Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goodyear MTR's on.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Goodyear MTR's on.....

For those of you with Goodyear MTR's.....

I just replaced my BFG MT's with the Goodyears stayed with 285's until I can find some wheels that I like. I thought 3 sets of BFG's each providing just shy of 50K was good and wanted to mix things up a little.

Does anyone else feel sidewall slop? The cornering is obviously reduced dramaticly. I'm leary as to whether or not these rubbers will hold up to the torque of even moderate acceleration and braking.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:29 PM

It's the "D" rating. I forget exactly but D's only have 5 ply sidewalls, I think. If you can get them in an "E" they would be a lot stiffer with a 10 ply sidewall. I know they offer "E" MTR's but I forget what size.

I ran a set of 35" MT/R's on my 4Runner years ago and they were on track to get 50K before they got jacked As far as performance, MT/R's were great on dry rock, in mud they sucked.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:45 PM

you should always get tires with the "E" rating for these trucks, i'm just running stock size commercial BFG's and i've barely got 20K out of them, I need to wear 2/32 of rubber off then i can get the mileage warranty and replace them.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes i have had that problem with most Mud terraings and most D rated tired Drated tires are 8 ply E are 10 ply. my 315/75 R16 BFG AT's had a D rating but had a higher weight rating than my old E rated 265/75 16 tires.

Out of all the tires i have run the BFG AT's handled just as well if not better than an E rated 285 or comparable 235 tire.

MT's be it Goodyear, BFG, Procomp, TSL were a pain sloppy and wandered alot when compared to my AT's. Also MT tread life was usually 20% less if not more sometimes. My MTRs only made it 30k miles my AT's typically made it to 50-60k no problem. used to haul heavy witht he big rubber and had minimal handling issues actually could not tell the difference
Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Its funny about the D and E rating and how some people just dont get it, or care. From what I understand E's are the way to go. D's will work and C's will give you mad sidewall flex. ITs crazy how fast some tires can get chewed up!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by yarddog
It's the "D" rating. I forget exactly but D's only have 5 ply sidewalls, I think. If you can get them in an "E" they would be a lot stiffer with a 10 ply sidewall. I know they offer "E" MTR's but I forget what size.

I ran a set of 35" MT/R's on my 4Runner years ago and they were on track to get 50K before they got jacked As far as performance, MT/R's were great on dry rock, in mud they sucked.
Actually, "ply rating" has NOTHING to do with the ACTUAL number of plies on the tire.

From PepBoys.com:
A light truck tire's ply rating and/or load range does not count the actual number of body plies found inside the tire, but indicates an equivelant strength based on earlier bias ply tires. Most radial light truck tires actually have one steel or two or three fabric body plies.

E-rated tires are worth it, but don't misled as to what the rating actually means.....