Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goerends, ATS, or DTT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another bump for HTS, there's a handful of 600+hp trucks running around with HTS trannys.

Randy
Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 PM

I am going with Goerends after talking to all the bilders and people that have them. getting it in next week.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 PM

This is funny reading the posts. Do any of you guys even know anything about trannys? If you did you can easily see that all good trannys are built to spec by an excellent builder. Most of the parts are the exact same in each of these trannys. Some increase line pressure to hold more power and some add more/bigger clutches to hold more power etc... Any good tranny builder with this knowledge can build a bullet proof trans. These trannys are very simple.
The big differance is which builder has more R&D and has designed there tranny to perform at it's best. I'd put my money on whoever has been doing this the longest.
Instead of my tranny is better than your tranny try doing a little research on what is better. A nice guy doesn't make a better tranny builder than an Edit.
I get a kick out of the guy who says his tranny is the best, although he has never driven or even rode in anything besides stock. Heck all are better than stock.
You should have seen the look on a couple customers faces when I told them there new big $$$ tc was too tight or too loose for there truck. Or the fluid coupling sucked. They all thought it was perfect. I've had them all in the shop 1 time or another.
Yes it's better to buy straight from the builder than to have it built by a local shop with out all the knowledge or experiance.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I'm not sure how the others are with helping "do it yourselfers", I made a few calls to Dave G and went with his parts to build an extra 47re I had laying around. I'm by no means the "tranny man" at work, but have done a few torqueflights and 46/47 units over the years. He had no probs recommending certain items and gave me some tips on the build that actually saved me $$$. My truck is merely a tool to pull my toys and I needed a dependable trans to go the long haul. I'm a satisfied customer and will be ordering more parts to "upgrade" the original trans I took out of my truck. While my truck is bombed pretty mild to most here, with the trans upgrade I'm finally happy with the performance of my 01.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Come next week I'll let you know how my DTT is cause it's being built right now. I like DTT because one I trust the guy building it, two because I like their philosophy of how they make the tranny's stronger, and three because their valvebody alone allowed me to put down the numbers in my sig on an otherwise stock tranny and the valvebody was only built for 350hp.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:55 AM

Wow....what a response. Well they all look like fine tranny builders. I think Ill take one members advice and go with the closest. Goerends. Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about THAT! A "which tranny is best" thread that did not get shut down or turn into a war!

Works well when we stick to our personal experiences, pro OR con, and don't get into what we heard or once read!

Good luck "Angry". I've driven two of Daves trannys and was impressed.

RJ
Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 PM

thanks for airing this out for me too!! I like the thought of getting second gear rubber without worrying about parts comming thru the floor!!!! ALOT of good info here. bruce
Old 11-06-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you looked at NADP?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm a DTT user and would like to throw in my 2c....

I got to know DTT when I had troubles with my stock tranny and Bill Kondolay spent more than an hour on the phone with me- not to sell me any parts or service, but to get me going again with my stocker. This didn't cost me a penny, and it helped me a whole lot. When I researched for my aftermarket tranny I got into contact with a lot of vendors.
I talked to a lot of them and since I do a lot of mountain driving I needed good power transfer at lower speeds without lugging the engine, predictable shifts without braking the rear end loose etc. Good driveability on snow while still maintaining some drag race capabilities. After these discussions with the vendors I had the impression that DTT would tailor the tranny suiting my needs best. That's why I bought there, and more than 120 k miles of abuse later I do not regret it.
I can't comment on other aftermarket transmissions since I have no hands on experience with them.
My suggestion is that you should talk to all the available vendors and tell them what you do with the truck, what you intend to modify etc. Then pick the one that seems to offer the transmission that suits your needs the best.
I think the tranny wars are stupid because a tranny is quite like a shoe. You can have the best, most expensive, titanium alloy protector, flameproof and airconditioned workboots but you won't be satisfied with them if you want to go dancing and they are 2 sizes too big. With the manual tranny guys here it's rather cool if they talk about clutches- not so much flaming but more of an outlook on what's intended- a city driver or a sled puller etc.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
__________________________________________________ _____________
Quote by "redstreak":

"In my personal experience I've never seen an ATS hold serious amounts of power"............................................ ...............................................
__________________________________________________ _____________

From "one North Carolinian to another" here are a few of examples of ATS Transmissions "holding some serious power":

1.) Jimmy Smith's DHRA Pro-Street Scheid Built Dodge CTD 12 valve: 10.2 @ 134 MPH

2.) Scott Bentz's Rear Engined Cummins DHRA Rail Dragster: 7.75 @ 160 MPH

3.) Richard Madsens Ford F-250 4X4 Pickup with a Twin Turbo Cummins Engine: Over 900 RWHP on #2 Diesel alone, on a Dynojet 248 @ "ATS Truckfest" 2006, Denver, Colorado.

FWIW,.....all of these vehicles are running ATS Transmissions.

--------
John_P
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
My suggestion is that you should talk to all the available vendors and tell them what you do with the truck, what you intend to modify etc. Then pick the one that seems to offer the transmission that suits your needs the best.
I think the tranny wars are stupid because a tranny is quite like a shoe. You can have the best, most expensive, titanium alloy protector, flameproof and airconditioned workboots but you won't be satisfied with them if you want to go dancing and they are 2 sizes too big. With the manual tranny guys here it's rather cool if they talk about clutches- not so much flaming but more of an outlook on what's intended- a city driver or a sled puller etc.

AlpineRAM
Well said!