Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goin' for the comp, now which injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goin' for the comp, now which injectors?

I'm finally gonna make the jump and buy myself an Edge Comp along with gauges, and I'm thinking of adding injectors too. This seems like a smart move if it is easier on the VP44. Is is better to buy bigger injectors say...120's over 275 rv. I've seen alot on many other sites and I have no clue which injector is best and Why? Also with this setup, if i am careful - can I hold off on any tranny upgrades for now or with sensible driving will I fry the stock tranny?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Comp with wire tapped will kill the transmission, w/o injectors. Spend you money on transmission upgrades before it dies, then most people here will probably say to buy at least 100HP injectors, then a box second.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:38 PM
DRD

I don't think aftermarket injectors are any easier on your injection pump than the stock injectors. What is harder on your injection pump is tapping the wire with a box. You will toast the tranny with a box and injectors. You may find a stock turbo can't cool a comp box and big injectors also....You have to decide what you want for power and buy right the first time instead of spending alot more cash trying to make something work or being afraid to mash the pedal.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Tranny, tranny, tranny. If you tap the pump wire on the comp, it's gonna roast your tranny on anything above level 2. You can leave it untapped for now until you upgrade the tranny. I'm running my comp that way and put on a set of 275 injectors and it's a great combo. No smoke unless I want it, very good driveability, lots of power. But if I were you, I'd buy the comp, leave the wire untapped, upgrade the tranny, tap the wire, and see how you like that. If you want more, then upgrade the injectors.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO I would say get some 90-120 hp injectors and run the comp in ez mode untill you do the tranny. Buying 275s is a step you dont need( chances are you will go bigger shortly after) How long your tranny lasts will be up to how agressive you are on the go peddle. Once you tap the wire your gonna need a bigger turbo to control the temps also. Just my $.02
Old 03-28-2005, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trans first, then box, then injectors.

Larger injectors aren't easier on the pump than small ones, but injectors as a power uprate ARE generally easier on the pump than wire-tapping is (in terms of duty cycle).

I have 90hp injectors and they are too small, even here in the high altitude. I have very little smoke and EGTs are under control. This, with stock exhaust, BHAF, and 6000ft elevation.

My injectors are also honed. Since I recommend EDMs from Don M, I'd say 100hp is the smallest to consider. The new Mach 4 is probably the way to go for sportiness.

jlh
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may or may not "fry the stock tranny"...but if you do, it will cost you more to upgrade it. Do the tranny first and you will be amazed how big an improvement it is ...all by itself!

If looking down the road at an Edge Comp and big injectors...do the full rebuild on the tranny and never worry about it again...at least for the next 400 hp.

When it comes time for injectors, do it only once....go straight to Mach 4's. IMO, you'll end up there anyway, and they drive better, with lower egt's and less smoke than smaller injectors. Definately state of the art....for now anyway!

RJ

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Banned

Comp box will take your tranny for a ride I ran a stock tranny with a comp and rv's for about 45k 85k overall on transmission the truck spent it first 40k stock. Tranny never went south but It definitely did not know what to do with the power Get some guages and put on the comp without wire tap and see what you think if you want more power or alot more power than your results than start investigating tranny options billet torque convertor and valve body or the whole package deal built tranny and billet convertor. I would be glad to help with any questions you may have,

Kyle