Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Got pulled over last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got pulled over last night

Officer friendly gave me a written warning that would have turned into a fine if I didnt change my exhaust so it was quieter. So I had to put my stock exhaust back on today and go down to the police station to get it inspected . I guess I never realized how much louder a 5 inch straight pipe is compared to a 3 inch straight pipe. I miss my 5 inch already and I've only put about 15 miles on it. O yea, my egt's went up about 200*. Turbo whistle is a lot quieter, and the response is slower. When I am driving through town now, people dont turn around to see what is coming. I am so sad.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:59 PM

I thought that most exhuast violations were not moving violations that affect your drivers license? I would have mailed in the fine. I did put a muffler back on my truck instead of the straight pipe though.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That sucks man, I havent been pulled over yet. Now that you have had your exhaust inspected, put your 5" back on, I would do that right after I left the police station.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned

No kidding. I don't think I could live without my 4". It just sounds so perfect.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:45 PM

A 54" long straight through muffler is around $60 at local NAPA store. The 4" version is about the same.
I tried straight pipe, but didn't like the cab noise. Running a single Allied muffler in stock location and soon to add another further forward to kill the drone.

One of the local officer friendly drives a Ford PS. Used to have a Dodge CTD. The rest just wave at me.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:47 PM

I bought a Dynaflex resonator for my truck. 5" in/out. Straight thru design. Takes the edge off. ~$50. Bought mine from www.iowa80.com Last I looked, it wasn't on the site, but they had it in the store at the truckstop.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:03 PM

It isnt considered a moving violation, and I didnt get a fine. They just made me put the 3 inch pipe back on. I think I am going to wait a couple weeks or more to put the 5 inch back on. Maybe right before I go to dyno it on the 22nd I dont know if I was lucky, but I had zero exhaust drone in the cab with either the 3 inch or 5 inch straight pipe. I have noticed that most of the people that have a drone have their exhaust exit at a 45* angle. Both my 3 inch and 5 inch came straight out the passenger side. I guess that would be considered a 180* angle. Maybe that fixes the drone problem.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:08 PM

Wow that sucks. i havent been stopped yet but my mom keeps telling me shes going to report my truck for being too loud
Old 10-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by oestreich84
Officer friendly gave me a written warning that would have turned into a fine if I didnt change my exhaust so it was quieter. So I had to put my stock exhaust back on today and go down to the police station to get it inspected . I guess I never realized how much louder a 5 inch straight pipe is compared to a 3 inch straight pipe. I miss my 5 inch already and I've only put about 15 miles on it. O yea, my egt's went up about 200*. Turbo whistle is a lot quieter, and the response is slower. When I am driving through town now, people dont turn around to see what is coming. I am so sad.
That bites! I say put it back on and dont horse it to much in town. I know its hard not to do Maybe the cop had a bad day and you just happened to be in his crosshairs. I love my 5" straight pipe. Can carry on a normal conversation in the cab and no drone and its not raspy. put it back on and be carefull who you let hear it.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a Uniform Citation tonight for the same thing. This is what it said:

1.) Disorderly Conduct:

"Subject was observed traveling in Peddler's Mall parking lot with a very loud exhaust. Subject kept pumping the gas making the exhaust extremly loud and blowing large puffs or black smoke. Subject had a large exhaust stack coming up through the bed of the truck which made the exhaust louder than normal."

I GOT HER PULLED ALREADY. No more citations for Matt.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:31 PM

My warning said " faulty exhaust system" I told him that it was only a couple months old and that it isnt even that loud (compared to stacks) Then he looked under my truck and told me that he would have to issue me a citation for removing the kitty. When I told him that my truck didnt come with one he laughed for a minute and said "really" We ended up talking for about 15 minutes and that is why I only got a warning. Did I forget to mention that I left about a hundred yards of black mark ( I really need a anti spin diff) I will post the video that my friend got asap. Its pretty funny.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
For those of you worried about pssing a visual inspection after losing the muffler, check this out. It's a straight pipe with a muffler can welded to it. Looks like a muffler, but really is straight pipe.

Click here and check out the Sneaker.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. Put the muffler on, got the ticket signed off, took muffler back off.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cop told me that stacks are now illegal. I'm going to go to the courthouse and get a copy of that law, just so I can read it myself, and see how I can become "legal" again...
Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

MassyMan

Be sure to post the "law"???? so's we can read how not to be legal

Quick Reply: Got pulled over last night