Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Going from Skyjacker D25s to CSS Springs :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from Skyjacker D25s to CSS Springs :)

Wife called today and said the brown truck was there and I got a package she couldn't move from the porch to the garage She ended up opening the box and rolling these in one at a time:

They are from Coil Spring Specialties and are supposed to be a 2.5" lift over stock and are supposed to compensate for my bumper replacement. Will be installing them on Sunday along with an offset trackbar bushing from Lazarsmith.

Beer is on me for whoever wants to come over and help

I am currently running Skyjacker D25 and I believe over time they have sagged.

~Rob
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob,
Doing mine tomorrow! Heavy suckers. Much heavier than I remember the stockers being...I think?
Will be interesting to see if any difference in ride/feel vs stock w/ 2" spacer!
If I have any back left...I'll swing by! But that is the final round of the US Open....So?? Can't play anymore but love to watch the whole show.
If your starting early enough I might make it! (Still owe you for helping with my Lock Up Switch Light!)

RJ
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Chapter President

Looks beefy!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Rob,
Doing mine tomorrow! Heavy suckers. Much heavier than I remember the stockers being...I think?
Will be interesting to see if any difference in ride/feel vs stock w/ 2" spacer!
If I have any back left...I'll swing by! But that is the final round of the US Open....So?? Can't play anymore but love to watch the whole show.
If your starting early enough I might make it! (Still owe you for helping with my Lock Up Switch Light!)

RJ
Thanks RJ, I'll let you know when we start.

Originally Posted by haloman
Looks beefy!!!!
They do, and I believe they are heavier than the stockers as RJ mentioned (and not just because of the added 2.5"). I still have the stockers in the attic. I will try to remember to get a pic of the stockers, Skyjackers and these all next to each other.

~Rob
Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Rob, you have Skyjacker D25 without any lift on the rear??
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by smokinram99
Rob, you have Skyjacker D25 without any lift on the rear??
Yep, it leveled out nicely with that combo. I don't think the SJ D25's gave me a true 2.5" lift because of the bumper.

Here are some pics with the SJ D25's and stock rear:

Aftermarket 17" rims with 305/70-17's

Stock 16" rims with 285/75-R16s

I put airbags on the rear 2weeks ago. If the new springs make the truck "nose high", I will adjust the rear with the bags.

~Rob
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Are you running soft leaf packs on the back that you use the air bags to compensate for when running loaded?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
... I will try to remember to get a pic of the stockers, Skyjackers and these all next to each other.
Pic would be outstanding!
I had my CSS springs still in back of my truck so I just mic'ed them with an adjustable spanner. (My Mic is home).
Definately a bigger diameter on the new springs, compared to stock. I'd guesstimate 1/8" stouter .... at least 3/32nds.
Does this mean less compression? Don't know. Guess we'll both find out.

Originally Posted by Kawi600
Ive never seen that trackbar offset before..... What's it do?
- Offset bushing(s) re-centers front frame on axle. 2" lift pulls frame (via trackbar) about 1/4" toward passenger side.

RJ
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM

There are coil spacers with 2inches of lift....Are there any 2in replacement coils? I don't wanna risk my truck to be "Nose High"....
Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Are you running soft leaf packs on the back that you use the air bags to compensate for when running loaded?
Nope, stock rear from the factory. I have the camper package with overload springs.

~Rob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

I have the same stock camper package (double overload springs) in the rear and went with the CSS 2.5" custom coils a couple years ago. I also replaced the shocks with the Bilstein 5100s at the same time. I was and am totally happy with the results. I'd say my truck rides truly level from front to back now. It did look a little nose-high at first, but it could have been just getting use to the new look since I went from stock saggy springs to the CSS.

Honestly, they sagged, but less than 1/4" which I expected. I went with a soft spring rate so they ride great. Thicker coils doesn't necessarily mean harder rate.

I'd help ya, but looks like you're a bit far away from me.

Enjoy!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We put Rowland's CSS's on today - went pretty well except for the missing OEM parts. Had to rob a pair of shock tower mounting rings from another truck (hey, we had to R&R the coils on that thing anyway! )

So, when you go back to coil lifts from spacer lifts....
Don't forget the factory bits & pieces!

The new springs have .095" thicker wire diameter than the stockers, and were exactly 2" taller free height... installed height started at .250" higher than with leveling spacers.
The original springs were .040" different side-to-side (driver's thicker, of course), but the new coils were only ~5-10 thousands apart.

Rob, I might have to come over & soak up some free beer while dispensing sage morsels of installation wisdom! Like: how to remove all of the passenger-side vacuum tubing, harness plugs & brake hoses in one fell swoop ........ just kidding about that one - but I did show Rowland how to get the coils in w/o a pry bar.

Also, I got both OEM track bar bushings out with just 2 shots of the BFH (gettin' better in my old age!) - let's see how your press does with my driver/receiver combo.

We also inspected his ELS (external lubrication system), which is working quite well, and the lower ball joints - which had the usual amount of wear for stockers (yep - that bad ) Also replaced the endlink grommets with some newish OEMs, since I was fresh out of the high-durometer urethane biscuits.

Not much else of note to report, except for the 18mm track bar bolt we re-broached to 11/16" (darn impact guns! ) All in all - job well done, eh mate?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
We put Rowland's CSS's on today - went pretty well except for the missing OEM parts. Had to rob a pair of shock tower mounting rings from another truck
Seeing as how you live near me, I am going out right now to check my shock tower mounts

Install will be sometime on Sunday, probably around noon or a little earlier.
Let me know. Chocolate Stout right?

~Rob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shock towers are safe - but we did appreciate your passenger side track bar bolt!

Noonish on Sunday sounds about right - I'll bring offset bushing, driver & receiver.... and plenty of kibbitzing.

p.s. 10-4 on the Young's!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM

Yup! Totally forgot (long ago discarded) factory tower mounts. Dumb, especially since I spent time trying to second guess all we would need!
Thanks XLR8R.... for your help and the extra parts!!

'Smokinram99' - they make any length, any stiffness you want!

As for my 2" longer CSS Springs..... interesting difference compared to 2" HBS steel spacers on factory springs.
Rob, suspect your comments may be very different, coming from SJ springs??
Difference is not dramatic but definately noticable, and hard to describe. I would say: not stiffer... not softer. But front end is tighter!
New bushings might be big part of that? XLR8R, Checked my records. The 03 Track Bar was installed 6/14/04.... almost 4 yrs ago exactly!
So not bad wear/tear for over 100,000 miles. Agree?

And the 2" longer settled overnight to exactly level (about 1/2" high in the front after install).
No major difference on hwy at 70 mph, but when I hit a few back roads I'm familiar with, one being badly wash boarded, they shine nicely.

My 03 trackbar took 2 -1/8" offset bushings.

Factory Spring on left (155,000 miles)!

RJ

Quick Reply: Going from Skyjacker D25s to CSS Springs :)