Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

got my engine back today

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking got my engine back today

ok, i got my motor all back and together , it's just about ready to go in the truck. i have a big pole winch truck and stuff so putting it in with motor tranny all attached will be easy. i ended up letting the machine shop put the head on and adjust the valves, i got some injectors off ebay since i hammered the old ones out of the head. i am wondering how tight to get the injectors now and if they are supposed to have a little copper washer that goes on them. and if not, where can i buy them and-or will it run w/o them. i got a clutch and i am putting the i.p. on next. i took the front cover off and just got a 3/8 flat washer, grade 8 and put it on the little bolt right beside the kdp and put it over top of my kdp and tightened the bolt up. the washer bent a little as i tightened the bolt, it's pretty tight, so i don't think it is going anywhere, very simple when the motor is out of the truck. is there anything else i need to do while i it's still out of the truck. by the way, i mashed that kdp in another 1/8 of an inch or so when i tightened it up, the motor had 150,000 miles on it, but i don't know if they messed with that pin at the shop. is there any easier way to time the pump by using the line-up pins on the motor-pump and counting teeth or something like that??? surely there's a set number of teeth from tdc of the pump gear or soemthing. theres about 65 teeth on the pump gear, so that would make each tooth something like 10 degrees, but if you jump the cam gear one tooth, you can move the pump in 5* incriments. but still i don't know how many teeth means 9 m.m. or whatever it is inside the pump like the dial indicator method says. i dunno, i may just go buy a dial indicator and the special socket.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:14 PM

what should i do with my old pistons and valves?? surely theres something creative i could do with them. otherwise i will just put a piston and a few valves in my glovebox for a conversation piece.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by banks twinram
what should i do with my old pistons and valves?? surely theres something creative i could do with them. otherwise i will just put a piston and a few valves in my glovebox for a conversation piece.
Im not that creative but you should be able to clean them up and make something out of them....

Someone will have a good idea.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Ashtrays?

Don't know about the valves, let me ponder that for a bit.
Chris
Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 PM

Would you mind shipping an old piston and con-rod together? Ive been wanting one to stare at . I will pay for shipping.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 PM

i re-used the connecting rods, i will send you a piston if you want one, i gotta keep at least one. the wrist pin on these things are HUGE!!!!!!!!!! if i had a connecting rod i would give you one.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned

don't want to step on any toes, but if the pistons are in good shape, I'd sell them as a set. how much you want for 'em?

Forrest
Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 PM

How much does one piston wiegh? Ill take it without the rod. I was just hoping... Put a wrist pin in it if you have one to spare. See how much it wieghs and gimme your zip code, im gonna see how much shipping is.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 PM

i don't really think the pistons are worth much, the rings are sloppy loose in them and one looks like it got purdy toasty. the rings i think are perminately stuck on that one. i think it had a bad injector and got really hot. besides, i think i'd rather look at them. pistons are cheap, like 400 bucks aftermarket. the wrist pins and rods are HUGE in these engines, no wonder they weigh 1100 lbs and last so long WHEN TAKEN CARE OF, and how am i suposed to weigh a piston?? take it to the post office? i'll send it to you if you pay me for shipping and make a donation to DTR.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM

Make a " Wall of Carnage " if it's damaged. Fix up a board real nice, router the edges and stuff, make it big lol so you can add parts later. So far on mine I have 2 melted 5.9L pistons, 1 8.3L piston with a hole through it, a broken con rod from a BB Ferd, a 3rd member from a 9" ferd that had the nose twisted off it ( 3500 rpm launch at the dragstrip ) and a pinion gear missing 4 teeth from a 97 Trans Am. Makes for great conversation when your motorhead buddies come over lol.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 AM

wall of carnage, i love it! no iston is totally melted, but if these federal moguil brand pistons don't hold up to the abuse i give it, i think i will definately make a board for it. i thought 9" were indestructible... and how do you keep all that iron hanging on the wall??? you must have a good stud-finder and 20 penny nails or something! great idea. i will do that someday. i have a few broken rods and a 3-piece camchaft out of a 460 ferd to start the collection!
Old 02-05-2005, 12:10 AM

Lag Bolts,
Old 02-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a piston and the massive wrist pin sitting right here on my desk at work out of my truck. Everybody that looks at the two says "man, look a the size of that wrist pin" and I say "end of the diesel comparison conversation".
Old 02-05-2005, 09:31 AM

wrist pin size comparison

I have lots of photos of engine components.

... i am wondering how tight to get the injectors now and if they are supposed to have a little copper washer that goes on them. and if not, where can i buy them and-or will it run w/o them. ...
Yes, you use a copper washer/shim in the bore. It seals and sets the injector height.
My book says 44 ft-lbs on the nut. This is wet torque. Paint the threads with a little anti-seize.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:24 PM

thanks fueling around, i was wondering how tight i should get them. 44 ft lbs = about 3 seconds of the impast on low setting lol, no i have a torque wrench. has anybody ever installed injectors in a new-rebuilt head?? they just drop in like nothing. i got my washers. and anitseaze.

Quick Reply: got my engine back today