could turn the down pipe to a "up pipe" and send it out the hood
Are there any disadvantages?

305.20 Exhaust and Air Pollution Control System
(1) Exhaust system does not function properly 347.39(1) 3600 IM
(2) Flex-tubing used in exhaust system
(3) No heat shield or protection on exposed exhaust system parts outside vehicle
bodyline
(4) Improper repair of exhaust system 347.39(2) 3600 IM
(5) Tail pipe does not extend beyond passenger compartment
(6) Exhaust system modified to pass through passenger compartment
(7) Required air pollution control equipment not installed, removed,
disconnected, or altered
(8) Air pollution control equipment does not function
This was taken directly from the website below. It has a lot of info on state laws that might surprise you. It is basically a check list of things that you can get a citation for. Did you know that you can not legally run more than 4 inches of lift on a vehicle in Wisconsin?

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...violations.pdf

Quick Reply: Got pulled over last night