Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Got my Truck back last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Truck back last night

Well after being pacient for a month, I finally got my truck back last night from Mass Diesel. My truck got another brand new DTT tranny put in, my first one melted down. It sucked that it happend, but you live and you learn. While my truck was there, I also had a cam put in it . These things are great. Truck runs real well, about 100 to 200 degrees cooler on the EGT side of things and very quick spool up. It realy made all my power adders come together nicely. You really notice the cam being there with the boxes turned on. Just turning on the edge comp box in EZ mode was amazing. It never ran as good as it does now with just the comp box in EZ mode, almost seems as though i dont even need the TST comp box. I would recomend a cam to anyone who has high HP potenial, it realy makes those power adders come to life. I went with a schied cam. Mass Diesel does some great work, i recomend them to anyone who wants to modify there truck.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Thats great man. I can't wait to see what you pull on your next dyno run, let alone your et in a 1/4 Mach 6's, cam, 66 turbo- that things got to pull some g's

I still have to wonder how a big turbo with an aftermarket cam perform compared to a truck with a stock cam and twins
Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 PM

Sounds like a good setup
Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM

I should be hitting the rollers on nov. 11, and possibly sooner, but i am waiting to hear back from NOSPIN4ME on that. I have been in only one truck that had twins, they were ATS twins in an 05 6 speed. The truck went really well, pull hard. I have raced him at the track before and beat him, but he blew my doors off at the line, he left in third gear dual disc clutch and also with a shot of nitrous, not sure how much though. I am a little anxious about going back to the track, that is how I melted my first tranny down, and god knows i dont need that to happen again.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Well you're just going to be gunshy until you go to the track and give er hell. Do it for your own peace of mind =P

With all the goodies you've got it might take some tuning to find the stack/setting that makes the most power on your truck, but I'd be willing to bet you'll see 600 on a dynojet 550 minimum.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news on getting your truck back Mike. Looks like we're waiting for Nov. 11 for the dyno. The guy in NH never got back to me so screw him.

We'll go see Dez.

You up for the track tonight?

I'll call you later.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
... I am a little anxious about going back to the track, that is how I melted my first tranny down.....
Can't imagine being a month without my truck! Glad you got it back.

Details please. What broke & why? Let's let others know what not to do, if that's what happened! Did I miss a post on that?

RJ
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
...I still have to wonder how a big turbo with an aftermarket cam perform compared to a truck with a stock cam and twins
I've been researching this very question and think I have the answer.
Three biggest advantages to the performance cam are...
1- Faster spool up
2- 200-300* lower EGT's
3- Wider max power band

Stock Cam and twins will provide #1 & #2 only, But, IMO, twins do it better than a cam!

With twins AND THE CAM, spoolup would be even faster and the additional lowering of EGT's would be great at the drag strip, or towing heavy. With my BD twins I am in the red on the pyro for the last third of a 1/4 mile run; slowly topping out at 1450*.

The wider max power band comes from better breathing (which you get at all rpm's) and is like 2500 rpm to 3100 rpm, as opposed to 2600 rpm to 2800 rpm with stock cam. These #'s apply only to 24v CTD's.
And don't forget the additional expense of stiffer after market valve springs, recommended by many for all setups over 50 psi boost, with or without the cam.

Cam & valve springs cost about 2/3 the price of twins, without labor.... but many, myself included, would not tackle the cam job. Many more of us can do the twins install, which puts the prices alot closer.

Hope this helps.

RJ
Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Chapter President

Did first gear burn up?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks Rowland

In the cam vs twins thread ctd2001 said he was getting a new and improved DTT TC and VB
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM

I remember that, but above he referred to a 'melt down' ??

RJ
Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

I remember him saying that he was staging at the lights and suddenly the truck just wouldn't move.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:22 PM

That's about the only thing I worry about that might tear up a DTT with Billet shafts.... staging with high boost and having to hold if for too long.

I think that will tear up any tranny! JMO.

RJ
Old 10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Yup. These tranny's are tough but they definately aren't invincible. I fully intend on trying to find the limits.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:06 PM

I burnt up first gear back at the end of August at the track. I welded the first gear clutches together. Scott had to use a plasma cutter to cut them off so he could save my billet input shaft. I did not stage the light for a long time, just to much power staging the light is what killed it. I just wanted to try to get a better launch then the previous times i was at the strip. My tranny now has the latest updated 47re valve body and the latest TC. I am not to sure what the updates are that are done to the VB and TC. I could have gone to the 48re valve body, but that was another $800 i think, or something like that.
I am lovin the cam, trucks feels alot different then it did before, pulls alot harder then it did. I deff. see a reduction in EGTs, close to 200 degrees. The spooling of the 66 is pretty darn quick. In over drive i can hit 10psi of boost at about 1700 rpms. The exhaust seems to be a bit louder with the cam, a slight change in note too, but no very drastic, probably only something us diesel guys would catch. I want to get her on the rollers bad, Nov 11 cant come soon enough.

Quick Reply: Got my Truck back last night