Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Good mods for moderate and cheap powe gains?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good mods for moderate and cheap powe gains?

Hello~! i am new to the forum... i was just wondering. I have a 98 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins... i have an edge ez chip about 70hp and 220 torque, with the tighter elbow to the waist-gate, 4" stainless mandrel bent exhaust and the low fuel pressure indicator light. Other than that all else is stock. I bought it from a local and he recently did the upgrade on 5th gear as it went out just before i bought it, also put in clutch. I have 130k on it and it had 117k when i bought it 2yrs ago. It had the chip and i put in the exhaust.

I was wondering what else would be good upgrades for the least amount of money? I would like to gain about another 50 hp and 100-200 more torque. Just enough to feel better acceleration but not so much that i really need to start beefing up drive-train and coolers. I have looked at the edge with attitude tuner but is expensive and looks like i would need to make some drivetrain upgrades.

I was thinking either the S&B or AFE cold air intake? also thinking about a compressor wheel upgrade? I would appreciate any advice and i appreciate your time!! ;]

I have the k&N square replacement filter, so im not sure if i really need a cold air system. I talked to the muffler shop that installed my exhaust and he said that when they dynoed my year the stock with a napa gold filter had a better output an that other than a certain bmw they tested they have never found stock to be better. Granted he said that was only the case in my 98 style intake. Anyhow... if this is true would i be better off keeping the k&N filter and spend money on edge with attitude instead? If i get that tuner will i need to upgrade my clutch?... 5spd manual.

D
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM

If you want to go for more horses, you will need to buy some sort of gauges, and the juice with attitude already has that. other wise, you spend a little less for a different box and still have the expense of gauges.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More ponies get a set of sticks and a Fass fuel system. You need gauges for sure. You will notice the difference form the FASS for sure. Lower egt and more boost.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what clutch was put in? if it's a stock replacement you may start slipping with another 100 lbs of torque.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dblack98
Hello~! i am new to the forum... i was just wondering. I have a 98 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins... i have an edge ez chip about 70hp and 220 torque, with the tighter elbow to the waist-gate, 4" stainless mandrel bent exhaust and the low fuel pressure indicator light. Other than that all else is stock. I bought it from a local and he recently did the upgrade on 5th gear as it went out just before i bought it, also put in clutch. I have 130k on it and it had 117k when i bought it 2yrs ago. It had the chip and i put in the exhaust.

I was wondering what else would be good upgrades for the least amount of money? I would like to gain about another 50 hp and 100-200 more torque. Just enough to feel better acceleration but not so much that i really need to start beefing up drive-train and coolers. I have looked at the edge with attitude tuner but is expensive and looks like i would need to make some drivetrain upgrades.

I was thinking either the S&B or AFE cold air intake? also thinking about a compressor wheel upgrade? I would appreciate any advice and i appreciate your time!! ;]

I have the k&N square replacement filter, so im not sure if i really need a cold air system. I talked to the muffler shop that installed my exhaust and he said that when they dynoed my year the stock with a napa gold filter had a better output an that other than a certain bmw they tested they have never found stock to be better. Granted he said that was only the case in my 98 style intake. Anyhow... if this is true would i be better off keeping the k&N filter and spend money on edge with attitude instead? If i get that tuner will i need to upgrade my clutch?... 5spd manual.

D
for the intake to me nothing beats the AEM brute force HD intakes, thats what im getting. Since you already have a chip you need gauges and id recommend either danin or auto-meter boost and pyro gauges. then if you still want more id get either the quad adreniline or a smarty.