Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

good single disk clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
I could care less if my clutch digs a hole through my flywheel, when I upgrade it will not be anything except a dual disk from ValAir.

I took my clutch out after a few days of driving and everything looked new except the flywheel had a rub from the pucks on the clutch disk. I only took it out because my rear main blew out.
You should care about your flywheel, because if a clutch eats the flywheel, it shortens its own life as it increases the clearance between the disc and the flywheel.

I have a Con FE. It's not the smoothest clutch you can get. But it's plenty manageable. It shift much better than ANY multi-disc clutch (basic physics tells you the syncros can't manipulate a multi disc clutch as well as a single due to the higher rotational inertia).

I got the FE because I wanted a clutch that will hold over 500hp, and one that will last a LOOOONG time. Feramic is the only material that will do what I wanted. A metallic clutch will chatter and won't hold without crazy plate loads. A ceramic can be made to hold, but still needs high(ish) plate loads and will eat your flywheel to the point where you'll be pulling things apart to replace the clutch sooner than I wanted to.

That left me in the company of only one option: the feramic FE. It's a proven clutch. It holds. It lasts. It doesn't have silly plate loads. That's what I wanted and that's what I got.

If you want a single disc clutch that holds over 500hp consistently and will hold it for the maximum amount of time, then that leaves you with only one option as well: Con FE.

One more thing about shift smoothness: the larger flywheel/clutch won't shift as smooth as the original 5-speed setup, but the holding power is worth it IMO.

JMO

Justin
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Southbend FE 13"flywheel to match.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was kind of joking about not caring if it grinds through lol. But when I do put in the ValAir DD my stock flywheel will become a garage ornament or maybe an end table... I'm still working on making the ported out head I have that failed a pressure test into a big coffee table

In all seriousness though a ValAir clutch is a great product and Dan will stand behind his products 100%. I speak with Dan pretty frequently and he is a stand up guy, even when I just call to see how things are going he will take the time out of his busy day to chat for a little while.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be looking for a clutch too. I was wondering if those of you who have gone with the organic/feramic facings could try to describe the difference in feel between an org/fer facing and just an organic facing. After speaking with both valair and south bend, both recommended I stay with an organic facing for a 300-350hp daily driver/my work truck. Everyone else seems to say to go to org/fer facings. So, I like the idea of giving myself room to grow if/when I increase hp again and definitely like the possible duribility gain from adding a fe facing, but, do I sacrifice smoothness of the clutch or that "stock feel"?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hercules
I'm going to be looking for a clutch too. I was wondering if those of you who have gone with the organic/feramic facings could try to describe the difference in feel between an org/fer facing and just an organic facing. After speaking with both valair and south bend, both recommended I stay with an organic facing for a 300-350hp daily driver/my work truck. Everyone else seems to say to go to org/fer facings. So, I like the idea of giving myself room to grow if/when I increase hp again and definitely like the possible duribility gain from adding a fe facing, but, do I sacrifice smoothness of the clutch or that "stock feel"?
I have the 13'' upgrade org/fer valair. I was looking for a single with holding power and smooth engagment for backing to trailers and driving into my snowplow mount. Its smooth enough to inch up to stuff and not slam into it, but it will chatter just a little if you let it out kinda fast with no gas were the stocker was smoother. I can't row the gears as fast as the stock setup, like Hohn said you loose a little shift smoothness but its worth it.