Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Good Exhaust and Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good Exhaust and Pipe

Going to need a new exhaust...tail pipe rotted off at the connection to the exhaust tank. ...tank looks good, but don't think there's enough "nub" left to attach a tail pipe.

Would appreciate a recommendation for a good exhaust tank and tail pipe. (and est cost). Not looking for soup'd up fancy, ...just maybe a small tick above stock.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the 5inch with no muffler i bought for $370 shipped, you can get smaller with the muffler. but i suggest once you do get it to clean it, then paint it with some high temp paint. mine is flo pro/ blue moto, i got it from rpmoutlet.com
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM

talk to Rip at www.sourceautomotive.biz he has pre-made kits but also will sell just pieces you may need. if you have that much rot going may think of replacing the whole system with a 4" system. you can look here on the sites store and send a message and see if they can sell just the parts you need.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by XrockstarD
i have the 5inch with no muffler i bought for $370 shipped, you can get smaller with the muffler. but i suggest once you do get it to clean it, then paint it with some high temp paint. mine is flo pro/ blue moto, i got it from rpmoutlet.com
No muffler...hmmm...new to the concept...why no muffler? Advantages or disadvantages? I imagine it is louder, but does it affect performance one way or the other?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM

If it helps you,I had my tailpipe rot off and decided to replace everything. I Bought a stock tailpipe 3",and 10 feet of 3" tubing,coulple of connectors and a can of Hi-temp primer. Total cost about 200 bucks. I omitted the muffler and can honestly say,Its not that loud(inside anyway) and I have not noticed any change in performance for better or worse.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM

I paid like $250 ish i think for a 4 inch MBRP exhaust off eBay.. Straight through no muffler , it sounds pretty sweet with the turbo sing though it.. of course I had to customize the downpipe because I have a Custom HX40 on the truck too and the system is for a stock exhaust replacement.. but all is fine though because i have a true 4 inch front to back no 3 to 4 inch flange at the turbo..
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM

or get a 5" like mine with no muffler. the thing is really quiet.
but there is a reason cause it makes a no conversation momment in the truck cause I cant hear. and i dont have to answer my cell.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by danalex
Going to need a new exhaust...tail pipe rotted off at the connection to the exhaust tank. ...tank looks good, but don't think there's enough "nub" left to attach a tail pipe.

Would appreciate a recommendation for a good exhaust tank and tail pipe. (and est cost). Not looking for soup'd up fancy, ...just maybe a small tick above stock.

I got a "Silverline" 5" w/muffler on my 1999 CTD and a "Flo Pro" 5" w/o a muffler on my 2011. Both exhausts were perfect in fitment and I love them both. My recommendation is to go with whoever has the best deal. As far as w/ or w/o muffler, if you want more drone and noise go without the muffler. If you like to hear yourself think, go with the muffler. You should be able to find a full turbo back exhaust for 300 or less. Of course if you want stainless steel its gonna be more.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM

i got a 4'' straight pipe mbrp for around $300 (Canada) and a bhaf at my local napa for $40. this setup works great and is extremely cheap in my opinion. only difference in straight pipe vs performance muffler is that the mufflered system won't resonate or drone at certain rpms....sound level will otherwise b the same so unless that makes a difference to u save $$ and go straight pipe. mine drones 1250-1300 and at 2300 rpm. but the amount of driving i do in those specific rpms is next to none so all it does is sound sweet as u accelerate thru them i can talk on my cell and have a normal conversation at highway speeds so honestly speaking a straight pipe system isn't that loud and obnoxious as some ppl try to make it sound. maybe theyr thinking of a ricer......
Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 AM

I have a 5" system with a muffler, its actually quieter than my previous 4" muffled system from Summit Racing. I got it from a seller called "markoidaho" on ebay. A 4" muffled from him is $300 shipped. Personally, I would find a way to come up with the extra money for a stainless system. I've made the mistake of going aluminized steel twice now, I won't make the same mistake again.

John
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bought several exhaust from www.warpspeedperformance.com and they have been of great quality and zero fitment issues. Price is hard to beat as well! I just ordered a 4" SS for $325 with muffler for my 96'. Military also gets 5% discount.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Hi, I'm back! Thanks for all the informative replies.
Last Sunday night I bought the Diamond Eye 4" Stainless Turbo Back Single Exhaust from: www.alligatorperformance.com. With cheapest shipping (free) it arrived superfast (on Wednesday!!)--wow! That's impressive!

I'm ready to install it now and I'm reading the instructions that came with the kit and they seem pretty straight forward...except, the instructions mention tools needed and include a 1/2" drill...but I can't seem to find in the instructions WHERE the drill will be utilized?

Also, even tho it is stainless (not shiny), I had a can of high-temp paint in the garage, so I sprayed the rear tailpipe...matches my black truck.

Can anyone clarify why or where I'd need the 1/2" drilly for this install??

Thanks!

Installation Instructions; K4212A

1994-2002 Dodge 5.9L 4”

Tools needed: 9/16” end wrench or socket, 7/16” deep socket, hacksaw or sawzall, aerosol lubricant, 1/2” drill.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The drill is for you to tap a hole into your brain for confusion.

I have no idea what the drill is for. Sounds like a practical joke in the instructions.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 AM

From what I remember, if you are putting an aftermarket system on a 12V 2nd gen you will need to get the tailpipe hanger for a 24v one and install it on your truck. In order to do that you have to drill a hole in the frame (maybe a couple, its been almost 10 years) so maybe that's what the drill is for. You could rig the pipe with something else but why would you cobble some ghetto rig on your nice new exhaust?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 AM

At the bottom of the listing for the DE kit it says you'll need a hanger kit for 94-97 trucks.

Hanger Kit

Quick Reply: Good Exhaust and Pipe