Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Going from o-rings to fire-rings

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from o-rings to fire-rings

If I go with o-rings now and then later on down the road out grow them, can i use fire-rings without using a different head?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM

i thought they were the same thing?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 PM

I always wondered what the difference was also. I heard the fire-rings hold more boost than o-rings, but not sure on that.
Can some one clear this up please?
Thanks
Cory
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM

From my understanding and feel free to correct me if im wrong. An o-sing is good up to 70-80 psi boost. With an o-ring you only cut a groove in the head and the steel ring hols pressure on the fire ring in a factory head gasket.
Withe fire-rings you cut grooves in the head and block and actually use a head gasket that has the rings cut out of it. And I think they are good for 80+ boost. Also its not recommended to use fire-rings for a DD because of the heat cycles.

Hope that makes it clear as mud
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ahire
From my understanding and feel free to correct me if im wrong. An o-sing is good up to 70-80 psi boost. With an o-ring you only cut a groove in the head and the steel ring hols pressure on the fire ring in a factory head gasket.
Withe fire-rings you cut grooves in the head and block and actually use a head gasket that has the rings cut out of it. And I think they are good for 80+ boost. Also its not recommended to use fire-rings for a DD because of the heat cycles.

Exactly what I was told.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Your desription is right.I daily drive mine with fire rings. There are about 5 of us around here with them some are going on 3+ years of DD.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin Flatbed
Your desription is right.I daily drive mine with fire rings. There are about 5 of us around here with them some are going on 3+ years of DD.
I think it depends on the wire you use. I gotta friend that just put Haisley's fire-rings in his truck and they didnt last 6 mo. I will say this though he is kinda known to cut corners every now and then so it might be prep work and not the kit.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Fire rings can be cut in either the head or the block or both...
Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 AM

so how do I go about chooseing which wire size to use. What are the different sizes for and what size of wire are you guys using for daily driving. I know with my modds now I don't need them but I will after sticks twins and smarty stack.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM

exactly except you dont have to cut the block. you cut the factory fire ring out of the stock gasket and the new wire ring seals directly aginst the block.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 AM

O-rings use the fire ring in the head gasket, they just crimp the fire ring for better seal. With Fire-rings, the stock fire ring is cut out of the gasket and a soft steel ring is used in its place. The soft steel compresses when you torque the head.
In my engine the groove is cut in the head. You can do either block, head, or both as was said before. Cutting the groove in the block and head is the best as it give more sealing edges for the fire ring to seat against.
Have no issues what so ever with my set-up....... so far
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM

I've got the 0-rings with the .20 over cummins marine gasket and ARP 625+ studs. I've been told by Tim Barber that he has the same setup and he's up over 1000rwhp now without nitrous. I was worrying that 700rwhp may be too much but look like I have nothing to worry about
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ScottGregory
O-rings use the fire ring in the head gasket, they just crimp the fire ring for better seal. With Fire-rings, the stock fire ring is cut out of the gasket and a soft steel ring is used in its place. The soft steel compresses when you torque the head.
In my engine the groove is cut in the head. You can do either block, head, or both as was said before. Cutting the groove in the block and head is the best as it give more sealing edges for the fire ring to seat against.
Have no issues what so ever with my set-up....... so far
so which is better out of fire-ring just head or oring, lil confused.

where do you get fire-ring gaskets?

thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM

i'v got fire rings from haisleys and going on 3 years. drive it every day and long trips to florida "750 miles one way".... i think either one is very good. i think falls under whata like ... but prep works the key on both ,, good prep work on o-ring or fire ring ,both will last a long time just make sure your trucks up to temp before jumping on it